classy, skilled, small, FAST draft prospects | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

classy, skilled, small, FAST draft prospects

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Classy, small, fast draft prospects, we all know this is a glaring need, OK what is out there? Where are they likely to go? I've heard Jarman Impey and Dwayne Wilson's names thrown up, any others? Thoughts on these?

FWIW based on Emma Quayle's article, which reading between the lines understates the problems, Garlett does not sound like a goer to me.

tigersnake said:
FWIW based on Emma Quayle's article, which reading between the lines understates the problems, Garlett does not sound like a goer to me.

Is this based on talent or culture?

tigerlee said:
Is this based on talent or culture?

Evidence-based. I wouldn't have thought anyone would question that he has talent. I'd like to talk about other prospects on this thread, there is a DG thread with plenty of legs.

Kennedy-Harris is the other one in the frame at our third pick, for potential rookies I'd look at Daniel Cox and Aaron Christenson.

The other small we could consider is James Tsitas, probably not a player appropriate for this thread, but he ticks most of the boxes you would want for a third rounder. I reckon he could be the Luke Parker / Andrew Swallow / Nick Graham of this draft given the overall midfield depth.

The thread describes Lewis Taylor. We would have to use our first pick to get him.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2013/06/04/366391_gfc.html

MB78 said:
The thread describes Lewis Taylor. We would have to use our first pick to get him.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2013/06/04/366391_gfc.html

He's a gun, I certainly don't have any issues with using pick 11 on him, the only real knock on him is size. His ability to kick on either side is as good as anyone in the draft, and he's also got very impressive acceleration. If we want a genuine rover then he'd be close to topping the list.

bullus_hit said:
He's a gun, I certainly don't have any issues with using pick 11 on him, the only real knock on him is size. His ability to kick on either side is as good as anyone in the draft, and he's also got very impressive acceleration. If we want a genuine rover then he'd be close to topping the list.

Is he a goalkicker? That would be ideal. Cheers.

Because this is, I believe, such a big need, I'd be happy to go 2 of these, how does this sound?:

11: Lewis Taylor (classy rover) [28 (Hampson, ruck/fwd)] 40 (Hopefully as compo, Kennedy-Harris) 46 ( tall mid/ KPP) 64 (speculator ruck /KPP)

tigersnake said:
Because this is, I believe, such a big need, I'd be happy to go 2 of these, how does this sound?:

11: Lewis Taylor (classy rover) [28 (Hampson, ruck/fwd)] 40 (Hopefully as compo, Kennedy-Harris) 46 ( tall mid/ KPP) 64 (speculator ruck /KPP)

That's pretty much how I see it, although I'd probably grab Tsitas if available and hope that Thorp is available with a junk selection.

In saying that, I'd be happy with any one of Lennon, Freeman, Salem or Taylor at pick 11. I think we'll get the opportunity to grab at least one of these.

bullus_hit said:
That's pretty much how I see it, although I'd probably grab Tsitas if available and hope that Thorp is available with a junk selection.

In saying that, I'd be happy with any one of Lennon, Freeman, Salem or Taylor at pick 11. I think we'll get the opportunity to grab at least one of these.

Sounds good bullus, I'd really like us to zero in on 2 classy rovers, as the hypothetical scenario above suggests, hope we do, and a couple more as rookies. What do you think of Impey and Wilson?

bullus_hit said:
Did a quick search on him n seems a highly promising kid, not bad when you're being compared to Boomer or J.Selwood in various ways. Bit disconcerting to read he's already had to have the metatarsal pinned. They claim it won't affect him long term, but the feet cop an enormous pounding on the modern concrete grounds and he's only a sparrow weight at the moment.

tigersnake said:
What do you think of Impey and Wilson?

I like both and would be happy to punt on either in the event Kennedy-Harris is off the board. They both have tricks up their sleeve and pace is definitely part of their weaponry. Seeing the impact that guys like Walters, Garlett & Betts have had, we would be well advised to roll the dice on a similar type. Granted, both have a tendency to run hot and cold, but if we're expecting the likes of Hampson to make a contest, you really need some cunning around the spillages. I still haven't seen the full data from the combine so I'm still unsure who represents the best option, but Impey appears to be the most dangerous when the ball hits the deck. Wilson is great at burning off opposition and breaking lines, he's also very threatening when kicking on the run. Ultimately, I'd probably grab the guy with the biggest tank, hopefully AFL.com will put up the figures pretty soon.

bullus_hit said:
I like both and would be happy to punt on either in the event Kennedy-Harris is off the board. They both have tricks up their sleeve and pace is definitely part of their weaponry. Seeing the impact that guys like Walters, Garlett & Betts have had, we would be well advised to roll the dice on a similar type. Granted, both have a tendency to run hot and cold, but if we're expecting the likes of Hampson to make a contest, you really need some cunning around the spillages. I still haven't seen the full data from the combine so I'm still unsure who represents the best option, but Impey appears to be the most dangerous when the ball hits the deck. Wilson is great at burning off opposition and breaking lines, he's also very threatening when kicking on the run. Ultimately, I'd probably grab the guy with the biggest tank, hopefully AFL.com will put up the figures pretty soon.

nice. These types of players even when considered successful do tend to run hot and cold a bit as a general rule, Walters is the exception, great year from him, even Cyril runs hot and cold, but his hot is so hot it makes up for it.

tigersnake said:
nice. These types of players do tend to run hot and cold a bit as a general rule, Walters is the exception, great year from him, even Cyril runs hot and cold, but his hot is so hot it makes up for it.

Sacrilege!! Cyril is "SPECIAL" don't you know.

TigerMasochist said:
Did a quick search on him n seems a highly promising kid, not bad when you're being compared to Boomer or J.Selwood in various ways. Bit disconcerting to read he's already had to have the metatarsal pinned. They claim it won't affect him long term, but the feet cop an enormous pounding on the modern concrete grounds and he's only a sparrow weight at the moment.

I wouldn't be too concerned about his weight TM, class will always shine in the end. Kelly & Aish aren't heavyweights either but will go 2 & 3 in the draft. In fact Aish has been playing seniors since the age of 16 and has been dominating in a winning team, he's one guy well equipped for the onslaught of taggers he'll receive.

If we really want the most physical guy in the pool, it would have to be Freeman, he's built like a tank and is truly explosive. The fact that he's already got a very impressive endurance base means there shouldn't be any Dustin Martin-like half-time fade-outs. To be honest, I'm thinking his impressive combine results will put us out of the running.

This Is Anfield said:
Sacrilege!! Cyril is "SPECIAL" don't you know.
Cyroli is beyond special, he's delicious.
Definitely something we lack is the small explosive type that can do stuff all for three n a half quarters but open a game up in ten minutes no matter how hard the opposition try to sit on him.