China | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

China

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The next generation might not have a choice about their standard of living if China's aggressive global domination plan isn't put into check. If China took over the Pacific ocean and restricted trade in and out of Australia, and The Donald decided it wasn't anything to do with him, what choice would Gen Z have? Join the CCP? They may just have to harden the f up for the common good right now while Australia finds a new major trading partner. We did it when Britain cut us off in the 1970s to join the EU, with a bit of creative thinking we can do it again.

I agree with you that the Australian democratic system is limited to 3 year cycles of planning in the main. By contrast, the CCP has installed itself in power without any operative political rivals to deal with internally, and so they are able to plan decades into the future towards global Chinese rule. Our narcissistic small minded politicians across all parties only think and plan until the next election, and if letting China do what it wants with our land and resources helps them do that, that's what they do, e.g. selling water to China in drought stricken areas:
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ning-operation-in-drought-stricken-queensland

Hopefully instead of a major global war, China's mishandling of Coronavirus and subsequent manoeuvring in the region can wake us the f up.

Fantastic post.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Property prices would decline.
No better way to get out of parliament

It would be great if property prices declined, houses are way too expensive now. But you are correct, political suicide. Even those who bought years ago seem to like the idea of a house worth squllions, not sure why really given that selling for a high price means buying in the same overpriced market.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
It would be great if property prices declined, houses are way too expensive now. But you are correct, political suicide. Even those who bought years ago seem to like the idea of a house worth squllions, not sure why really given that selling for a high price means buying in the same overpriced market.
Because If you bought years ago and your house is worth squillons and you sell and you’re scaling down. So for eg sell at $1.2/$1.5m range and buy further out for $700/800k.

Last edited:

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
There absolutely should be an investigation into the origins and the lessons learned from COVID-19 but I fear that the stupidity of the Americans aided by the Murdoch press has now made that very difficult. This fabricated assertion that it was created in a Wuhan laboratory is going to be so counter productive.

One can only hope that some quiet diplomacy behind the scenes from others can lead to something meaningful because learning from this has nothing to with anything else than the safety of all of us in the end.

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I think humanity will learn the lessons regardless. It's a bit like the tsunami in 2004. When you watch videos of the moments before the waves came, the ocean had sucked right out and people were walking out on the dry sea bed, fascinated.

Now, as soon as there is an earthquake or any other sign people react. 9/11, Black Saturday both changed our behaviour as well.

I think next time there is a hint of a potential pandemic the world will shut down in a heartbeat, things this significant tend to leave a lasting impression.
Yes that’s true but the investigation into the actual source of the initial infection, what was done to contain it and learning from that is really important and that requires the Chinese to cooperate.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Exactly TOO!

We are giving away way too much !

Australia didn't give away anything. Foreign ownership became easier so more houses would be built and bought driving the construction industry which is the foundation of most economies.

Prices went up quickly and everyone was happier because they suddenly became richer. Re-mortgage and end up with cash to spend. New boat, new jet-ski, new car, upgrade to a McMansion so everyone has a home theatre room, en-suites everywhere, outdoor dining areas.

When people think they're richer, they're happy. When they're happy, they normal re-elect the government.

The only way to get it back is to buy it back, but that will cost too much. Or try to sieze it back, which will result in a war.

It's the Chinese now buying our big land and companies. Was the Japanese in the 80's.

Houses? Chinese now, probably Indians too. But 60s and 70s it was the Italians and Greeks. Then the Yugoslavs. Turks followed by Lebanese. Vietnamese arrived.

It's always happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Probably. This is the kind of short term thinking, blinded by the cashola, that is seeing the country bought out from underneath our feet.
I am not arguing, just pointing out why governments of any shade will not make major changes.
My take is it requires a balance between foreign investment and local ownership

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Property prices would decline.
No better way to get out of parliament
What? Property prices increased because of foreign ownership? That is just wrong td. Absolutely very little to do with foreign ownership.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
What? Property prices increased because of foreign ownership? That is just wrong td. Absolutely very little to do with foreign ownership.
I didnt say that it increased because of foreign ownership, rather that without the foreign demand pressure the relative price would drop.
Future, not past.

But I am no expert, and not in the industry.
Happy to stand corrected.

I did find this printed Aug 2019

Foreign property demand falling sharply
Australia´s house price surge can be partly attributed to foreign homebuyers, who have accounted for over 20% of property purchases every year.

However foreign property demand is now falling sharply, hit by tighter regulations both in Australia and in China, the largest source of foreign demand.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
And there is this, published May 2018

Australia’s Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) reported this week that foreign residential real estate approvals dropped significantly in the 2016-17 period.

Whereas 2015-16 saw 40,149 approvals granted, totalling A$72.4 billion, the figure for the following year was just 13,198 approvals, totalling A$25.2 billion. On these numbers, the foreign property investment boom looks to be over.

FIRB suggests that declining demand from China is a factor in the overall decline in overseas approvals.