Coburg vs Bendigo Bombers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coburg vs Bendigo Bombers

baktiger

Tex Walker....
Dec 17, 2002
Coburg, Melbourne
Teams:

Coburg:
B: Kellaway Moore Raines
HB: Talbot Zantuck Steinfort
C: Pettifer Dragicevic Gilmour
HF: Blumfield Morrison Carlson
F: Foley Rogers Rodan
R: O'Connor Marsh Tuck
Inter: Darby Rayson Isailovic Pagan
Kuret Jorgenson Young McDonald

Bendigo:
B: Wilson Henneman Campbell
HB: Hunt Watson Winderlich
C: Nash Dyson Walsh
HF: Doering Richards Stanton
F: Moorcroft Bradley Lovett
R: Laycock Alvey Carter
Inter: Summers Davies Cosgriff
Rosa Bowen Robins Hawkins Cartledge

(Is that Moorcroft the one I think it was?)

Must be Baktiger.Jeeze the bumbers have a good magoos side.1/2 a dozen of those guys would play for our 1sts

Go Gilmour

Coburg lost.

Well, we lost  :-[

Coburg: 2-3, 5-4, 10-8, 15-10-100
Bummers: 6-0, 11-6, 13-11*, 17-17-119

Goals: Zantuck 5, Pettifer 4, Kuret 2, Blumfield 2,
Rodan 1, Pagan 1 #.

(*) That's what the scoreboard said, it might have been 14-13
(#) Some reports say it was Foley - but it was Pagan!

Hey I was there I was in the canteen by the social club-wonder if I sold any of you a pie or hotdog?

From Football Vic
Coburg Tigers 2.3 5.4 10.8 15.10 (100)
Bendigo Bombers 6.0 11.6 14.13 17.17 (119)

Coburg Tigers
Goals: Zantuck 5, Pettifer 4, Kuret 2, Blumfield 2, Rodan, Foley
Best: Pettifer, Blumfield, Zantuck, Rogers, Jorgenson, Pagan

Bendigo Bombers
Goals: Bradley 4, Lovett 3, Watson 2, Hawkins 2, Nash 2, Richards, Moorcroft, Coster, Winderlich
Best: Alvey, Watson, Doering, Winderlich, Coster, Bradley

I went to the game today and was very disappointed noone really forced their senior selection.  The team were around 40 points down for a lot of the day I think.

Highlights to me were meeting up with friends I haven't seen since we were evicted from the red seats.  I talked most of the game so my following observations may not be 100% accurate.  The other one was seeing a PRE t-shirt. ;)

I wasn't overly impressed with Pettifer, especially as a senior audition.  He flew for spekkys and even injured a team mate once.  I think he'd be nuisance value if he tried that in the seniors. One of his goals was a down the ground free.  He looks a bit unfit to me. A lot of people want him to play midfield for Richmond but I can't see it.  Spent a fair bit of time with his hands on his knees catching his breath.  He needs to learn to get on with things when he stuffs up, rather than punching himself and punching the ground etc.

I would have thought Marsh would be better when we have our other ruckmen under injury clouds.  He looked to struggle picking the ball up from the ground.  He gave away a silly free swinging a player around when he didn't have the ball.

Blumfield...guess he's making his way back slowly.

Rogo was ok but a bit unfit as would be expected.

Dunc was better in the 3rd quarter when tagging Moorcroft I think.

To be honest I didn't notice Ty that much other than his goals.

Raines did some good things, but like our other kids he is very small.

Dragga was the one who impressed me most and I'm surprised Pettifer got best player and Dragga not mentioned. He provided some good run through the centre.

I disagree with others that Moore is ready for seniors yet.  He's good but I think he needs time.

People call for Tuck to be selected but he was dragged.  Well beaten by whoever #41 was and he spent most of the last 1/4 on the bench.

Rodan likes to run.....fullstop.  It's not always the best option and his need to dispose of it quickly puts team mates under pressure.

Not a whole lot of positives from where i was sitting. Overall it was a poor game, and 19 points flattered us.

Duncan - played basically a full game, but really gave the team nothing.

Rogers - did ok, but surely he has no future within the senior lineup. Wastes the ball, and has lost all speed.

Pettifer - started down back and was reasonable, before going forward and giving a real spark. Took a big grab, almost held another, presented well. Whether this can translate to AFL who knows, but would surely be under consideration this week.

