Cat B rookies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cat B rookies

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
And it continues…

Geelongs Irish recruit, Cat B rookie, 21 yr old Oisin Mullin, has quit on his desire to play AFL. It’s getting worse, this one never even came to Australia! Quit before he got here.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Irish recruits have never done it for me , the resources req to develop these protege into footballers is rarely worth it , I’d much rather focus on those that slip through Conventional cracks

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
And it continues…

Geelongs Irish recruit, Cat B rookie, 21 yr old Oisin Mullin, has quit on his desire to play AFL. It’s getting worse, this one never even came to Australia! Quit before he got here.
This hurts Geelong, they had huge wraps on this boy. Had him slated as someone who could be a best 22 this year.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Pandemic no doubt hurts the Irish quest.
No flights, potentially stuck here for years.
Missing Christmas etc.

The green gig will return when the bug is squashed

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
This hurts Geelong, they had huge wraps on this boy. Had him slated as someone who could be a best 22 this year.
Love it!
Geelong not getting speed and youth into their side is a top outcome

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
And it continues…

To be fair, any 21yo player at Geelong is going to be disillusioned.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
And it continues…

I saw he won the Irish lotto a few days before he was due to come over. Didn’t need the money anymore so he quit

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Hawthorn have delisted their Cat B rookie Irishman Fionn O’Hara. Yet another failure of the “Irish experiment “. It’s a farce.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
We should ask Ivan and Noah if they have any cousins from the old country that are interested in b catagory rookie position.

The Balkan area punches way above its weight when it comes to sports.

Australia's standard of living is far higher than that area so moving to Australia and have family around would be a plus.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
We should ask Ivan and Noah if they have any cousins from the old country that are interested in b catagory rookie position.

Australia's standard of living is far higher than that area so moving to Australia and have family around would be a plus.

Even better if they were a basketballer. ;)

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004

Noah’s cousin Patrick was meant to play with our VFL team but I don’t think he ever did.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
“ESSENDON, Richmond, Geelong and Hawthorn will host the four Irish prospects for trials this week ahead of their testing at the AFL Draft Combine.

The AFL has brought out four talents – James McLaughlin, Eoin McElholm, Odran Murdock and Conor Corbett – to trial at clubs and also take part in the three-day Combine later this week.

The players were at the Bombers on Monday, with trials also to take place at the Tigers, Cats and Hawks through the week before the Combine commences on Friday at the Melbourne Park and MCG precinct.

Corbett is a 192cm star at Gaelic level, while McLaughlin is a sports all-rounder having played basketball, soccer, golf and Gaelic rules. McElholm is renowned for his speed, while Murdock is the standout player from his county, with all chasing an AFL contract.

The AFL's venture back into the Irish scene has seen Carlton sign two players – Rob Monahan and Matt Duffy – as category B rookies already, while St Kilda listed Liam O’Connell recently as well.

It also follows the AFL Grand Final, where Irishman Conor McKenna played for the Lions and American Mason Cox became a premiership player with Collingwood.“

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
“ESSENDON, Richmond, Geelong and Hawthorn will host the four Irish prospects for trials this week ahead of their testing at the AFL Draft Combine.

The AFL has brought out four talents – James McLaughlin, Eoin McElholm, Odran Murdock and Conor Corbett – to trial at clubs and also take part in the three-day Combine later this week.

The players were at the Bombers on Monday, with trials also to take place at the Tigers, Cats and Hawks through the week before the Combine commences on Friday at the Melbourne Park and MCG precinct.

Corbett is a 192cm star at Gaelic level, while McLaughlin is a sports all-rounder having played basketball, soccer, golf and Gaelic rules. McElholm is renowned for his speed, while Murdock is the standout player from his county, with all chasing an AFL contract.

The AFL's venture back into the Irish scene has seen Carlton sign two players – Rob Monahan and Matt Duffy – as category B rookies already, while St Kilda listed Liam O’Connell recently as well.

It also follows the AFL Grand Final, where Irishman Conor McKenna played for the Lions and American Mason Cox became a premiership player with Collingwood.“
Good luck to the lads. I hope they all find clubs and make a go of it.

I was 10 years old when we immigrated to Australia so the go home factor was never an issue for me growing up. But I can understand how difficult it must be for young men to do so.

If I'm totally honest it's only now that I'm an old fart that I long for the mother country, even though I have no real memories of the place. Might be the beginnings of dementia who knows.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Good luck to the lads. I hope they all find clubs and make a go of it.

I was 10 years old when we immigrated to Australia so the go home factor was never an issue for me growing up. But I can understand how difficult it must be for young men to do so.

If I'm totally honest it's only now that I'm an old fart that I long for the mother country, even though I have no real memories of the place. Might be the beginnings of dementia who knows.

Nostalgic Dementia maybe :)

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Do we know if the 4 Irish boys trained this week and whether we were impressed.
In this regard can’t see Mate staying on the list.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Do we know if the 4 Irish boys trained this week and whether we were impressed.
In this regard can’t see Mate staying on the list.
I read somewhere they went home about a week ago. They were only out for a week or so. Also read we were going to rerookie Mate so who knows.