Captaincy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Captaincy

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Danny said we'll have a new captain and a new vice captain for the rest of the year. Would he have meant Richo, or that we'll elect a new captain?

Either way I think it might be time for a change of leadership next season.

Campbo has had a fairly good run for little success. I'd like to see someone else given the honour and see if a change can lead us into a successful era.

Campbo's battle weary body seems to be catching up with him now, and we can't afford a leader who's not out on the ground most weeks.

Our options seem a bit limited, I'd vote for Chaff or Staff or Johnno.

Kane Johnson could be a good pick. Bring in some new blood who hasn't been involved in past conflicts.

RazorBoy

Just waitin' for the next premiership
Apr 18, 2003
I agree with either Staff or Chaff, but I dont think Johnno has been at the club long enough. What about Dutchy, he should qualify as a club leader? He was still out of the side when Richo was given the job last time.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Considering the fallout from Danny and the Knighter and Campbo issues I'm starting to lean towards the idea that it would be an advantage to have a captain who's not carrying old baggage.
What matters is having respect of all of the players imo.

RazorBoy

Just waitin' for the next premiership
Apr 18, 2003
I agree Rosy, esp. about having the respect of the players. It wont be Johnno though, apparently he is out for 3-4 weeks with a hammy. I dont think Richo is a good choice, much as I love him as a player, I think a few of the players feel too intimidated by him because of his acts of frustration when his leads are ignored or the ball isnt delivered properly. We need someone with a cool head out there.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Very interesting question you have raised Rosy.

I think that Richo as the DVC will ineviatable inherit the role. I am not saying this is right or wrong, but thats the way it will be.

I think it would be detrimental to public change your leadership structure mid year and would be an admission by the club that they have not chosen wisely.

Despite Richo's obvious shortcoming, it is very difficult to provide any leadership whilst sitting the goal square, especially when time are lean, like they could be over the next few weeks.

I think the Vice Captain issue is the only one that will come into contention. personally I think that JOHNSON would have been the obvious choice. He seems to marshall the troops around the ball anyway when Campbo is not there. Staff would be another option in my opinion. Guys like Cogs IMHO are not ready for that role and are better left to concentrate on their football. I know its hard to believe, but he is basically only a 2nd year player at AFL and should be allowed to develop before being given extra responsibility. I agree in time he may make a great leader, but not just yet.

The problem is that it is too hard to tell who have the personal traits to make good leaders from the outside.

Leon CAMERON would also be someone who could come into consideration. He has a wealth of experience, a cool head and seems to be respected by the player, both on an off the field.

Having said all that it concerns me that we really seem to have suffered from a lack of leadership in the period that Campbo was out, which is worrying now that he is gone for the year.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Joel BOWDEN giving some responsibilty in the leadership group. Could have one of two effects. Either he "steps up to the plate" to quote a cliche or he will put himself into the trade list

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Considering Cambo (c) and Gas (vc) are out for the rest of the year I presume Danny means Richo as captain and VC decided from the remaining leadership group - Stafford, Bowden, Cameron etc... I agree with Gus not to change our leadership structure mid-season.

IMHO it's time beit next year or the year after for generational change in terms of leadership of the side.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
I think Cambo should be given one more year to prove that he isn't washed up with injuries. When he is fit he is still the man and he played some real good football this year in between his injuries.

Moreover he still remains the most competent leader IMO. Not sure if Cogs knows enough about the game to take over just yet. But given 2 or 3 years i think he will be ideal for the job.

As for the remainder of the year, Chaffey looks good for it.

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Cogs will make a good captain in a couple of yrs, too young at the moment IMO.

Id hand the job to someone like Staff, Chaff, Johno, or (to the disgust of some posters on this site) Bowdo.

Saw Bowden barking out orders on the weekend.

Agee with Rosy it would be a good idea to give the captaincy to someone that doesnt have the emotional baggage.

God help us if richo is captain. :-\

gdbarrett

Some more New-men please.
Jun 18, 2003
Albury
Richo will be the captain for the remainder of the year.
VC - Stafford

As for next year, I'd go for two possibilities:

1) Richo - if he demonstrates good form and leadership in the next six games.
2) Campbell to do it for one more year Richo doesn't.

I think we should go for short term options, as Coglan has captain written on his forehead. Just needs 1 or 2 years.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
Tiges4ever said:
I agree with either Staff or Chaff, but I dont think Johnno has been at the club long enough. What about Dutchy, he should qualify as a club leader? He was still out of the side when Richo was given the job last time.
Ben holland is a good ordinary leader & kane johnson gets too many injuries id give it to ottens &cogs vc ;D

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
Tiges4ever said:
Ben holland is a good ordinary footballer & kane johnson gets too many injuries id give it to ottens &cogs vc ;D

tigerland

Can u dig it.....SUCKA
May 12, 2003
Melb
Would like to see Staff jiven the role of cptn and Johno as vice captain.

I really see Johno as our next captain, possibly 2005 after Campbo. Hes a work hoarse and really loves the RFC, just luke we all do.

