Chris Judd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Chris Judd

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
By the sounds of things it looks like Judd wants to come back home next year. The tiges should exhaust all avenues to get him. However we need to offer something very good to them.

The obvious one is coughlan for judd.

However I beleive something like a Krakour, or a Rodan or a Zantuck plus a first round draft pick could do it. I'd prefer giving up Pettifer or Fiora, or both but I doubt very much WCE would go for it.

We'd have to give up our first round draft pick as there isn't any player besides probably Coughlan and Ottens that could be offered as a straight swap for Judd.

If there is any chance that he could play for us we should be cut-throat about it. With respect to Coughlan the club should sit him down and get full assurance that he wants to be a tiger for life. If he's got thoughts about perhaps wanting to someday return to perth in the future then the club should act now and make a trade. If he's committed to the yellow and black forever then the club should go another avenue to secure Judd. He is exactly what we need - some pace and class in the midfield.

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
Judd will only be traded for a very good player. They wouldn't even return our calls for what was offered above. And our draft pick is unlikely to be particularly attractive anyway. It would have to be someone like Coughlan or Ottens for them to be interested.

Makes you want to cry to think that they use their no 3 pick for a Judd while we used it on a Fiora.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I know this is just speculation right now and it'll come as no surprise that the last person I would want to go would be Mark. You make a lot of sense with what you say Harry and the Club should find out whether he wants to remain here or break our hearts at some stage and want to go back home.

I'd be devastated to think the Club would even contemplate such a trade. In any case Harry, we should be trying to add to our midfield, not rob Peter to pay Paul.

Have to admit I haven't seen much of Judd at all, but he's obviously a very talented player and highly regarded. Obviously it's the Club's duty to improve our playing list, but not at the price we might have to pay.

If Mark wants to go home, that's one thing, but if the Club just went hell for leather to get him, I'd be concerned if we took desperate measures to get such a player.

Within a short time, Mark has shown up our Club for what it has been doing all these years - kidding itself that we're serious about success. He's shown us how so many of our players really haven't been serious about preparing themselves to play the game.

We need his attitude and work ethic at our Club more than we need skill and class right now. When we've got everything else sorted out, skill and class will mean something. Because we have players who possess that now, but it doesn't seem to help us all that much.

We need players who have a strong work ethic and put their heart and soul into our footy Club. We need skill as well, but it's not going to mean much if we don't have the players with the right attitude to go with it.

If we are happy to sell our soul to get Judd, then, as far as I am concerned, we deserve to finish ninth for the next ten years. Because it will show up the lack of faith we have in our footy Club to be successful, unless we take such drastic measures. And we can add that to the long list of narrow minded decisions our Club has made throughout much of our unsuccessful past.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
It has taken Richmond ten years to produce an in and under player in Mark Coughlan (Lambert was the last) and they dont grow on trees.

Richmond already has enough players that play like Judd (Tivendale, Fiora) and they'd be silly IMO to consider a swap of Judd for Coughlan (unless of course Coughlan is hell bent on jumping ship). I think we should hold on to Coughlan like grim death and not sell him for a wingman like Judd. I'd consider trading Bowden and Fiora for Judd but I dont think West Coast will be up for that.

It's incumbent on all the Richmond gals to try their darndest to woo Mark and keep him here. Do it for the team!

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
It's a bit of a catch 22.
I just don't want a star walking out of the club due to being homesick (who knows -it may happen).
I've heard on the big footy boards that Judd's a mad tiger fan so he would be an excellent pick up for our club.
We all know what the best result would be - cleaning our closet,keeping cogs and getting Judd!! :)

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
How about we give West Coast Pettifer, Rogers, King, Houlihan, Biddiscombe, Nicholls, Vardy, Fiora, D. Kellaway, Mills and our first draft pick for Judd? ;D

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Forget Judd all of you.

Firstly WC would want at a minimum at top line player plus a 1, 2 or 3 number draft pick which makes it unlikely that we will be able to offer either.

Secondly, Judd will command HUGE money if he returns to Melbourne, and with our TPP already full and kids such as Coughlan, Rodan and Krak commanding more money will make it impossible unless we offload a player like Otto and run with a list of 34.

The tigers would be better served going after young midfielders who are currently not getting much of a go at their current club. A player I have mentioned on several posts is Brent Guerra from Port. We could get him for much less in a trade and money wise he wouldn't be a problem. He would give us another strong bodied midfielder who is also abit of an in/under and kicks goals.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
RR, isn't Judd coming out of contract? If that's the case, he's got the upper hand hasn't he? He can just walk and WCE get nothing for him.

I guess that scenario might only eventuate if the Eagles don't want to do a deal with the Club that Judd wants to go.

Is that correct?

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
True MC24, but then he goes into the draft and could end up anywhere. And unless we have the first national draft pick, we wouldn't get him.

But if he does want to leave, the WC will have to do a deal, as there isn't much value in standing your ground amd being all moralistic over a player wanting to leave.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
JohnF said:
It has taken Richmond ten years to produce an in and under player in Mark Coughlan (Lambert was the last) and they dont grow on trees.

Richmond already has enough players that play like Judd (Tivendale, Fiora) and they'd be silly IMO to consider a swap of Judd for Coughlan

Well said John. The club would be stupid to do that sort of deal.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Rampaging Richo said:
But if he does want to leave, the WC will have to do a deal ...

