Cameron a class act! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cameron a class act!

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Cameron a class act
Danny Frawley
richmondfc.com.au
1:55:12 PM Thu 10 July, 2003

One of my recruiting priorities when I joined Richmond as coach at the end of the 1999 season, was a player who could use the ball well, and also help provide some more leadership around the place.

When Leon Cameron's name came up in discussion, I immediately was interested in securing his services. A player with his silky skills, experience and football nous was just what we needed.

Nearly four years later, and on the verge of his 250th AFL game, I can assure you that Leon's influence at Tigerland -- both on and off the field -- has been most significant.

There wouldn't be too many players in league football history who have had as much impact at their second club as at their first, but Leon clearly fits into that category. He's provided us with fine service from the day he walked through the door at Punt Road.

Often you find that when a player transfers to another league club late in his career he struggles to reach his previously high levels of performance. That certainly has not been the case with Leon, who has been able to maintain the standards he set with the Bulldogs.

I can assure you that Leon is very highly regarded among the playing group and the coaching panel at Richmond. To a man, from the senior coach down, I reckon it's fair to say that he's helped us all in some capacity, on and off the field. He's been a real General on the field -- and a super bloke off it.

When, and if, the time comes that he does hang up his boots, I hope we can keep him involved with the Tigers in some capacity because people like Leon Cameron don't fall off trees. I know that even in a non-playing role, he would be a great asset for the Richmond Football Club.

A classic example of Leon's professionalism and dedication was seen at the end of what had been an ordinary season for him last year. I suppose at age 30 there was a real doubt on his playing future at that stage, but Leon, to his great credit, didn't whinge or feel sorry for himself. He just wanted an opportunity in the pre-season to train really hard so that his body would be in the best possible shape to allow him to continue to compete at the top level.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, players are required to have eight weeks off. Leon, however, trained right through without a break. As soon as the season was over, he was in the gym, he was running the 'Tan' and he was super-hungry to prove that he was still worthy of his place in the side. He really set a great example for all our players with his fierce determination.

And, Leon's 2003 season has justified all that off-season "blood, sweat and tears". He's played every game for us and has been a valuable contributor, being used mainly up forward and on a wing. Again, the more times we can get the ball in Leon Cameron's hands during a match, the better off we'll be. He remains an important part of our team and I would just like to offer my congratulations to him on reaching what is a terrific milestone in league football -- 250 games. Well done, 'Bakes' . . .

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
shawry said:
When, and if, the time comes that he does hang up his boots, I hope we can keep him involved with the Tigers in some capacity because people like Leon Cameron don't fall off trees. I know that even in a non-playing role, he would be a great asset for the Richmond Football Club.

Well done Leon. Great to see Spud acknowledge that a bloke like Leon CAMERON should still have a role at Tigerland even after he hangs up his boots as a player.

Maybe they could make him the skills coach!!!!!!