CHANGES MOOTED IN HERALD SUN | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

CHANGES MOOTED IN HERALD SUN

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Why oh why do coaches want to change the rules every year. Parkin is one who seems to constantly wants to change the way the game is played.

Now, Woosha has joined the fray.

Read it in the HS today.

16 a side, instead of 18, reduce the rotations to 60 and so it goes on.

Hocking will be licking his chops as he senses a raft of changes.

Next it might be no contact or no high flying, who knows what they might come up with?

Maybe those who want to change year in year out want the game to be more like soccer.

Reactions: 1 user

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Ya just know when this kind of *smile* is 'floated', it means they're actually thinking of doing it.
The AFL is like any government where they put stuff out there, either to test the waters, or to soften us up for the inevitable. I can see B.Scott on the phone to C.Scott concocting a whole new set of rules!

Good opportunity for innovative teams like ours to trial all sorts of stuff if the season is delayed and players continue to train.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Why weren't rule/game changes introduced when we were shiitt?
Why all of sudden we have new rules and changes implemented when we are currently unstoppable?
It's becuase they can't stand us dominating.
What's next, our home games will be played at VFL park??

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
They've just got to leave the game alone.

The more they change it every year the less and less I feel connected and love for the game reduces.. Madness

Reactions: 1 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
So whether it's media d!ckheads, Diverfield, Doofus Hocking or the Ping Pong brothers, I can't help but think that they think they are smarter than everybody else (without any evidence to support the notion).

Did either of SHocking's last brain farts produce the results they promised? Of course not because if they did, there would be articles in the media saying how justified these were.

Is there any chance that one of these f_wits might realise that someone else got it pretty right? Yes there are imperfections with the draw but it generally gets evened out over time.

The constant need to tinker with the game is a disgrace.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Tackling a player from the back who dives is now a Push In The Back......oh hang on.....

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Yeah - leave us alone.

on a side, when was the last time they had 16 a side?
Good question.

The VFL/AFL has always fielded 18 players a team. But in the old VFA (Victorian Football Association) it wasn’t always that way.

During a 33-year stretch from 1959 to 1991 the VFA fielded 16 players a team. Only once during that period—in 1969—was the average VFL score higher with its 18-a-team format.

The VFA outscored the VFL by nearly 20 points a game during that period, and when it returned to the 18-man format in 1992 it dropped back to minus three points.

In fact, in the three years leading up to the change from 18 to 16 and the two years after returning to 18, the VFA was outscored on average by the VFL/AFL in four of the five seasons.

On those stats alone, it is hard to argue that a reduction to 16 in the AFL wouldn’t have some effect on scoring.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Why oh why do coaches want to change the rules every year. Parkin is one who seems to constantly wants to change the way the game is played.

Now, Woosha has joined the fray.

Read it in the HS today.

16 a side, instead of 18, reduce the rotations to 60 and so it goes on.

Hocking will be licking his chops as he senses a raft of changes.

Next it might be no contact or no high flying, who knows what they might come up with?

Maybe those who want to change year in year out want the game to be more like soccer.
SEN has become a forum for rule change discussions. AFL media being a full yr thing is the issue.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Thought there was a Charter written about the game and that 18 per side is written into the charter.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I’m the odd guy out, I like 16 a side. 38 players on the field is too many.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
16-a-side would be devastating for our swarming style of play. It would be impossible to close down the space of kick-mark teams like West Coast. GWS would win the next five flags, so they'll probably do it.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
16 a side is not footy.
Didn’t the VFL do that at one point? No wings.
They should give KB his wish and do away with interchange altogether, see how badly it messes up the game and finally put that issue to bed and tell him that it’s not the 1970’s any more.