Bye Bye Jack Higgins! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bye Bye Jack Higgins!

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Polak was in a coma for 2 days so he has Higgo covered.

The fact Polak even played football again following it was bloody staggering, talk about courage.

Different causes and injuries however.

Grahams was a Blunt Force Trauma causing direct Brain trauma and Injury.

Higgo's was a collection of blood leaking from a vascular malformation or weakness, not a traumatic injury like Graham suffered when hit by the tram, but a serious life threateing one all the same.

So heres hoping it is another great chapter in what has already been a great story for the lad.

Reactions: 1 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
So Craig would they able to repair a genetically inherited injury like this or was it due to a structural weakness, which could reoccur depending on where and how hard the next hit arrives?

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Yes Mo, AV malformations are more common than many would realise. A weakness or messed up bunch of veins that are not allowing for proper blood flow, that can balloon out under pressure causing leaks or ruptures.

Unfortunately you often wont know you have one until it starts playing up and becomes symptomatic and it is found on CT and MRI, similar to an aneurysm.

They are similar to an anuerysm that has a weakness that if one is lucky doesn't rupture or leaks slowly like Higgos and it was caught on time.

Surgery is obviously not without associated risk but also the only way to rectify it and its quite successful, as we have seen with Higgo.

I doubt hits to the head will impact it, I'm sure the surgeon said as much as it was dodgy veins sorted out and fixed as opposed to a traumatic cause.

Reactions: 3 users

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Yes Mo, AV malformations are more common than many would realise. A weakness or messed up bunch of veins that are not allowing for proper blood flow, that can balloon out under pressure causing leaks or ruptures.

Unfortunately you often wont know you have one until it starts playing up and becomes symptomatic and it is found on CT and MRI, similar to an aneurysm.

They are similar to an anuerysm that has a weakness that if one is lucky doesn't rupture or leaks slowly like Higgos and it was caught on time.

Surgery is obviously not without associated risk but also the only way to rectify it and its quite successful, as we have seen with Higgo.

I doubt hits to the head will impact it, I'm sure the surgeon said as much as it was dodgy veins sorted out and fixed as opposed to a traumatic cause.

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
He has been a liability Higgo.
Huge ask in his first game back.
This selection smacked of hubris and has backfired.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Started slow, but worked his way into the game well.

Definitely best 22 and cracking to see him back.

The goal was the icing on the cake.

Reactions: 7 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I thought he was fine, got involved a lot more than some out there.

Doubt he will be the first dropped.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

Bizzbizz

Tiger Rookie
Jul 13, 2015
Had a good game took a nice contested mark also got a knock on his head and seemed fine

Stays in the side for mine

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Loved that it was again Higlet scoring a contraversial goal against the Pies. The boy has slotted straight back in.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Thought Higgins was a really good contributor. Wanted to be part of the action and was more than competitive. More than held hos own.
Maybe it's my ageing eyes but he seems to have found a fraction more pace.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Being interviewed on 7 now, still the same Higgo.
Brain surgery clearly hasn't effected him.
Loved his interview with Foxfooty post game... on the clubs website.
Pretty hard to stop smiling when you listen to him speak...... not sure the sooks in WA will love the "shark bite"!:)

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Thought Higgins was a really good contributor. Wanted to be part of the action and was more than competitive. More than held hos own.
Maybe it's my ageing eyes but he seems to have found a fraction more pace.
That would be good, Dimma said that he had improved in a few areas, so maybe he's gained half a yard.
He'll take a lot of confidence from last night, especially with the knock he took to the head, will get better and better.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Higgins isn’t playing stand out football by any means, but I like that he’s clean with the ball again. Keeps himself involved, and showing he’s still an intelligent footballer.

Different player to the one we dropped after that Adelaide game last year.

Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Needs to learn how to kick set shots. He's great at snaps but put him 35m out dead in front and he struggles. He leans back as he kicks and lacks penetration which forces the kick to miss to the right.

But he was not the Lone Ranger in missing easy set shots tonight.