Caro's article | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Caro's article

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
Don't always agree with her, but this article suggests that what we here at PRE all feel about our Club and what is happening is accurate...

http://theage.com.au/articles/2003/08/27/1061663850346.html

Anyone who holds any doubt as to the perilous state of our once great club should read this article by a woman whose father presided over its greatest ever era of success.

Maybe it might take the passing of the greatest of all Tigers to make the clowns in power now realise just how pathetic the club is now compared to its former glory and do something about it.

We live in hope, but alas, will more than likely be devastated again in October/November when more Billy Nicholls, Paul Hudsons, Adam Houlihans, Steven Szillers and Tim Flemings are recruited to the club, consigning us to a 12th or worse ladder finish again.

As I've posted before, the club's official slogan is missing one word:

Shithouse! Forever.

Informative and concise Caro.
Your thoughts and feelings some up perfectly my feelings of the club.
It makes me dry retch when I see people on this forum who want the likes of Kellaway to play another year because he is a loyal servant.
Its about time someone steps up to the plate and announces they want to take over the board and sweep all the vermin from the club.
Hopefully the emotions of yesterday will fire some people up.

Diggler we all understand where you are coming from. We are all devastated at the level that our Club has sunk to and the way outsiders talk about us, and perceive us. And more importantly, how we now see ourselves.

Just don't use the name Kellaway and the word vermin in the same breath.

The club song was sung, but it was a hollow rendition. It only works when the team is winning and the only side Richmond has beaten since round eight is the Bulldogs.

Great article but I disagree with Caro on that one. I doubt winning or losing was in anyone's mind when the song was sung. It was goodbye to Jack, and to me was spine tingling. I looked over in the stand and some of Jacks family cupped their hands over their mouth and looked skywards as they sang out "yellow and black."

But it was a celebration thick with melancholy. And walking from the Punt Road grass and the giant, painted No. 17, the sadness was as tangible as it was unbearable.

Says it all. :'( :( :'(

I have a different view on Caro's article. While I agree with her sentiments. Who can argue that Richmond is not the club it use to be I was annoyed that it was written on the day we were remembering the greatest tiger of all. Why be critical on that day? Perhaps it would have been better if she talked to the real supporters who were at Punt Road including myself and reported on how we love our club & no matter what state we are in at the moment we will survive & improve and become a force once again. I haven't expressed this very well, but it just spoilt for me what was a wonderful day.

Caro is spot on with this article, her timing was well thought out aswell MCG, she wrote it at a time when all true Richmond faithful had their emotions running high. We all love our tigers and her article although critical it definately had to be said so people dont become complacent and our club end up like South Melbourne & Fitzroy.

I know she didnt actually write this but its what i implied from this article. She never critised the great man it was a sad day and at the moment things at Tigerland are also sad.

Great work guys, keep it up.

I am actually analysing this article for my writing class at uni, so if anyones want to go into some detail about Caro's writing style that would be great

Keep up the good work ;D

Wasn't Ian Wilson the President also during the late 60s & early 70s as well when we won all those flags? I remember people referring to him as the President in the Graeme Richmond era.

Ian Wilson was Club president from 1974-1985. All the names of the Club presidents and when they served are listed on the Honour Board in the PRE history webpage.

Interesting to note in the article that Greg Miller said he learned more about the RFC in one day than he knew before...

While driving to the game last Sunday, i heard a comment on 3AW about Greg Miller saying something down the line of :

Jack Dyer's death not having any real impact on the Richmond players at all as his playing days are so far in the past!!

I didn't hear the interview when he made the comment, but only one of the commentators repeating it!

Would love to hear from anyone who actually heard what he said! Would hope this was said before he was enlightened.

If so, i hope he has a greater appreciation of the job at hand and the responsibility he has to restore the club to it's rightfull place.

Yeah heard Greg on MMM on the way to the footy. What i can vaguely remember was he did say that Jack's death had no real impact on the players something along those lines.

This comment pissed me off because i thought you really have n.f.i. about our club, history, passion etc.

But as you said i think he and other people at the club have hopefully been enlightened re the events of this week and now can hopefully take us to that promised land!!!!

Haven't been on line for three days and trying to catch up, read Caro's article. Damn it hurts to read , accurate but ouch.