Blumfield - simply looks too slow. Kicked a couple of goals, but other than that was very quiet.

Marsh - did pretty well in the ruck, his tap work is pretty good but he is a worry around the ground. Will come in if Staff or Ottens miss.

Morrison - started up forward, couldnt hold a mark, then when back and was given a lesson by Kepler Bradley, fortunately for Morrison, Bradley couldnt kick straight.

Rodan - very quiet other than a few of his trademark get it, take off at a million miles, bounce within three steps, kick without looking and turning it over.

Tuck - was solid without starring, played on a wing and across half back.

Gilmour - spent alot of time on the bench, and played mainly across half forward. Very early stages for him, will need a few pre seasons in the weights room.

Zantuck - kicked 5, a couple of them were very cheap ones however. Did spend some time in the backline. Played in the middle during the last quarter and did quite well, combining with Marsh. A decision needs to made about him, forward or back??

Raines - started on the bench but came on and was pretty lively, has good pace, solid skills and looked quite promising.

Moore - started at full back and did well, then moved to CHF and provided a target, taking a few good grabs. Very likely prospect.

Foley - impressed by this kid too. Works hard, and for some reason just looks like a footballer. Hard at the ball, and good in traffic. One to watch IMO

Dragicevic - started as a forward pocket, but basically spent the day roaming through the midfield. Did pretty well, got alot of the ball, ran the lines and used the footy pretty well. His decision making was generally very good.

On a side note, Jorgenson, assuming he was wearing 42 looks like a very good player, dont be suprised if he pops up on an AFL list next year, hopefully ours.

Would have to say that Dragga was only player who played decent footy for the full game.

Pettifer had a better 2nd half - he actually held his marks and kicked straight. In the 1st half he kept dropping marks and couldnt hit a Coburg player with his kicks.

Ditto for Blumfield.

Morrison was as above for the WHOLE game. Cant figure out why he was left on the ground most of the game - probably cos of his height, not a lot of other talls in the side.

Rodan had some flashy play on a few occasions. (too few)

Tuck couldnt do what he was asked, so got dragged several times. ( I know this cos the communication system kept breaking down, so the runners were standing next to the fence and messages were being shouted to them from the balcony of the coaches box)

Zantuck probably didnt get a lot of opportunities in the 1st half as the delivery to the forward line was just dreadful, but got a lot of the footy when he roamed around the ground and kicked most of his goals in the 2nd half.

Raines, Foley and Gilmore didnt get on until towards half-time, but did OK. Quite a few messages were going out to Raines and Gilmore - looks like they still have a lot to learn about the game before they are ready for senior level.

Moore - I like the way he is prepared to run and tackle his opponents, looked a lot more enthused than most of his team-mates.

Dunc - serviceable, but nothing outstanding.

Rogers - Got a lot of possessions, but his kicking was atrocious.

Marsh - Rucked OK, but I hope that Stafford or Otto can play next week because he is pretty ordinary around the ground and SLOW.

A couple of posters mentioned Jorgenson #42 playing a good game, however, he turned the ball over twice in the Bombers forward line resulting in goals.

I thought Kuret was probably best of the Coburg boys.

Anyhow, to sum up Coburg lost because they couldnt mark the ball or hit a target with it, and the Bombers kept running off their opponents and taking easy marks and converting goals.

Kuret never stops giving does he? I was really impressed with him. He's got a lot of go in his small body.

The runners were flat out on and off all day and the interchange was used heaps which I like to see when kids are there to learn to play at an elite level. It can be a good coaching tool.

I am not too sure if there is any positives in playing guys like O'Connor, Pagan, Steinfort etc when young guys on our list like Raines & Gilmore are sitting on the pine. No 28 for Coburg I think his name is Young - very tall but we did not see much of him with Marsh & O'Connor doing most of the Ruckwork.
Is it more important for Richmond to develop young guys on their list and also to see if any young Coburg player can play like a Jorgansen or try and win games for Coburg and playing the Pagan's etc- hard one but I rather watch the young guys

Dragga & Kuret easily our best.

Pettifer and Zantuck were the only senior players to put their hands up. Rodan was crap, and Morrison not much better.

Didn't see any other PRE gear there :'( You could have at least said hello Rosy ;)

The lady selling the snags said to give them a plug :) So here it is.