To early for him to be campain right now though, give him 2 yrs 2 settle in. By then Cogs may be vice?

Kafer

go tiges!
Jun 15, 2003
East Bentleigh
I agree with Rosy, i think Johno would be a great captain, nut I don't think it will happen, in lieu of this I think Otto with Richo as VC

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I'm with you Rosy, we need a new leadership group for next season.

Basically, and to be honest and frank, this Club needs an enema. As far fetched and unlikely as this is, I really think we need to change the image of our footy Club. The one way to change that image is through those that lead the Club.

We know that Mark Coughlan is only 21 and played just 35 games, but given the way this season is panning out, next season looks like being a hard one for the Club to sell to supporters, unless some real changes are made between now and 2004.

There are lots of reasons why this couldn't happen, but there are lots of reasons why it could. Captain: Coughlan and Vice Captain: Newman.

It sounds like a huge risk to take. They're too young, too inexperienced, blah blah blah. But they would still have senior players around them. It's not like those players won't still be there to support them. So they'll make mistakes, but they'll learn a lot too. And they have shown that they can and do learn.

Other senior players may get their nose out of joint, but they could get over it. Some of them have had 5+ years to stake a claim and haven't done it.

These two seem to have a fantastic attitude and are so far ahead of some of their team mates, in this regard, that it's just not funny. In fact, it's embarrassing.

With these two up front, supporters could see the new direction the Club is taking and therefore be prepared to be a bit more patient. I don't know why we would be afraid to make such a move. After all, it's one that would give the Club a new look and feel and perhaps even give them breathing space to add to the list over the next few seasons, without huge expectations on the Club.

We're not the most patient people in the world, I know, but a change is as good as a holiday. No disrespect to those players who currently fill these roles, but the Club needs a new look and more importantly a new direction.

In all likelihood, it'll never happen, not next season anyway, but it will eventually.

I don't want to wish anyone's life away, but can we fast forward to the glorious future?

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
Both Coughlan and Newman don't say boo to a ghost. (Neither does Chaffey.) Don't see how we can have a captain that doesn't say much. In a few years time they may have developed this- but let's just let the kids concentrate on their own games for now.

It seems a trifle odd to me that Campbell has to give up the captaincy due to the team's limited success and his injuries. Knights had limited success and injuries, yet there was an outcry about him being relieved of the job.

Campbo has all the leadership skills - i.e. sets an example on the training track, is vocal, can speak to the media, and shows consistently good form. I think this is the last thing that needs changing!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I admit I'm not around the club much TB, but I've been into the rooms pregame 3 times now, and from my experience what you say is quite untrue.

I didn't notice Newman but Cogs certaily had his share to say and Chaff in particular was very vocal from what I saw.

Where have you seen them to say they they don't say boo to a ghost?

There must even be some possibility Campbo's career could even be over. People can have a bit of trouble getting over achilles operations and Campbo is no spring chicken. Noone would know how he'll go after at least 6 months recuperation. Here's hoping it will all go well and he'll still be able to run as much as he used to.
It's no certainty though.

There is some baggage attatched to Campbo's leadership and seeing we haven't been successful I'd like to see a change.

P.S. I'd also say when it comes to speaking to the media someone like Stafford leaves Campbo for dead.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
The young guns of this Club are showing us the selfish and separatist attitude that exists within our ranks.

Time to put aside whatever pride we have left and realise the absolute truth about ourselves.

Over the years, this Club has engendered in its players a selfishness that is not seen at other Clubs.

Our players are maligned (by their own) for a perceived lack of desire, spirit, commitment and passion. Their selfishness knows no bounds.

Years of inflating egos has done untold damage to this footy Club. Not to mention the minds of those who support it.

Go on Mark (Coughlan that is), show up this Club for what it has been all these years – a joke.

Rub it in our faces. For good measure, make playing this game look easy. You might as well, our opposition has been doing so for years, so one of our own might as well too, just to make it hurt just that bit more.

Show us all the ways that conspire to keep us in the hell hole we’ve been living in all this time.

Show us what desire, spirit, commitment, heart and an amazing attitude can do.

Shine your light for us all to see and show us the way out of this maze that has for years trapped us in hell.

Title or no title, your actions speak louder than any words.

Some of your team mates, if not our whole Club and even supporters, could sure use a strong dose of whatever it is that you have. Because we can all learn form your attitude and what can be achieved if it means enough to us.

Many have tried, but no one has been able, until now, to show us the way forward. Just through your attitude alone, you have at least given us hope that it is still possible.

God bless your Mark.

beretta

Tigers ?
Jul 12, 2003
This is my first posting, so for what its worth i think Campbell is a good captain as long as he is not injured to often. As for Richo i think he means well but his body language speaks louder than words. He's got enough pressure on him from every other angle and he doesnt seem to handle it to well. I also think Chaffey would make a good captain who is professional and leads by example, he doesnt give in, and gives his all at all times.Chaffey for mine.