Cars | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cars

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
Ha! So my two last cars, I’ve had catastrophic failure of both major parts respectively.

The 2012 Kia Sportage, engine needed replacement after 98,000km (not under warranty - cost me $6,500). The 2019 VW Tiguan, a complete CU replacement after 50,000km (luckily under warranty).

Both were very *smile* dangerous situations on 100-110km roads, losing power while climbing, with very little appropriate turn off space, if any.

Sounds like you need to get rid of them PT for your own peace of mind. Would the VW be out of warranty this year? I have a 2009 Nissan Navara (Wife calls it the povo car), Wife has a 2023 Hyundai i30, I know which one I would rather drive.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Sounds like you need to get rid of them PT for your own peace of mind. Would the VW be out of warranty this year? I have a 2009 Nissan Navara (Wife calls it the povo car), Wife has a 2023 Hyundai i30, I know which one I would rather drive.
The 2012 Kia Sportage I sold and purchased the VW Tiguan as its replacement. That was just out of warranty when the engine failed.

The 2019 VW is being fixed under warranty. But yes, does give an uneasy feeling, given the computerised unit died at 50,000km in a 4yo car. When’s the next one die? 100,000km? Warranty is for 5 years.

If I am to replace it. The dilemma is with what. Anything alternative, like a Hyundai Santa Fe or similar (say 2-4 years old) is just another modern car overcooked with technology and all the complexities and unreliability that goes with that.

Buying something with a manual gearbox (even if a newish car of similar age) takes some of that complexity away. But it would likely be a dual cab ute, as they seem to be the only type of car that I can tow with, still relatively widely available with manual gearboxes in their base level models. But not sure I need a car quite that big. A bit of overkill.

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
The 2012 Kia Sportage I sold and purchased the VW Tiguan as its replacement. That was just out of warranty when the engine failed.

The 2019 VW is being fixed under warranty. But yes, does give an uneasy feeling, given the computerised unit died at 50,000km in a 4yo car. When’s the next one die? 100,000km? Warranty is for 5 years.

If I am to replace it. The dilemma is with what. Anything alternative, like a Hyundai Santa Fe or similar (say 2-4 years old) is just another modern car overcooked with technology and all the complexities and unreliability that goes with that.

Buying something with a manual gearbox (even if a newish car of similar age) takes some of that complexity away. But it would likely be a dual cab ute, as they seem to be the only type of car that I can tow with, still relatively widely available with manual gearboxes in their base level models. But not sure I need a car quite that big. A bit of overkill.

It's a hard call, good luck.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach

Here’s an idea. Hardly any maintenance, reliable. Great for climate change adherents as well. You might need more feet on the ground if you need to tow a caravan though.
car spaceship GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Might be an idea to check what the warranty is on the replacement unit. Not many car companies will give you another full five year warranty on a warranty replacement item going into a " used " car.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Might be an idea to check what the warranty is on the replacement unit. Not many car companies will give you another full five year warranty on a warranty replacement item going into a " used " car.
Without researching too hard. I assume once the car itself is over 5 years old, warranty ends. Simple as that.

Which as you suggest, means the new part also wanes out of warranty with the rest of the car.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Without researching too hard. I assume once the car itself is over 5 years old, warranty ends. Simple as that.

Which as you suggest, means the new part also wanes out of warranty with the rest of the car.
It can get fairly variable. Replacement parts generally have a certain warranty period separate from the actual overall car warranty. While parts that are replaced as a warranty repair can sometimes be considered by the dealers to have cancelled out any further warranty status as they are deemed to have concluded the original warranty requirement. They get real unhappy about replacing under warranty an item that fails on a regular basis.

Reactions: 1 user

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Does anyone else have any trust in modern cars?
Not really. Especially not modern European cars, they are great until anything goes wrong, then its time to fork out big dough. I'm a car head at heart, but I kicked the habit years ago. When I was a young whipper snapper I spent all my money on wine, women and cars (the rest I just wasted ha ha!), I decided it was a fools paradise, but I never stopped liking cars. Its all about priorities. Unless you're on big dough, or are tight as a fishes arse, you can't buy a house and have a good car. I decided to buy a house and re-train, so I kicked the car habit, sold the A9X and bought a 120Y, thats about as cold turkey as it gets.

