Can we create another Hawthorn era? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Can we create another Hawthorn era?

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
We have the beginnings of a dominant era, can we make ourselves into a force like Hawthorn from the 80's.
We have the off field, currently have the on field, can we extend it out?
Hawthorn had good recruiting, a great coach who inspired the players and were very strong off field.

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
We are in an era of success. The last seven years have had 6 finals series, 2 flags and a preliminary.

A lot of other clubs would sacrifice back flankers to have that. We get a flag this year and its dynasty stuff.

The Hawks 80’s produced four flags, it’s an amazing effort but with no free agency, limited draft impact, brown paper bags rife, it’s hard to compare. Much harder to win now. We get three in four years, we match it.

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
We have the beginnings of a dominant era, can we make ourselves into a force like Hawthorn from the 80's.
Hawthorn had good recruiting, a great coach who inspired the players and were very strong off field.
I’m one who, at least outwardly, likes to keep my powder dry on this question. Even when asked how I think the tigers will go in 2020 I just say “who knows, hopefully we will be thereabouts”.
We actually have all the hallmarks of an era. The thing that reminds me of Hawthorn so much is that because we have such a strong list when we bring youngsters in they are ready and just slot in seemlessly. It’s really impressive.
But so much can go wrong in a season and as we found out in 2018 one bad game and it’s over.

Reactions: 2 users

Bennnny

Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
I’m one who, at least outwardly, likes to keep my powder dry on this question. Even when asked how I think the tigers will go in 2020 I just say “who knows, hopefully we will be thereabouts”.
We actually have all the hallmarks of an era. The thing that reminds me of Hawthorn so much is that because we have such a strong list when we bring youngsters in they are ready and just slot in seemlessly. It’s really impressive.
But so much can go wrong in a season and as we found out in 2018 one bad game and it’s over.
Hopefully learnt from 2018. Don't play injured players, no matter how good. Trust that others will step up.

Bennnny

Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
We are in an era of success. The last seven years have had 6 finals series, 2 flags and a preliminary.

A lot of other clubs would sacrifice back flankers to have that. We get a flag this year and its dynasty stuff.

The Hawks 80’s produced four flags, it’s an amazing effort but with no free agency, limited draft impact, brown paper bags rife, it’s hard to compare. Much harder to win now. We get three in four years, we match it.
Whose wife was the best paid secretary in Hawthorn?

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Whose wife was the best paid secretary in Hawthorn?
D.Jarman!

Always find it hard to listen to Brereton when he goes on about his era v now as if he feels his 5 premierships are in some way diminished when we say it's more difficult to win a flag these days.
More teams, equalization, travel, salary caps etc etc.... clearly harder to win now!

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

...and 7 grand finals in a row. Gimmee dat anyday.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
D.Jarman!

Always find it hard to listen to Brereton when he goes on about his era v now as if he feels his 5 premierships are in some way diminished when we say it's more difficult to win a flag these days.
More teams, equalization, travel, salary caps etc etc.... clearly harder to win now!

Yeah pretty hard to argue. In 1983 and 1986 there were only 12 teams. In 1988 and 1989 there were 14. In 1992 15.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
...and 7 grand finals in a row. Gimmee dat anyday.

Gimme flags. If anything Hawthorn wasted Grand finals in that period.

I actually like to bookend that era from 76-91. Seven flags is remarkable in less than 20 years. Not sure that ever, ever gets repeated.

If I was to compare us to a Hawthorn era it would be the modern day one. From 2007 to now. But I'd start ours at our first finals series, same as 2007 for the Hawks. That's more of an era than Brisbane.

Hawthorn 2007-2019 Four flags, 10 finals appearances.
Richmond 2013-2019 Two flags, six finals appearances.

If you take 2007-13(same time span as ours)
Hawthorn 2007-13 Two flags , six finals appearances.
Richmond 2013-2019 Two flags, six finals appearances.

If we get two in the next five years, we've equalled the greatest era in the modern era.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
D.Jarman!

Hawthorn of the 80’s succeeded in an amateur, stated league fuelled by steroids, allegedly.

Richmond’s era of success is subject to strict, Olympic standards of anti-doping in what has only recently become a professional, national sport.

Before we even consider the (many) arguments of equalisation, etc., it’s no wonder that Brereton et al. are easily triggered into defending their version of history at every opportunity.

The only Hawthorn era I’d probably aspire to surpassing is Clarkson’s era. However, they did benefit somewhat from suspension of equalisation measures during expansion team introduction.

Geelong’s 2007-2011 era is the greatest to the naked eye for mine. They did have Dank fuelling their training regime, and their coach was investigated for being a massive drug dealer, but there’s no clear asterisk on them.

Brisbane’s era was enhanced by lucky factors and only a semi-professional crackdown on dodgy practises, if that.

Richmond could very well become the first undisputed dynasty of the professional, national competition under strict, Olympic-standard testing for PEDs.

Last edited:

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Interesting fact:
Only five clubs have won VFL/AFL Premierships in years ending in 0

Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Melbourne and Richmond.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
People trying to diminish Hawthorn's achievements may as well extend it to Richmond's Hafey years because of course everything Graeme Richmond did was above board:rolleyes:.

I on the other hand believe all Grand Finals won are equal and don't think any less of those cups.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
I dreamed of two. One more and I can put it to bed. More than enough for one side to ever achieve. The best side Ive ever seen pull on 44 boots is the Bears. They were highly skilled, ruthless, and my god were they tough. I wished I had barracked for them. But our mob goes ok.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
People trying to diminish Hawthorn's achievements may as well extend it to Richmond's Hafey years because of course everything Graeme Richmond did was above board:rolleyes:.

I on the other hand believe all Grand Finals won are equal and don't think any less of those cups.
Yeah fair comment re GR...... probably wrote the book on shifty dealings.

I think since the fulltime professional era came into being, IMO West Coast 06 is the one that's got a bit of smell to it.
Then again, the coach said he asked his boys if they were doing anything untoward in the illicit substance space and they promised him they hadn't..... so all sweet!:rolleyes:

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Yeah fair comment re GR...... probably wrote the book on shifty dealings.

I think since the fulltime professional era came into being, IMO West Coast 06 is the one that's got a bit of smell to it.
Then again, the coach said he asked his boys if they were doing anything untoward in the illicit substance space and they promised him they hadn't..... so all sweet!:rolleyes:

There is always an exception to the rule regarding my comments :)

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

Not diminishing the Hawks at all, GR undoubtedly pulled some of the same strings. That was the same era you compare.

Comparing the GR Era to our success today is impossible, that’s my point.

ahyeahnah

Tiger Superstar
Aug 14, 2016
We are well on the way young fella

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Let's not forget we're the only team in the modern era to win 2 flags in 3 years coming from rock bottom when Dimma took over just 10 years ago.

Reactions: 2 users

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).

if we win the 2020 flag it’s out best ever 4 years.
never won 3 in 4 before.

the players will be revered as gods

Reactions: 1 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Have the talent to keep this going , but there are other clubs like West Coast who probably figure they have the talent too

Could come down to the coaching staff , to keep evolving the gameplan and stay in the hunt , its a game of inches at times