Cleary taking Punt (HeraldSun) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cleary taking Punt (HeraldSun)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Cleary taking Punt
31 May 2003 Herald Sun
By REBECCA WILLIAMS

COBURG great Phil Cleary wants VFL football at Punt Rd, an Anzac Day fixture and Raelene Boyle as a patron if he is elected as club president.

The former federal politician will nominate for the Coburg presidency at the club's extraordinary general meeting on June 10.

Cleary was approached to return to the helm at Coburg after the struggling club failed to find anyone to fill the vacant president's position.

Electrical Trades Union chief Dean Mighell will run as Cleary's vice-president.

Cleary, who has taken on an interim role with the club until the meeting, said he felt drawn to help Coburg get back on its feet.

"I didn't have a real desire to go back, I was happy to just follow the fortunes of the club," Cleary said.

"But I am concerned about a lot of things (at Coburg) and it just opened up. I've had some really productive discussions with (Richmond football director) Greg Miller and I think we all understand that the identity of a VFL club is critical to its success.

"Coburg has to serve the Coburg community whilst, at the same time, facilitating the progress of Richmond's players.

"We've got issues there to address and I'll address them."

Among Cleary's plans for Coburg are to forge stronger links with the community, establish a social agenda and to tap into the Richmond supporter base.

He also said he wanted an Anzac Day match at Coburg next year and was eager to take football back to Punt Rd.

"I'd like to take a game back to Punt Rd and invite all the Richmond supporters back to Punt Rd to watch Coburg playing with some of their players," Cleary said.

Cleary is also seeking a group of high-profile patrons for the club.

"I've written to Raelene Boyle asking her to be a patron, she's a Coburg girl," he said.

Coburg, which is sitting at the bottom of the VFL ladder with just one win, faces the in-form Williamstown at Point Gellibrand Oval tomorrow.

Cleary said he was concerned about Coburg's on-field efforts, but gave his full support to coach Paul Spargo.

"I've spoken to Paul Spargo and he's had an interrupted year with injuries at the top end in the AFL plus that instability off the field," he said.

"I'm not happy about how we're going, but it's not to be attributed to him, he's had a tough gig ... he's a good man for the job.

"But we want to be a great side ... my mission is to make the club a power and we've got to improve."

In other games this weekend, the top-placed Box Hill Hawks will aim to continue their unbeaten stretch against fifth-placed Springvale.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
interesting to see what aproach eh adopts, but certainly agree that it would be good to see games at Punt Road again.

Having said that I do appreciate the history of Coburg, but the direction of the AFL is filtering down the line and we have to move with he changes.

I agree that that is a very difficult option for some VFL clubs, but what are the options these days.

Coburg did very well last year so what is the problem this year. we didn't lose too many players did we.

I don't mean that to be seen as critical, it is just hard to make informed judgements when you live overseas

go Coburg

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Gus, the drop in form for Coburg was discussed a bit on an earlier thread.

http://puntroadend.netfirms.com/yabbse/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=705

I haven't watched them this year, but one thing that would have to affect them is the lack of Richmond players that have been playing for Coburg.

Also Paul Hudson would be greatly missed there too, for his experience and leadership as much as for his on ground ability.

When the Tiges have 24-26 fit players to select the senior team from it doesn't leave a lot over for Coburg.