By the way, first time I've seen the new kids.

Very impressed with Foley, although he and Gilmour are very small. Moore will be good next year.
Put a number 4 on Raines and you'd swear it was his old man. Moves and kicks like him. Good prospect.

Hartbalme said:
Didn't see any other PRE gear there  :'( You could have at least said hello Rosy  ;)

The lady selling the snags said to give them a plug  :) So here it is.

I smiled as I walked past but you didn't smile back, ha. :'(

To be honest I hummed and haed (sp? ;D) as to whether the PREnder was the same person I saw at Telstra. I couldn't remember though. I didn't take enough notice for next time either. Will be more observant in future.

Was going to say hi to the lady selling snags at one stage but she was busy.  Long time no see. :)

The tigers should look at recruiting Kuret next year. He is a class above most senior players that get a run at Coburg. We will have ample opportunity on our list as the delistings could be endless and Kuret should be drafted with a late pick or in the PSD. Still young enough. Unlike most of our senior players he actually looks like a footballer.

Basically Harold, Rosy is right when she says that yesterday showed how much ahead of us a club like Essendon are i.e. even their reserves are far more polished, professional, systematic and aggressive than we are.

As far as the game went, Essendon’s game plan was far more direct in the first half than ours. I couldn’t believe how many shitty short passes we kept giving off on a ground that is designed for one style of play and one style of play only i.e. STRAIGHT DOWN THE BLOODY MIDDLE OF THE GROUND !!! Essendon only ever passed off short when their up the ground structure was out of place and they were looking to maintain possession until they got it right. Consequently they got 50 points ahead of us fairly easy. The way Essendon create space for themselves by a lot of unrewarded running - even when they’re being flooded - and then have the composure to hit a target is the antithesis of the way Richmond go about it. I noticed that Kevin Morris was there passing on advice to Banfield and Allessio about how to set up on the ground and how to move the ball on it.

I listened to Banfield at quarter time, then Flood at 3 quarter time. Again, their players appeared far more focused, keen, and aware of everyone’s responsibilities compared with our players. We just looked like we were there to play footy whereas Essendon looked much more methodical and prepared to play to their game plan. Their senior players are more vocal, more keen to encourage the younger players.

Speaking of younger players, Gilmour, Foley and Raines all spent a lot of time on the bench.

I am a bit concerned about Gilmour. I know he is very young, and I know he has had some injuries and that he is going to need some time. But to be honest, having watched him a few times now, I just do not see anything special at this stage. If he is going to be a good player for us, then don’t expect it for at least another 3 years.

Foley. He goes and gets it Harry, but just like he was at the Geelong Falcons, his skill level is poor. Too many floaters under pressure and a lack of penetration in his kicking for my liking. He’s also a touch slow.

Raines. Didn’t get a lot of time, but he looked a lot better than the last few times I’ve seen him. He tries to move the ball long – which is good - and I notice he’s learnt to keep the ball lower off the boot instead of these up and unders which is also good. He has a reasonable ability to find space out wide.

Moore. We are asking a skinny, gangly kid to do a big job at CHB on some bigger CHF’s, but he’s having a dip and could prove worthy. He gets caught out of position a bit, but with more experience and a bit of weight on him, he could be handy. He looks very Dustin Fletcher like and I can’t help but think that he’s one of those typical kids who, under a better coach (e.g. someone like Sheedy) that his development would have been a lot better and quicker. Then again, to be fair to the coaches, his OP has slowed him down a lot . If he stays injury free, the club would be negligent if it didn’t give him a chance in the seniors later on in the year in the prospect of replacing some of the duds that we currently play down back.

Agree with KB.

Seen Kuret in a number of games and his kicking skills are very ordinary.

We'd be better off looking at young Caruso in the VFL reserves.

I was quite impressed with Kuret in the few games I've watched Coburg. He seemed well balanced and had decent awarness and evasiveness. The conditions were wet and windy so that might have disguised his skill deficiencies but none the less he was among the better players. Might have to see him a few more times.

Hey Red-Knob !

What is your opinion on Tuck ?

I'm unsure about him at this stage. He seems a bit limited in terms of pace and skill and seems like a poor version of Martin Pike. His marking ability is quite impressive though.

However he does deserve a go in the firsts as most senior players are getting games by default.