I've honed my approach to cars on a bang for buck/ cost benefit basis to the following: Buy a 10 year old car in great nick and drive it until it dies. Toyotas usually, for reliability and cheap to repair. Its boring, but it works for me. Avoid European cars at all costs due to cost of parts and repairs. VW in particular are bad.

If I won tattlotto I'd find it quite difficult to resist buying a 911.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Same. Or an XJS V12 - manual. Or a 1965 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350. Or...........

There are some beautiful vehicles out there.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Not really. Especially not modern European cars, they are great until anything goes wrong, then its time to fork out big dough. I'm a car head at heart, but I kicked the habit years ago. When I was a young whipper snapper I spent all my money on wine, women and cars (the rest I just wasted ha ha!), I decided it was a fools paradise, but I never stopped liking cars. Its all about priorities. Unless you're on big dough, or are tight as a fishes arse, you can't buy a house and have a good car. I decided to buy a house and re-train, so I kicked the car habit, sold the A9X and bought a 120Y, thats about as cold turkey as it gets.

I've honed my approach to cars on a bang for buck/ cost benefit basis to the following: Buy a 10 year old car in great nick and drive it until it dies. Toyotas usually, for reliability and cheap to repair. Its boring, but it works for me. Avoid European cars at all costs due to cost of parts and repairs. VW in particular are bad.

THIS.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
More bad luck than a fault with modern cars this time.

But already down to one car (with the Tiguan in for Warranty fix), our trusty little 14yo Hyundai Getz.

Today, climbing a hill on a 110km per hour dual carriageway highway, copped a jagged piece of broken metal through a rear tyre. No turn off space in that section, inconsiderate drivers nearly going up my arse, as I attempted to nurse the car to the nearest appropriate turnout space, climbing the hill.

*smile* me……..these continual incidents not doing my nerves driving the open road a lot of good. Now just driving along, essentially expecting *smile* to go wrong, anxiously scanning the side of the road for turnout space the entire time. Basically on edge the entire time I’m driving.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I reckon avoiding car problems is one of the simplest things to do in modern society ....

Buy Toyotas.

Preferrably older ones, but any will do.

Ive always driven old cars.

Avoid european and jeeps. Japanese all the way.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
*smile* me……..these continual incidents not doing my nerves driving the open road a lot of good. Now just driving along, essentially expecting *smile* to go wrong, anxiously scanning the side of the road for turnout space the entire time. Basically on edge the entire time I’m driving.

I feel for you PT.

I dont have much luck with tractors - largely because i didnt heed my own advise and went european a couple of times (never buy any machine from italy - even my coffee machine is *smile*)

And my family and neighbours laugh at me when i describe 'tractor anxiety'
which is as you describe; in a state of heightened senses, hearing things breaking, and imagining the repair bills.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I feel for you PT.

I dont have much luck with tractors - largely because i didnt heed my own advise and went european a couple of times (never buy any machine from italy - even my coffee machine is *smile*)

And my family and neighbours laugh at me when i describe 'tractor anxiety'
which is as you describe; in a state of heightened senses, hearing things breaking, and imagining the repair bills.
I think it’s the dangerously vulnerable situations I’ve been left in all three times that is not great for the nerves. Highway speed, climbing hills with no turnout space.

Three times in the past two years. Catastrophic engine failure with the Kia Sportage. Catastrophic Mechatronics failure with the VW Tiguan that replaced the Sportage. Now more bad luck than anything else the burst tyre driving our trusty little Hyundai Getz. Just that it happened so soon after the others that doesn’t help the nerves.

As you say in a constant state of heightened senses. As it was, climbing the hill today I was already in a paranoid state listening intently to how the engine was performing, regardless of what machine I’m in. Then bang! The tyre burst.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I reckon avoiding car problems is one of the simplest things to do in modern society ....

