Byron Pickett | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Byron Pickett

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
I wasn't at the game and just managed to catch some snippets of it on the telly, but I did manage to see Byron Pickett king hit Duncan Kellaway. I think it was that goose Gary Lyon who said there is nothing for Pickett to be worried about (so far as the tribunal is concerned).

IMO that looked like one of the most blatant hits I have ever seen and if Pickett doesn't get a couple of weeks the tribunal are a joke.

vladz

Take us forward!
Jul 20, 2003
Canterbury
Byron Pickett is an idiot, i always hated him and my opinion on him will never change. He is a wuss who can't take it up to the players and hits them gutlessly when the play is gone. YOU ARE AN IDIOT PICKETT.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
He will get his IF Port don't choke and can make the Grand Final.

He's one of these players that prefers to run past the ball and clean up an opponent who has his head down trying to take possesion.

If you do this to the extent that Pickett does, than on Grand Final day, he simply HAS TO BE TAKEN OUT ASAP!!

The opposition coach WILL know that if this doesn't happen, chances are they could loose a Grand Final because their best pall player get's taken out by Pickett.

Dermie took out a number of players in the '89' season who weren't reasonably expecting the level of contact they received. He paid the price in the opening seconds ala Mark Yeates.

He might have been tough enough to get up and still have an impact on the game, but i don't think Pickett is that tough - lights out!!

Ox

"Waitin' for 05."
Aug 19, 2003
Byron.P. is a good hard fotballer.How can u say he is a wuss ???? He'd kick your ass VG. I wouldn't mind having a hard -man like him at Tigerland. As far as what he did 2 Duncs, sure, he deserves a couple of weeks but that's how he plays the game and all opposing players are aware of that. Long live the hard men of the game!!!!
If your'e not up to it, you cop it.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Interesting post Ox. I was at the game and the incident was on the far wing from me. At the time i thought Duncs head had hit Pickett's knee. The first i knew of a king hit was reading these posts.

HOWEVER, i feel that a measure of a player's true toughness is to keep eyes on the ball when you know you are going to get hurt.

Kellaway does this week in week out.

Pickett on the other hand takes his eyes off the ball - often running past it to collect a player who has his head down and cannot see the contact coming.

Any player can do this and Pickett does it regularly.

He tries to hurt ball players. If Port do make the GF, mark my words, Pickett will be a marked man, you can put money on that.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
Agree entirely Frickenel.

It takes far more guts and courage to keep your eyes on the ball when you know you are going to get hit than what it does to take someone out when they are going for the ball.

Pickett has made a habit of taking out players who are going for the ball when his objective is to take out the player.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if Port come up against a physical side such as Brisbane or an Essendon in a Grand Final, Byron Pickett will get his come uppance.

Unfortunately the current Richmond side has very few players whose physical presence is imposing.

Ox

"Waitin' for 05."
Aug 19, 2003
OK.
First of all apoligies to VG. I didn't see VGs post but obviously he took offence. Secondly,I'm not trying to hurt any-ones feelings but it's just the way I see it.
How many tiger supporters would not like to have Byron in the yellow and black - obviously not all of us. Any-way,
this forum is about opinions and that is just mine.
Sorry dude.
Ox

Ox

"Waitin' for 05."
Aug 19, 2003
PS.
Frickenel,
I'm not so sure I would classify it as a king hit but rather an unfair attempt at fending off an incoming player, if that makes any sense.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
I'd love a Bryron Pickett at Richmond.
The guy is totally hard at the ball. Something we lack at times.
Bryron is the master of the shirt front and has the other players thinking twice.
However, at times Bryron does let himself down and more importantly his team.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
There is an old rule in football, if give it out be prepared to take it.

I don't think Byron has any dillusions about this, but whether he can take a real hard hit still remains to be seen.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
nwonash said:
The problem is, Pickett always seems to get in first.

Like another old saying nwonash. No matter how tough you are there is always someone tougher.

Sooner or later someone will pick you off if you continue to line players up.

Ox

"Waitin' for 05."
Aug 19, 2003
I would like to see some of our boy's inflicting a little hard payback on some of the teams that made us look like little babies over the last couple of years. We need another Scotty Turner psycho type player. He would have creamed Pickett given half a chance, just like he cleaned up o'donnell and countless others - all within the rules of course. :mad:

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
There was nothing wrong wiht what Pickett did, was jsut a bump. Did hurt Duncan yes, but still totalyl legal in my opinion.

And I would love to have Pickett in our side. Extremely gifted and talented, tough, hard at it, kicks match winning goals and is jsut superbly skilled. We dont have many playerslike that at all. I firmly believe to be a successful side yo udo need a couple of really skilled aboriginal players. Port have that.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
frickenel said:
Pickett on the other hand takes his eyes off the ball - often running past it to collect a player who has his head down and cannot see the contact coming.

Any player can do this and Pickett does it regularly.

He tries to hurt ball players. If Port do make the GF, mark my words, Pickett will be a marked man, you can put money on that.
It's something called VISION, to be aware of what is going on around you when you are going to a contest for the ball and not just blindly diving in. Pickett is a master, he knows whats coming and better yet knows how to deliver a proper bump( hes been on trial by video for it but they can't get him because he does it LEGALLY). Far to many prissy athletes in todays game have no idea whats going on around them and we have to try and turn the game into TIDDLY WINKS to keep them safe, a few more genuine footballers in the game like the Picketts ,Voss's , Diesels and Dermies would be bloody marvelous. And I dont mean for thugging a bloke ten metres off the ball Imean for the hard grunt right in the middle of play. Wish we had a Byron sometime over the last twenty years

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
shawry said:
There was nothing wrong wiht what Pickett did, was jsut a bump. Did hurt Duncan yes, but still totalyl legal in my opinion.

And I would love to have Pickett in our side. Extremely gifted and talented, tough, hard at it, kicks match winning goals and is jsut superbly skilled. We dont have many playerslike that at all. I firmly believe to be a successful side yo udo need a couple of really skilled aboriginal players. Port have that.

Not so sure about that SHAWRY. Had a look at it in slow motion a couple of times and did appear to catch Dunc with a raised arm or hand, but having said that it didn't look intentional, just incidental to the contest.