That's what I'm saying RR. The Eagles don't want to end up with nothing for him, so they will have to trade as best they can, but not necessarily on their terms.

In the end , it will all depend on how much Judd wants to go to a particular Club.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
JohnF said:

Richmond already has enough players that play like Judd (Tivendale, Fiora)

Please JohnF - don't even mention Fiora and Tivendale in the same breath as Judd - please.

Also players like judd don't grow on trees. I can't remember richmond ever having a player like Judd.

I've watched judd play and he is a gun - a huge chance of winning a brownlow in years to come. Has pace to burn, silky skills and a beautiful kick. We will be doing the RFC a disservice if we don't persue him vigorously.

If we gave up pick number 4 (2) and Torney for Johnson then I'm sure we can sacrifice something a bit more for Judd.

IMO krakour and our first pick (probably pick 9 or 10) could do it as Krak is from WA and he is rated up there.

I suppose it will depend on how we go for the rest of the season. If we fall away then we will be more cut throat. However if we make the finals and have a good finals campaign I don't think we will disturb the playing list too much.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Judd can simply walk and put himself in the draft, but he wont be doing that.

West Coast are already well aware he wants to return to Victoria, and if possible go to the Dees.

THe deal has basically been done already, WC will trade Judd to Melbourne, for Steven Armstong, Matthew Whelan and their first pick providing it is in the top 5, should Melbournes first pick be after pick 5, things will become more complicated, with extra draft picks and players becoming involved.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Harry said:
JohnF said:

Richmond already has enough players that play like Judd (Tivendale, Fiora)

Please JohnF - don't even mention Fiora and Tivendale in the same breath as Judd - please.

Harry, I pretty sure John was talking about the type of player rather than the quality.

I agree with what you say about Judd. He looks to be a gun and I would love to have him at tigerland but not at cogs expense.

Also in the Johnson trade we had a ready-made replacement for Torney in Chris Newman and I doubt (although I might be wrong) we could have gotten Johnson and kept Torney with regards to the TPP.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Harry, I didn't mean to imply that Fiora or Tivendale were on Judd's level, that would be a rediculous statement. What I meant by the comparison was that they were of a similar mould i.e. more wing/ruck rover types than in and under terriers. I dont deny that Judd is/will be a gun player, but I think Richmond has needed a player of Coughlan's mould more than a player of Judd's mould. We need some one to get in there and dish it out to other blokes; and it is in this capacity that Coughlan fills the void.

You may say we need a silky skilled blistering speedster as well: no doubt about that! But i think we could least afford to be without a tough nut in the middle. Judd may end up being a better player than Coughlan, but i just look at it in terms of needing players of the mould where we have the biggest deficiencies, and i dont think you can argue that that's in the department of hard men who impose themselves on contests in the clinches.

Feel free to disagree...

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
If a suitable deal could be done I would happily say go after Judd. But first and foremost you'd think the Eagles would want low draft picks and then players. Not players then draft picks.

Some of the players mentioned I would not consider trading. Cogs - is a Tiger! If he was home sick he wouldn't signed a cotract extenison last season. He is studying at Uni and by all reports is very happy here.

Rodan wouldn't and shouldn't be traded. He has future leader stamped all over him IMO. Krakouer - again I'd be surprised if he was offered as trade bait - he is very happy here and the Club has invested alot of time in him.

What about Newman? I wouldn't trade him myself but what if the Weagles said we'll take your first pick and that kid Newman? Do we take that deal and lose a top up and coming player for another young gun. The answer to that would be a resounding NO I would have thought.

When it is all said and done the Weagles hold all the cards on this one. But that doesn't mean for a second that Greg Miller & Hutchy shouldn't try and weave some magic if Judd is the best talent available and it is in the best interest of the RFC

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
JohnF said:
It's incumbent on all the Richmond gals to try their darndest to woo Mark and keep him here.
Hey I'm trying, I'm trying!!! :rollin

On Judd I wouldn't have him if it meant having to swap him for Cogs. Besides Cogs is contracted til the end of next year so I don't think he'll be going anywhere not unless the club wants to pay out his contract. Not to mention Cogs says he loves playing for richmond, lets hope it stays that way.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
TigersGoddess said:
Hey I'm trying, I'm trying!!!
roll.gif

You and hundreds if not thousands of others TG ;D

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Koalalill said:
Rodan wouldn't and shouldn't be traded. He has future leader stamped all over him IMO. Krakouer - again I'd be surprised if he was offered as trade bait - he is very happy here and the Club has invested alot of time in him.

What about Newman? I wouldn't trade him myself but what if the Weagles said we'll take your first pick and that kid Newman? Do we take that deal and lose a top up and coming player for another young gun. The answer to that would be a resounding NO I would have thought.

I'm also of the opinion that we shouldn't trade Coughlan IF he is committed to us for the long term. However if the eagles wanted one of Rodan, Krakour, or Newman then I would say definately YES. Anyone else with me? I agree the above 3 show a bit of promise, but I doubt they will ever be as good as Judd will be. Hawthorn and St.Kilda are bashing their heads against a wall for not selecting him ahead of Hodge and Ball.