Buy Toyotas.

Even good old Toyota's are prone to recalls now, not something you would have said a few years ago.
As for Italian cars!!!!! I remember many years ago the motoring writers drooling over this Alpha Romeo or that Fiat & how they were fantastic drivers cars etc etc etc. Completely ignoring the long history of unreliability that those brands suffered from & they still do.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

Buy Toyotas.

Got the VW Tiguan back on Friday just as the long weekend was to commence. New computer control unit for the transmission installed under warranty. So took it on our planned road trip over the long weekend. Wasn’t towing anything this time. Even then, was on edge the entire time climbing the hill passes enroute to our destination.

As much as I hate playing musical cars (only bought it 11-12 mths ago) and the wife and I really love driving it, just weighing up selling it and buying something else as a replacement. Not sure I trust it anymore. Particularly towing our 1300kg fold out camper.

We don’t really need a ute (which 80% of people towing campers seem to have). And the wife said she just wouldn’t drive one. Need a Swiss Army knife equivalent of a car, capable of towing our modest sized camper, and for every day use.

A slightly older Toyota Kluger might fit the purpose. Have seen some about 8YO with a touch over 100,000km on them ($25-27k). One could say, barely run in for a Toyota. Albeit they are a bit thirsty on fuel. Having said that we don’t do a lot of mileage. Only 8000-9000km per year.

Another option, the Hyundai Santa Fe. Although you need to go to a 2020 model onwards in order to get one rated to a 200kg tow ball down weight (our camper 115-130kg down weight). Even small campers in Australia tend to have pretty heavy tow ball weights compared to European equivalent campers.

Just don’t know if I trust the overly sophisticated, fragile VW transmission anymore with towing duties. A bit scarred by the overall experience. Even with a small camper (it’s rated to nearly double our camper’s weight, so thought I was being pretty conservative).

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Got the VW Tiguan back on Friday just as the long weekend was to commence. New computer control unit for the transmission installed under warranty. So took it on our planned road trip over the long weekend. Wasn’t towing anything this time. Even then, was on edge the entire time climbing the hill passes enroute to our destination.

As much as I hate playing musical cars (only bought it 11-12 mths ago) and the wife and I really love driving it, just weighing up selling it and buying something else as a replacement. Not sure I trust it anymore. Particularly towing our 1300kg fold out camper.

We don’t really need a ute (which 80% of people towing campers seem to have). And the wife said she just wouldn’t drive one. Need a Swiss Army knife equivalent of a car, capable of towing our modest sized camper, and for every day use.

A slightly older Toyota Kluger might fit the purpose. Have seen some about 8YO with a touch over 100,000km on them ($25-27k). One could say, barely run in for a Toyota. Albeit they are a bit thirsty on fuel. Having said that we don’t do a lot of mileage. Only 8000-9000km per year.

Another option, the Hyundai Santa Fe. Although you need to go to a 2020 model onwards in order to get one rated to a 200kg tow ball down weight (our camper 115-130kg down weight). Even small campers in Australia tend to have pretty heavy tow ball weights compared to European equivalent campers.

Just don’t know if I trust the overly sophisticated, fragile VW transmission anymore with towing duties. A bit scarred by the overall experience. Even with a small camper (it’s rated to nearly double our camper’s weight, so thought I was being pretty conservative).
He’s useless with most things but @Ridley can give you a good idea of the Kluger pros and cons.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
So I have this car

2014 Mazda 3 SP25 GT BM Series Auto​

Mazda 3 2014​

It had this habit a year ago of the on screen selector moving itself and selecting things.

So while I’m driving it would call a random person and I’d try and hang up and then it would do it again and again. Super dangerous.

Not sure what they did to fix it but charged me an arm and a leg. It was pretty dangerous and distracting and a pretty minor bug.

Also leased a newer car. FMD if I didn’t kept getting yelled at that I was entering a school zone and I needed to slow down every 2 minutes. Only issue was it was 10am and the school zone wasn’t active. So *smile* annoying. Had no idea how to turn it off.