Can we create another Hawthorn era? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Can we create another Hawthorn era?

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
So they want to slash the lists when we've had 2-3 seasons of teams decimated with injury lists and at times barely able to have a squad of 25 fit players.

These wankers just cannot help themselves.

Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
This season has hurt us, no doubt in regard to matching them but they won 3 in a row which we are obviously no chance of doing if this season is thrown in the bin.

The RFC more likely chance is emulating the Cats and win flags in 17,19 and 21 as opposed to their run in 07, 09 and 11.

TBH I think most Tiger fans would be very happy with that.

I would be.

Back to back would be a better CV with 3 in 4 years but if I was offered another flag next year with no footy played this year I'd take it.
this yr would trump thier era & the melting would be extreme

Reactions: 1 user

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Apologies if someone mentioned earlier. This is another poke in the eye for Richmond. We've managed to assemble an amazingly balanced list considering numbers and salary cap. While other teams will be jettisoning trash we'll be letting go of athletic freaks and emerging talent. You watch how other teams will cut back further than required to pick up our surplus. That's what I'd do.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
It’s going to come down pretty much as I suggested. At least 9 are likely to be forced off our list. It stinks.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
This season has hurt us, no doubt in regard to matching them but they won 3 in a row which we are obviously no chance of doing if this season is thrown in the bin.

If this season is binned then we just need to win 2021, and 2022. That's 3 consecutive premierships. There's a strong possibility that the 3 or 4 financially strong clubs will weather the storm better, and bounce back quicker, than the other teams. We're one of those lucky teams. We have Dimma, Pies have Buckley, so that puts us at the top of the pile and the pies a lot lower

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Also the fact that the vast majority of Clubs are being assisted by the AFL & will need to pay the $ back so it will widen the gap between us & them.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
A further aspect of this is that the AFL has effectively used the loan taken out to guarantee the survival of all 18 clubs until the loan is repaid. Would like to be told I am wrong because the sooner Gold Coast is waived off, the better the competition will be.
IMO It was extremely foolish for Demetriou to set up the club in the first place and all other clubs have had to pay out, to keep them going, - $25,000,000 last year.
There has been no significant change in their financial position or membership, over the period and despite the draft picks they have been gifted the team continues to fail,
The Clubs Board should be officially but privately cautioned and if there is no substantial improvement in both its ladder position and financial position, by the end of 2021 season, the license should be retired in favour of probably Tasmania, to be determined before that season's Draft.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
A further aspect of this is that the AFL has effectively used the loan taken out to guarantee the survival of all 18 clubs until the loan is repaid. Would like to be told I am wrong because the sooner Gold Coast is waived off, the better the competition will be.
IMO It was extremely foolish for Demetriou to set up the club in the first place and all other clubs have had to pay out, to keep them going, - $25,000,000 last year.
There has been no significant change in their financial position or membership, over the period and despite the draft picks they have been gifted the team continues to fail,
The Clubs Board should be officially but privately cautioned and if there is no substantial improvement in both its ladder position and financial position, by the end of 2021 season, the license should be retired in favour of probably Tasmania, to be determined before that season's Draft.

Many sporting clubs have tried and failed

A-League, Gold Coast United - gone

NRL, Gold Coast-Tweed Giants - gone
( they changed over the years to the Seagulls, the Gladiators and Chargers)

Basketball – Gold Coast Cougars/Rollers (1990-96), Gold Coast Blaze (2007-12) - gone

Rugby Union – East Coast Aces (2007) - gone

Baseball – Gold Coast Clippers/Daikyo Dolphins/Gold Coast Cougars (1989-99) - gone

Ice Hockey – Brisbane Blue Tongues (2008-2013) - gone

Can even throw Brisbane Bears in there. They eventually came good once the permanent move to Brisbane came.

Gold Coast is a grave yard for professional sport clubs.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Basketball – Gold Coast Cougars/Rollers (1990-96), Gold Coast Blaze (2007-12) - gone

Baseball – Gold Coast Clippers/Daikyo Dolphins/Gold Coast Cougars (1989-99) - gone

Can even throw Brisbane Bears in there. They eventually came good once the permanent move to Brisbane came.

Yep, the Gold Coast is where professional sporting clubs go to die.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland

Money well spent IMO. They are a great Tiger nursery, contributing to two famous premierships for us, nearly a third, and possibly another two. Long May They Continue!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Agree, the Gold Coast is a sporting graveyard.

Send them to Tassie, they deserve a team it is an Aussie Rules state.

DS

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011

GWS are the same financially despite being competitive on field. For mine they should have ensured we have 16 financially viable & competitive Clubs before adding 2 new ones. those struggling at the time still have yet to recover aside from us

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
You realise having the ninth game each round is worth about 30 million each year?
Wasn’t aware of the figure but the issue shouldn’t be about the money. They don’t give a dam about football on the Gold Coast. Never have and never will.

The next license should go either to a Tasmanian based team or a team directed to recognising the contribution made to the game by our indigenous people, based wherever.
Gold Coast was a terrible choice and in 50 years time it will still be pathetic.
The AFL should recognise its error and correct it now.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Actually I don' know how I came up with that, I can't work it out again. Seems wrong. :help

It should be more like $44 million. Based on the TV rights being $400 million a season, so the nine games come out at about $44 million each.

I understand the argument will be that Gold Coast games aren't attractive for the TV and they wouldn't pay equally but the ninth game is important because it allows for big paying games like Thursday nights and Sunday twilights while still keeping the traditional Saturday/Sunday timeslots.
But I heard Leigh Matthews say that via his discussions with tv management this basic mathematical theory isn’t true.