Bye Bye Jack Higgins! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bye Bye Jack Higgins!

Tigers of Old said:
Last year everything was one touch & looked like AFL footy was the easiest & best game in the world. This year he's fumbling everything & looks miserable.
WTF has happened to him?

Too many 1sts games. Needs to go back to basics in the 2nds.

Fair dinkum spew up material tonight and has been average at best most of the year. Not a midfielder & never will be. Another who relies on Jack to make him look good. God help us when Jack retires.

textbook case of second year blues looks like. Geez if he was one-grabbing tonight, we could have almost stolen it. But you could say that about a few others too.

At one stage in I think the first qtr he and Houli fumbled the ball to each other like it was a hot potato.

Definitely not writing him off - If you re-did that draft today he would definitely still go in the top 10. His form though it completely crap. Really disappointed that between Rioli, Butler, Castagna, Bolton, Higgins - we don't have a small pressure forward that we can rely on, across the board.

As bad as Higgins was - he had the same amount of tackles as Butler, Rioli & Castagna combined. He had equal most touches of the lot of them. We just have so few bodies to put out there that we our out of options.

In saying all this, in an ideal world we drop him to the reserves for a month and let him spend a month purely as a midfielder. Just dont think we have that option will all our injuries

RaoulJuke said:
Definitely not writing him off - If you re-did that draft today he would definitely still go in the top 10. His form though it completely crap. Really disappointed that between Rioli, Butler, Castagna, Bolton, Higgins - we don't have a small pressure forward that we can rely on, across the board.

As bad as Higgins was - he had the same amount of tackles as Butler, Rioli & Castagna combined. He had equal most touches of the lot of them. We just have so few bodies to put out there that we our out of options.

In saying all this, in an ideal world we drop him to the reserves for a month and let him spend a month purely as a midfielder. Just dont think we have that option will all our injuries

you cant defend his game. for a bloke that is 20 inches tall, he has the ball skills of a baby elephant. he has no influence in the game. every possession is short and the most damming knock on him he is sooooo slow.
he is another who might have a very short career

I don't like bagging players, although okay I'll admit my heart is in my mouth any time George has any kind of shot on goal.

But there's a limit, and Higgins has been well below any kind of standard for quite some time now. Tonight I thought he was clearly the worst out there - just some shocking stuff. I am not convinced he will ever make it as a midfielder and I don't see where else he could warrant being in the team. I could not agree he'd still be in some kind of top ten draft from his year either, although I don't pretend to remember all of them from that year.

Second year blues? I've heard it, seen it before. This one... just seems to be more than that. I'd be glad to be wrong as he has a lot riding on it, life-wise, but I have serious doubts he'll ever truly make it.

zippadeee said:
you cant defend his game. for a bloke that is 20 inches tall, he has the ball skills of a baby elephant. he has no influence in the game. every possession is short and the most damming knock on him he is sooooo slow.
he is another who might have a very short career

Im not defending his game, but the sstats don't lie - in a game where our only chance of winning was on grit and defensive pressure - he was our 3rd highest tackler.

Yep, he is slow. He has a bad case of the fumbles and his confidence looks crap. Last season, he didn't have the fumbles and his confidence was sky high & did some stuff that proved he might have one of the quickest brains in the game. Stevie J was pretty slow.

He just looks to me the type of young player which plays his best when Cotchin, Lambert, Edwards, *esp) Riewoldt, Nank, Short, Rance in the side and blokes like Caddy actually pulling their weight down forward. Maybe the hopes he can be a mid are not realistic - but I don't doubt for a second he can be a really top tier small forward that can provide x factor.he is 20 playing in a team where in his first year he ws surrounded by superstars playing at their peak - and this year most of them are gone or playing well below that level. Its a pretty intimidating prospect for a guy who was always likely to get the 2nd year blues.

RaoulJuke said:
Im not defending his game, but the sstats don't lie - in a game where our only chance of winning was on grit and defensive pressure - he was our 3rd highest tackler.

Yep, he is slow. He has a bad case of the fumbles and his confidence looks crap. Last season, he didn't have the fumbles and his confidence was sky high & did some stuff that proved he might have one of the quickest brains in the game. Stevie J was pretty slow.

He just looks to me the type of young player which plays his best when Cotchin, Lambert, Edwards, *esp) Riewoldt, Nank, Short, Rance in the side and blokes like Caddy actually pulling their weight down forward. Maybe the hopes he can be a mid are not realistic - but I don't doubt for a second he can be a really top tier small forward that can provide x factor

I was wondering that. Maybe nervous on his expectations this season.

At his size Higgins does need to be exceptional. When he's not..oh boy.
2nd year blues? Just a form slump or something more?
Is he happy at the club? Happy in general? The jovial nature has not been there all season & now it's reflecting in his football..

RaoulJuke said:

He just looks to me the type of young player which plays his best when Cotchin, Lambert, Edwards, *esp) Riewoldt, Nank, Short, Rance in the side and blokes like Caddy actually pulling their weight down forward. Maybe the hopes he can be a mid are not realistic - but I don't doubt for a second he can be a really top tier small forward that can provide x factor

Look I'd agree about the small forward bit, but as you say he just doesn't have the SPEED. Not any kind of speed, like burst or any other. From what I've seen and the commentary of those who should know over time, that is pretty essential element for a small forward in today's game.

I kind of get what you say, he has...something. But from what we've seen lately, it just doesn't seem like that's going to get him there. He just looks more and more exposed.

And also, you have to consider who he'd be replacing, with a full list - how he'd stack up. Can't see who he'd push aside then.

Rabbia said:
Look I'd agree about the small forward bit, but as you say he just doesn't have the SPEED. Not any kind of speed, like burst or any other. From what I've seen and the commentary of those who should know over time, that is pretty essential element for a small forward in today's game.

I kind of get what you say, he has...something. But from what we've seen lately, it just doesn't seem like that's going to get him there. He just looks more and more exposed.

And also, you have to consider who he'd be replacing, with a full list - how he'd stack up. Can't see who he'd push aside then.

All valid points but lets just wait to see how he goes once those experienced blokes come back - especially Jack. His form has dipped as the disappeared. Again, stats don't lie.... he is a confidence kid for me. Check out his numbers from the first 6 rounds vs the 2nd 6 - you literally see the moment once the injury crisis took over

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/player-profile/jack-higgins

As bad as he was today, especially with his fumbles - the positive is he had a career high in tackles. That suggest that the intent and effort was there - just not the confidence.