Cars | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cars

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
He’s useless with most things but @Ridley can give you a good idea of the Kluger pros and cons.
I can indeed give @Panthera Tigris a lived experience analsys of the pros and cons of a Kluger; thanks Chumpford.

Had 2 of them; both AWD Grandes. First was a 2011 Japanese manufacture. Did approx. 150K in 5.5 years. Did not miss a beat; great car. Then I had a 2017 USA manufacture and did slightly lesser kms; approx. 130K in 5.5 years. Both were great cars but I did prefer the USA version. Better looking car and had 8 speed transmission as opposed to 5 speed in the older Japanese model. Both cars pretty heavy on fuel but what do you expect in a petrol AWD that weighs around 2 ton. Reckon on average around 11.5l per 100km. The best thing about the Kluger is the interior space and design; incredible on both versions I had and so much storage space. There is also so much interior room in these cars. I don't know how they do it but even though they are smaller than Landcruisers and Prados they actually have more interior space. This was confirmed by a Toyota dealer when I test drove the 300 series Landcruiser and new Kluger back to back.

I never towed with my Klugers so can't comment but others I know have towed items well within the cars capabilities and handled it well. But as it is not diesel fuel consumption will be more of an issue. Otherwise I can highly recommend a Kluger from my experience. Like all Toyotas they are extremely reliable and resale value is outstanding. You will pay more because of that but worth it for the reliability and you'll reap the rewards when you sell down the track.

I would recommend paying more for AWD especially with towing. I have driven FWD versions (company cars) and the torque steer is not great; especially in the wet.

I'd stay away from German cars. They look good and have awesome technology; it might sound like a good idea at the time but they don't seem as reliable as Toyotas or other Japanese brands and are dear as poison if you need to fix them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I reckon avoiding car problems is one of the simplest things to do in modern society ....

Buy Toyotas.

Preferrably older ones, but any will do.

Ive always driven old cars.

Avoid european and jeeps. Japanese all the way.
You've never made a truer statement easy. I swear by Toyotas, if you see one on the side of the road, it hasn't broken down, it's run out of fuel.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I reckon avoiding car problems is one of the simplest things to do in modern society ....

Buy Toyotas.

Preferrably older ones, but any will do.

Ive always driven old cars.

Avoid european and jeeps. Japanese all the way.
Agree with this. Toyotas. They don't break down and resale is amazing.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I can indeed give @Panthera Tigris a lived experience analsys of the pros and cons of a Kluger; thanks Chumpford.

Had 2 of them; both AWD Grandes. First was a 2011 Japanese manufacture. Did approx. 150K in 5.5 years. Did not miss a beat; great car. Then I had a 2017 USA manufacture and did slightly lesser kms; approx. 130K in 5.5 years. Both were great cars but I did prefer the USA version. Better looking car and had 8 speed transmission as opposed to 5 speed in the older Japanese model. Both cars pretty heavy on fuel but what do you expect in a petrol AWD that weighs around 2 ton. Reckon on average around 11.5l per 100km. The best thing about the Kluger is the interior space and design; incredible on both versions I had and so much storage space. There is also so much interior room in these cars. I don't know how they do it but even though they are smaller than Landcruisers and Prados they actually have more interior space. This was confirmed by a Toyota dealer when I test drove the 300 series Landcruiser and new Kluger back to back.

I never towed with my Klugers so can't comment but others I know have towed items well within the cars capabilities and handled it well. But as it is not diesel fuel consumption will be more of an issue. Otherwise I can highly recommend a Kluger from my experience. Like all Toyotas they are extremely reliable and resale value is outstanding. You will pay more because of that but worth it for the reliability and you'll reap the rewards when you sell down the track.

I would recommend paying more for AWD especially with towing. I have driven FWD versions (company cars) and the torque steer is not great; especially in the wet.

I'd stay away from German cars. They look good and have awesome technology; it might sound like a good idea at the time but they don't seem as reliable as Toyotas or other Japanese brands and are dear as poison if you need to fix them.
Yeah, one of my work colleagues traded out of his front wheel drive Kluger 6-7 years ago because of the lack of torque as well as spinning wheels in the wet when he started towing a modest sized boat. Apart from that, he said it was his favourite car.

