Campbell, Hall ruled out | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Campbell, Hall ruled out

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
Campbell, Hall ruled out
Barry Levinson
afl.com.au
4:20:22 PM Wed 14 May, 2003

Richmond is confident of regaining forwards Matthew Richardson and Adam Houlihan for Saturday night’s clash with Melbourne at the MCG, but skipper Wayne Campbell and mobile ruckman Ray Hall have both been ruled out.

Richardson has missed the past two matches with a strained hamstring, Houlihan one game with a similar injury.

But the Tigers have already decided to take a more cautious approach with Campbell, who strained a calf against Port Adelaide in round six and Hall, who has also missed a week with a groin injury.

“We’re going on the side of conservatism and giving him another week,” Richmond assistant coach Darren Crocker said of Campbell.

“He was a chance earlier in the week, but he had the same sort of injury a couple of years ago and came back and re-injured it. We just feel that in the current situation it would be best to give him another week and get him fully right to go the week after.”

Crocker said before training at the MCG on Wednesday that both Richardson and Houlihan were likely to be selected in the side if they completed the session successfully.

Richardson moved freely and appeared to have no problems sprinting. Houlihan finished the session also, but did not look quite as comfortable.

While Richardson has a history of re-injuring his left hamstring, Crocker said there was less concern this time around, as the strain was to his right one.

“We’re confident he’ll be right. He’s moved well so far throughout the week, along with Adam Houlihan.

“It’s actually not the hamstring he’s injured in the past and had a history with, it’s the other one. He’s pretty confident that he’ll be okay.”

Richmond, watched on by several Demon coaching officials, had a solid hour-long workout on the MCG.

Melbourne was due to conduct its Wednesday training session on the ground immediately after.

When asked if he was concerned about the pace of the Demons’ midfield, Crocker said he was confident that the Tigers possessed the right ingredients in their own engine room.

“We believe that we’ve got enough pace there without changing the mix too much,” he said. “You don’t want to change the mix when you’re coming off a good win.

“We’ve identified that Melbourne actually are a genuine footy team and they obviously were put under enormous pressure (last week) and came out and responded really well.

“They’ve played a lot of finals football over the last few years so we’ve just got to make sure that our consistency of effort and our honesty with the way we go about it is there again.”

I'd leave *smile* in and drop Fleming. Might need that extra height up forward or in the ruck should something happen and Vardy, Staff, Richo are needed elsewhere or should injury occur.

RR, so will I . Would rather Richo miss one more match than risk him but if the medicos say his fine then he should be ok.

shawry said:
I'd leave *smile* in and drop Fleming. Might need that extra height up forward or in the ruck should something happen and Vardy, Staff, Richo are needed elsewhere or should injury occur.

Melbourne shouldn't catch us out for height. Their backline is short. It's their midfield where they can do damage with time and space to deliver the ball to Neitz and Robertson. However they don't have any hardnuts so I would keep fleming to smash them (legally) around a bit and deny them the time and space they need.

mightytiges said:
RR, so will I . Would rather Richo miss one more match than risk him but if the medicos say his fine then he should be ok.
I agree completely with your thinking MT.

Saw him train today at the MCG and moved really well. Did all the drills including strong fast leads out from full forward.

Dunc might be an inclusion if fit and someone like Rogo go back to Coburg for a week or two to get a bit of touch.

I would keep Fleming in all year for the fact that he throws himself at every contest with little regard for his own safety.

This kind of stuff really lifts team mates and will make the opposition take a backward step if they know that some bloke will go headfirst into a contest.

It is clear that danny is protecting Jay so back to Coburg fella and keep on learning the caper.

Rogers barely got a run against the bummers so he may find himself looking at his Melways.

IMO
Out Shulz, Nicholls, Rogers
In Richo, Houla, Dunc

I'd agree with dropping Shultz. Not because he did anything wrong but mainly

a. Melbourne isnt going to trouble us for height, but midfield run could be an issue which is more of a Fleming role.

b. I think he (and us) will get more out of his playing a full game for Coburg than off the bench in the seniors. And.

c. Vardy showed something last week and he deserves a chance to show it wasnt a fluke.

And Houlihan for Nicolls (inj) pretty much selects itself.

On form, the only other player who could be in trouble for his place is Matty Rogers. I'm not as negative on him as others in the forum but his form hasnt been great and "if" (and its a big if) Danny was going to blood someone I'd be thinking Matty might be the one to give up his seat.