Cats | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cats

zacs56

Watch out, the Tigers are coming to get you!
Mar 31, 2003
johnson2richo2003 said:
DragicevicFan said:
People can say what they like about Everywhere Eddie, but he's alot more for Collingwood than President Clinton has for us.
rediculous statement considering edwards position at channel collingwood.if casey ran channel 7.9 or 10 i bet my life on it he would be doing an eddie.
All is silent about our two away trips in a row
AND NO local tele or radio or social club get together on the night.
or the statement made behind closed doors
that martys and Jays pay would increase by 5000 if they played a full senior game this year.
which Richmond cannot afford.
And Mcsquire cleaned out all their duds to make the finals
we have spent more money on seat warming duds at the top to watch the playing duds do nothing.

YeahNah

Attitude + Expectation = Culture
Dec 19, 2002
Upper Yarra Valley
I'm looking at the longer term and our ability to get a top line coach if Frawley can't get the team up next year. My responses to RR's critique is

1. The vast majority of supporters are sick of the current negative, boring, defensive and "damage minimalisation" style of play. For Spud to change would be a complete move away from his thinking on football, thus he would know even less than he currently does.
Many posters on this board are like that, but the other Tigers supporters I know are not howling for the coaches blood. They are sick of the sack the coach mentality and want the players held accountable this time. I guess it depends who you talk to.

2. Memberships will continue to decrease as a result.
I tend to think they've bottomed out. Success will bring members, a lack will bring the lack we have now

3. Crowds will continue to decrease as a result
Same as above. Success will bring crowds etc.

4. It will require so much work by the club to make up this lost ground with supporters, that it may take 2-3 years to sort the financial mess out.
Really? You think success or the recruiting of a coach like Barney or Sheedy wouldn't get the supporters back quickly? I can't agree. The finances may suffer for another year, or they may not. It boils down to success. I the Tiges look formidable the fans will come. Recruiting this year and seeing what players are let go is more likely to have an impact on getting supporters back into the fold than another bout of bad publicity of axing another coach.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
YeahNah said:
I'm looking at the longer term and our ability to get a top line coach if Frawley can't get the team up next year. My responses to RR's critique is

1. The vast majority of supporters are sick of the current negative, boring, defensive and "damage minimalisation" style of play. For Spud to change would be a complete move away from his thinking on football, thus he would know even less than he currently does.
Many posters on this board are like that, but the other Tigers supporters I know are not howling for the coaches blood. They are sick of the sack the coach mentality and want the players held accountable this time. I guess it depends who you talk to.

2. Memberships will continue to decrease as a result.
I tend to think they've bottomed out. Success will bring members, a lack will bring the lack we have now

3. Crowds will continue to decrease as a result
Same as above. Success will bring crowds etc.

4. It will require so much work by the club to make up this lost ground with supporters, that it may take 2-3 years to sort the financial mess out.
Really? You think success or the recruiting of a coach like Barney or Sheedy wouldn't get the supporters back quickly? I can't agree. The finances may suffer for another year, or they may not. It boils down to success. I the Tiges look formidable the fans will come. Recruiting this year and seeing what players are let go is more likely to have an impact on getting supporters back into the fold than another bout of bad publicity of axing another coach.

Thanks for your thoughts YN.

On the point of a changing coaches, most tiger fans I speak with are almost in denial (i was) that Danny is no good, and it sickens and sadens people to admit to this fact. 20 years of teading water has got to most people obviously :'( :'(

The cost of memberships will increase again next year. It will be a case of value for money for a lot of people. ATM, worst value for money ticket in town.

On point 4, I am coming from the stand point that Danny is a crap coach with a fundamentally flawed game plan, and no matter which players we get in next year, we will always struggle.

On the coach, a few years ago, i was speaking to a former tiger great from the 50's, who always felt that a senior coach needs to be a person who has won premierships or at least played in finals on a regular basis. His thoughts were that if you hadn't played at that level, how can you coach at that level.

His thoughts proved correct, as we now have a bloke whose coaching ethos has been developed thru 12 years of no success at Saints and 4 years of no success at Pies. No wonder all Danny knows is to be defensive and negative.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Rampaging Richo said:
On the coach, a few years ago, i was speaking to a former tiger great from the 50's, who always felt that a senior coach needs to be a person who has won premierships or at least played in finals on a regular basis. His thoughts were that if you hadn't played at that level, how can you coach at that level.

His thoughts proved correct, as we now have a bloke whose coaching ethos has been developed thru 12 years of no success at Saints and 4 years of no success at Pies. No wonder all Danny knows is to be defensive and negative.

Forgetting about Danny completely for a moment, Tommy Hafey didn't win a flag as a player. In fact he never played finals. Denis Pagan would be in that category as well when he played.

To be a premiership coach you first of all need a quality list of players. If you don't have the cattle you ain't going anywhere. Secondly you need to have the ability to get the best out of them both individually and more importantly as a team such as preparation, team rules/game plan, etc..

YeahNah

Dec 19, 2002
Upper Yarra Valley
You may be right RR, then again you may not be. Which ever road the Tigers take will be well received by some and poorly by others, and only success can vindicate the decision.
I think being a part of premiership team is useful, but not essential. The majority of successful coaches seem to have come from successful teams, but not all.
To set the record straight. I'm not a DF lover. I am not sure he's the man for the job. I'm very concerned that when we replace him ( and let's face it, every coach gets replaced sooner or later ) we get the timing right and don't scare off the good coaches and let the players who don't deserve to be there off the hook.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
mightytiges said:
Forgetting about Danny completely for a moment, Tommy Hafey didn't win a flag as a player. In fact he never played finals. Denis Pagan would be in that category as well when he played.

To be a premiership coach you first of all need a quality list of players. If you don't have the cattle you ain't going anywhere. Secondly you need to have the ability to get the best out of them both individually and more importantly as a team such as preparation, team rules/game plan, etc..

Tommy Hafey with the help of Graeme Richmond developed one of the most formidable list ever, but Tommy also revolutionised the game in the way he got players fit, the implementation of an actual game plan that worked, and his rigid disciplines.

Pagan also had a freak list, but had alot of success coaching at under 19's and reserves level.

Clearly a good list is paramount, as is the ability to use what you have got effectively. We don't have the first, and Danny is smart enough to do the second.

YeahNah

Dec 19, 2002
Upper Yarra Valley
Sorry if I offended you Julz. I'm not a fan of the Gold Coast. Too built up and busy. I enjoyed Harbour town alright though. The Gold Coach is reputed to have a few very special Tiger fans though!
Sorry about the eyes bleeding. Is this Better?

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
I'm hoping you mean I'm the exception to the rule there Rosy :-\

YeahNah - if you mean Surfers - yeah it's a rats race. The southern areas, where I live, are nicer. The weather is better than Melbourne, petrol cheaper (except public and school holidays). The drawback - you go through money entertaining the kids, the lack of AFL (although the coverage is getting better) and the rellies are far away (which can be both good and bad) 8)

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
LOL, I'm sure its a lovely place once you get used to it Julz. Like most places...

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Yeah Nah you must be colour blind. I hope your dress colour coordination is better. What ever you said in Green I hope it was not important as I couldn't read any of that.

Maybe thats why no one has ever seen a real Leprechaun hey.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
We will probably flog the Cats now as most of the players will have read the article about the list today in the age and will be playing for what they see as their future.

All will be Rosy (No pun Intended) until next week