Jumper may be worn (Herald Sun) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jumper may be worn (Herald Sun)

cogs_is_sexy24

Tiger Rookie
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne
This was printed in todays Herald Sun:

Richmond yesterday hinted that Tiger young gun Mark Coughlan could be honoured with Jack Dyer's famous no. 17.

Coughlan is just 3 seasons into his AFL career but has already earned a reputaion as a leader and fearless winner of the ball.

Tigers oresident Clinton Casey said the club was still deciding whether to retire the jumper or hand it on to a player in the Dyer mould.
"We're looking at a number of options...we could put it in mothballs or give it to someone coming through the ranks,"Casey said.

He said Coughlan, 21, showed the spirit and courage made famous by Dyer.
"That's the brand of footy our supporters just love to see," he said.

Richmond websites have been bombarded with calls from fans to give the number to Coughlan.

Your thoughts???

After another flogging this week the club will do anything to divert the attention....................they will present the number 17 to Coughlan and everyone will feel warm and fuzzy and be full of hope for next year.................they are the master illusionists.

Let Coughlan make his own number and history - this is really a non-issue IMO.

PS no disrespect to Dyer and the number 17.

Harry said:

Totally agree Harry.

Richmond websites have been bombarded with calls from fans to give the number to Coughlan.

Where?

I think as a tribute to Jack Dyer they should retire number 17 for the same amount of seasons or games that Jack played for Richmond.

Harry said:

yeh i agree with you, harry. coughlan has the potential to make 24 his own number, he can take it all within his stride.

i wasnt too keen on the idea in the first place...there's something about letting the no. 17 as it is...

Let him create his own history in #24. While giving him #17 would be a tremendous honour it also places a lot of pressure on him. Not saying that he doesn't deserve the guernsey as he is the only one on our list who I think would deserve to wear it. Just think of all the people who'd have to change the number 24's on their jumpers for 17's if he did swap ;D

24 Isn't exactly a shabby number to wear either. Just ask Billy BARROT.

I don't think there is any hurry to make a decision either way.

I tend to agree that we should let Cogs make 24 his own.

If the No. 17 was given to Coughlan, at least it would be a worthy player to wear it with pride and courage. However, as people have said, let Coughlan make the 24 his own. He is a legend in the making.

How the *smile* did Paul Hudson (BIGGEST DUD & Waste of a Draft Pick) ever get to wear the No. 17 ? That was total disrespect to the jumper and the people whom have warn it before.

nwonash said:
How the **** did Paul Hudson (BIGGEST DUD & Waste of a Draft Pick) ever get to wear the No. 17 ? That was total disrespect to the jumper and the people whom have warn it before.

NWONASH, I couldn't agree with you more on this. I am not worried whether Cogs wears the number or not.

But I would hate to ever see that honour ever bestowed on another Paul HUDSON. I still wonder how that could have ever come about, and the person responsible should hang their head in shame.

I say retire the jumper for one more year then at the beginning of 2005 let Sheedy, as coach, present it to the best under 18 in the country who we picked up in the Nonvember 2004 national draft with the number 1 priority pick.

Harry said:

Write in ya' diary Harry but......

I agree with you 150%

Spot on Harry.

Here's another option. The club should put 17 in mothballs and only bring out once the Tigers have won a flag, perhaps the player who wins the Jack Dyer medal in the year we win our next premiership should be offered the number for the following year.

An idea from left field - not sure if it would work well, but what about giving it to whoever is the club captain? You wear the no. 17 for as long as you are captain of the club, and then revert to your original number when you are no longer captain.
Would seem fitting for our greatest ever captain to be remembered through all of our skippers, and some of his leadership qualities might even rub off!

Koalalill said:
Harry said:

I agree with you here- perfectly said! :D
I would love to see no. 24 become a champion number- made by coughlan! on ya cogs

I totally agree with what everyone has said, Let couglan keep 24, ad make it into another champion number. I reakon that WJP idea is pretty good, retire the number for the amount of games Jack played in, that is a great idea!!

Well I definitely don't want it retired, as it would be a terrible shame never to see the no 17 running around in yellow and black again.

And I also would rather Cogs continue to make his own history in #24.

Can the trivia buffs fill us in on who the major players are that have worn #24? It doesn't ring many bells with me. (Other than Billy Barrot).

Harry said:
I say retire the jumper for one more year then at the beginning of 2005 let Sheedy, as coach, present it to the best under 18 in the country who we picked up in the Nonvember 2004 national draft with the number 1 priority pick.

Don't think Sheedy will ever coach Richmond.

Based on our use of our first selection of draft picks, I wouldnt give it to the No. 1 pick. How would you feel with a player like Pettifer running around with the number ?

I reckon give it to a player who has earnt the respect of the club and the supporters. Someone who is a team player and a real leader.

Dean3 said:
An idea from left field - not sure if it would work well, but what about giving it to whoever is the club captain? You wear the no. 17 for as long as you are captain of the club, and then revert to your original number when you are no longer captain.
Would seem fitting for our greatest ever captain to be remembered through all of our skippers, and some of his leadership qualities might even rub off!
Oy! Have you been looking in the back of my head or something DEAN3. I had exactly the same idea but havent been near the computor for three days to be able to put it in . As Cambo has been carrying 9 for years he should be able to keep it until he finishes and 17 should be rested for a bit, next captain comes along he takes 17 till he is no longer captain passes it on and returns to his previous number(if he plays on). Isn't the whole idea of appointing a captain choosing someone who exemplifies the type of characteristics that we all so admired in Jack Dyer? Leadership discipline integrity courage etc. etc. etc. The last thing we want to do is bury young kids who are just making their mark in the game under the weight of expectation of carrying the number of a legend. Why do you reckon young Gazza Ablett knocked back his dads number and his brother doesn't even want to play the game

TigerMasochist said:
As Cambo has been carrying 9 for years he should be able to keep it until he finishes and 17 should be rested for a bit, next captain comes along he takes 17 till he is no longer captain passes it on and returns to his previous number(if he plays on).

i reckon if they resort to this idea, its just going to get really confusing as time goes on. on the richmond website, they have a poll, and one of the options is to have a no. 17 on all the guernseys, every game. i think they would mean on the heart, like on sunday. i really like this idea.