He went to a Ford Territory AWD. Has proven a pretty solid, reliable car, but the diesel engine in it hasn’t been entirely trouble free. He certainly rates the Kluger above his Ford Territory for reliability.

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Got the VW Tiguan back on Friday just as the long weekend was to commence. New computer control unit for the transmission installed under warranty. So took it on our planned road trip over the long weekend. Wasn’t towing anything this time. Even then, was on edge the entire time climbing the hill passes enroute to our destination.

As much as I hate playing musical cars (only bought it 11-12 mths ago) and the wife and I really love driving it, just weighing up selling it and buying something else as a replacement. Not sure I trust it anymore. Particularly towing our 1300kg fold out camper.

We don’t really need a ute (which 80% of people towing campers seem to have). And the wife said she just wouldn’t drive one. Need a Swiss Army knife equivalent of a car, capable of towing our modest sized camper, and for every day use.

A slightly older Toyota Kluger might fit the purpose. Have seen some about 8YO with a touch over 100,000km on them ($25-27k). One could say, barely run in for a Toyota. Albeit they are a bit thirsty on fuel. Having said that we don’t do a lot of mileage. Only 8000-9000km per year.

Another option, the Hyundai Santa Fe. Although you need to go to a 2020 model onwards in order to get one rated to a 200kg tow ball down weight (our camper 115-130kg down weight). Even small campers in Australia tend to have pretty heavy tow ball weights compared to European equivalent campers.

Just don’t know if I trust the overly sophisticated, fragile VW transmission anymore with towing duties. A bit scarred by the overall experience. Even with a small camper (it’s rated to nearly double our camper’s weight, so thought I was being pretty conservative).

Sell the vW.

Id see if a toyota rav 4 can tow your rig (it should)

And soup up the suspension.

Ive launched my boat with the Rav 4 plenty

My wifes (then kids) have had 3 Rav 4's

They are astonishing machines. They burn oil after about 200k but they also seem to
Run fine on a thimble full of oil

People who have the new hybrid model love them too

If the rav 4 cant tow your rig and do what you need,

Toyota Prado

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Sell the vW.

Id see if a toyota rav 4 can tow your rig (it should)

And soup up the suspension.

Ive launched my boat with the Rav 4 plenty

My wifes (then kids) have had 3 Rav 4's

They are astonishing machines. They burn oil after about 200k but they also seem to
Run fine on a thimble full of oil

People who have the new hybrid model love them too

If the rav 4 cant tow your rig and do what you need,

Toyota Prado
Have owned a manual Rav 4 years ago in the past. Good reliable car. But towing the camper with it would be a bit too close to the weight limits than I like, which I tend to tread very conservatively with. And wondering if it would feel a bit underpowered towing 1.3 tonnes. Maybe, maybe not. A difficult thing to test out until after you have purchased.

That said am half thinking the whole camper thing is all too hard and a bit of a money pit. Hence if I sell, a Rav 4 may well suit. Prado seems beyond how many $$ I want in a car.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Get a Landrover. Great on and off road, brilliant for towing. You only live once, gotta enjoy the drive. Never had s problem in over 5 years ownership.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Have owned a manual Rav 4 years ago in the past. Good reliable car. But towing the camper with it would be a bit too close to the weight limits than I like, which I tend to tread very conservatively with. And wondering if it would feel a bit underpowered towing 1.3 tonnes. Maybe, maybe not. A difficult thing to test out until after you have purchased.

That said am half thinking the whole camper thing is all too hard and a bit of a money pit. Hence if I sell, a Rav 4 may well suit. Prado seems beyond how many $$ I want in a car.

Weve put a hard roof top tent on the Rav4 is a good set up.

james barud? Tent - brilliant

@tigersnake is looking at hybrid rav4's he may be able to shed some light. Word has it theyve conpromised none of the rav 4 reliability, but you use 5litres/100km.

Thats the other slight downside of the petrol rav4 - driving all 4 wheels takes a bit of juice.