CBA | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

CBA

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I've always hesitated getting bank teller jobs years ago. Too many weirdos at the counter.
I worked in the “cage” which handled only corporate customers and looked after the entire branch’s cash. I used to go up to the tellers on the front counter to collect all their surplus cash and say to them “What have you got in your drawers ?”

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Wasn't there two? Comm Trading Bank and Comm Service Bank. As a kid, I barely remember 2 names of the same bank.

I remember there used to be a plaque on the branches: Commonwealth Trading Bank; Commonwealth Savings Bank and I thought there was another one too.

DS

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I worked in the “cage” which handled only corporate customers and looked after the entire branch’s cash. I used to go up to the tellers on the front counter to collect all their surplus cash and say to them “What have you got in your drawers ?”
He said with a stern look.:))

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
Wasn't there two? Comm Trading Bank and Comm Service Bank. As a kid, I barely remember 2 names of the same bank.
Commonwealth Trading Bank of Australia (CTBA). Was the business side of the Bank. CSB - Commonwealth Savings Bank (‘personal/home loan side). CDB Commonwealth Development Bank - lender of last resort - got a lot of start up business (mainly agriculture) going. The abbreviation for the Commonwealth used to be CTBA - to different from the former CBA which was the Commercial Bank of Australasia.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
And the ES&A Bank was also a decent sized Bank which was around for more than 100 years. It stood the English,Scottish and Australia Bank and it merged with ANZ in 1970 .
ANZ reused the name as ESANDA Finance for probably 50 years but I believe it has been acquired by Macquarie now.
Esanda became the asset finance arm of the ANZ Bank, providing Hire purchase/leasing/chattel mortgage finance. Used to be CBFC’s biggest competitor in these parts. CBFC being the asset finance arm of the Commonwealth Bank Group.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Esanda became the asset finance arm of the ANZ Bank, providing Hire purchase/leasing/chattel mortgage finance. Used to be CBFC’s biggest competitor in these parts. CBFC being the asset finance arm of the Commonwealth Bank Group.
AGC being Westpac’s equivalent.

1666909289612.jpeg

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
yeah, they were all staples in the corporate leasing space that we would get quotes from in my previous lives.

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
Yup. The Commonwealth Bank (Commonwealth Trading Bank of Australia was the CTBA in those days. CBA for Commercial Bank of Australasia prior to merger with the Bank of New South Wales to become Westpac. I remember. Nearly worked at both CBA and CTBA. Instead….went to the SBV (State Bank of Victoria) and then the “NEW” CBA too when they took the SBV over and I ended up working for them anyway for near a decade.
Jimbob was there a 3rd bank that merged with CBA and Bank of NSW to create Westpac?

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
Jimbob was there a 3rd bank that merged with CBA and Bank of NSW to create Westpac?
Nuh. Commercial Bank of Australasia and the Bank of New South Wales became Westpac. Westpac did later bought both Bank of Melbourne (originally Resi Statewide Building Society before becoming a Bank in it’s own right) and St George Bank. At different times. But the initial Westpac was the Wales and CBA getting together.

The National Bank and the Commercial Banking Co. of Sydney (the old CBC) became the NBA and later NAB.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I've been looking and waiting around for it since the CBA got announced around 6 September. Gill's apparently working on it with Marsh and Dangerfield. Probably the last thing he gets resolved,ahhhh, he still has Tassie too :D

But my understanding was the last deal 2017-2022 was for around $300M a season, the new deal is $436M a season, so the salary cap should go up a bit you'd guess, meaning we should comfortably fit Hopper and Taranto in the new salary cap ;) whenever that may be?

Glad someone can remain on topic. ;)

I think the cap went up about 1.5 million from 2021 to 22, so I'd expect something similar. The clubs must know what the number is but I can't find it anywhere public.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Glad someone can remain on topic. ;)

I think the cap went up about 1.5 million from 2021 to 22, so I'd expect something similar. The clubs must know what the number is but I can't find it anywhere public.
Lol, still no news, if the clubs know, they're keeping it to themselves. The cap was around the same in 2021 and 2022, I think $13.4M in 2021 and $13.5.

Got a feeling they will take two years to get back to the pre-covid level of $14.7M.

2023 maybe around $14M, 2024 back to $14.7.

Only factoring in smaller increments less than $1M+ because I would have thought if it rose that much next season the Suns and Giants would have been able to hang onto at least Hopper and Bowes wouldn't they? :unsure: If the cap rose by $1M+ they'd be able to keep them right? But I could be wrong too man, Gill follows me and luvs to make me wrong!! :LOL:

So reckon it might be 2-3 years to get them to $14.7M and rising :)

(In 2021, AFL teams were permitted to pay $13.4 million to their players - down from $14.7 million due to the impacts of COVID-19, which created some serious difficulties for many clubs. Total Player Payments, for 2022 season is A$13,540,000 with a salary floor of $12,863,000.)