Caro called out, Footy Classified | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Caro called out, Footy Classified

Giardiasis said:
The legal drinking age is completely arbitrary, it should be left to family's to work these things out,

familys?? arent parents impinging on their childs private property rights by making decisions for them. shouldnt a 5yo be able to choose to drink if they want to?

Why can an Australian 19yo legally get tanked, yet an American 19yo be a criminal...? Seems pretty arbitrary.

Midsy said:
What he might say though is "Dunno Dad, but at $3, it seems most people think GWS will."

Has that hurt anyone? And shows his understanding of basic maths is pretty good.

I'd much rather a 7yo not be exposed to a hobby that has the potential to destroy his life at such a young age when all he wants to do is shout "Yellow & Black" at the end of the match.

What's the argument for betting advertising during a match?

Baloo said:
What's the argument for betting advertising during a match?

I guess the easy answer is sponsorship money contributing to the event you love taking your son to.

Midsy said:
I guess the easy answer is sponsorship money contributing to the event you love taking your son to.

Then we should allow tabaco and alcohol advertising as well.

Brodders17 said:
familys?? arent parents impinging on their childs private property rights by making decisions for them. shouldnt a 5yo be able to choose to drink if they want to?
Sure if the child can prove that they are a rational agent, capable of communicating and arguing, and with the ability to run away and say no.

Baloo said:
Then we should allow tabaco and alcohol advertising as well.
Yes, there shouldn't be a ban on any advertising. The utility of the advertising is up to the AFL, the clubs and the broadcasters to decide, as a consumer you aren't forced into using the product. If you don't want to see it then don't watch the footy, or try to pressure the AFL/clubs/broadcasters to offer another product. Don't just get the government to ban what you don't like.

Midsy said:

Its not an easy answer. Footy was fine before bookie ads, and would be fine if they were reduced or banned. Players might take longer to get raises, might lose a few middle managers in the AFL, that'd be it.

Midsy said:
What he might say though is "Dunno Dad, but at $3, it seems most people think GWS will."

Has that hurt anyone? And shows his understanding of basic maths is pretty good.

It normalises gambling at a very young age. If you can't see why thats a bad thing well I dunno what to say.

Giardiasis said:
Sure if the child can prove that they are a rational agent, capable of communicating and arguing, and with the ability to run away and say no.

prove to who?

Giardiasis said:
Yes, there shouldn't be a ban on any advertising. The utility of the advertising is up to the AFL, the clubs and the broadcasters to decide, as a consumer you aren't forced into using the product. If you don't want to see it then don't watch the footy, or try to pressure the AFL/clubs/broadcasters to offer another product. Don't just get the government to ban what you don't like.

Take it to politics and I'll answer you there.

Lewis_Hine_Newsies_smoking_at_Skeeters_Branch_St._Louis_1910-Lewis-Hine.jpg

IanG said:
It normalises gambling at a very young age. If you can't see why thats a bad thing well I dunno what to say.

Pick the people without kids...

Giardiasis said:
Where people go to resolve disputes, the courts.

not sure how a 5yo knows to go to court, or has money to access the court in your user pays world.
i guess if they need money they could always prostitute themselves out......

Brodders17 said:
not sure how a 5yo knows to go to court, or has money to access the court in your user pays world.
They wouldn't because your hypothetical is ridiculous. Perhaps a 14 year old might.