Couple of questions.. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Couple of questions..

onsl

Tiger Cub
Dec 6, 2003
vflfooty.dyndns.org
Hi guys, just wondered if you could give me an idea of the makeup of the Coburg side most weeks in terms of AFL and VFL listed players in the side? A couple of weeks back the Bullants had 17 Carlton players in their side.

Do you think having a Richmond appointed coach significantly affects the makeup of the side?

Also a bloke at the http://www.vflfooty.com site (shameless plug) had a couple of comments:

http://192.168.1.250/modules.php?na...ic&t=385&sid=7c6da90737b70f7113063d30717267e5

regarding some Tigers players, but I dont think there are too many Coburg watchers online to answer him.

Looking forward to the Borough giving Coburg a decent towling down there at Punt Road Oval in Round 13 :)

onsl said:
Hi guys, just wondered if you could give me an idea of the makeup of the Coburg side most weeks in terms of AFL and VFL listed players in the side? A couple of weeks back the Bullants had 17 Carlton players in their side.

I haven't see all the Coburg games this year but it seems like
they use a core of Coburg players -Carlson, Talbot, O'Connor
and a few others, then they fill up with the younger Richmond
blokes and the ones that are out of the seniors for one reason
or another. Sometimes, this looks like the best team is not
playing.

17 is too many in my opinion. I know a fellow whose cousin
plays for the Bullants and he can't get into the senior side -
he reckons it's due to the above (and another reason I wont
mention).

If players aren't given much of an opportinuty, they'll seek out
a standalone club (see North Ballarat - where lots of players
made their decision to play there because they were not
affiliated)

Do you think having a Richmond appointed coach significantly affects the makeup of the side?

I think David Flood has a well stated "mission plan". He has a
difficult juggling act.

I don't think it's the fact that he's a Richmond appointment, so
much as he's working to his stated aims. Last weekend's team
wasn't the best one that could have been out there though.

Also a bloke at the http://www.vflfooty.com site (shameless plug) had a couple of comments:

http://192.168.1.250/modules.php?na...ic&t=385&sid=7c6da90737b70f7113063d30717267e5

regarding some Tigers players, but I dont think there are too many Coburg watchers online to answer him.

Looking forward to the Borough giving Coburg a decent towling down there at Punt Road Oval in Round 13 :)

Every single uninjured richmond player, including rookies, that isn't playing in the firsts should play maximum game time for Coburg. If Coburg don't like this then they can go it alone.

It's a disgrace that players like Foley and Gilmour spend alot of the time on the bench and compromise their development.

Yeah, and its a disgrace that a player like Duncan Kellway can have 2 kicks in Coburg seconds and be promoted to Coburg seniors the following week and a young player gets deprived the opportunity to play at a higher level and could be a possible draft pick !
It also stops the development of the younger players such as Foley and Gilmour who have to make way for players that should be retired only to keep face for the RFC. Why should Foley and Gilmour spend time on the bench for Duncan ?
Earn your stripes I say ! One rule for everyone !

I guess the emphasis is on Coburg being Richmond's reserves and used for Richmond's benefit which would make it hard for Coburg to retain it's own identity.

It's a difficult situation for non Richmond listed players having to step aside but I'd presume every available Richmond player would have priority.

It must be hard for the coach too if he has players he'd like to settle into the Coburg team. Bringing players back from injury or playing kids not quite ready means that Coburg wouldn't always have the best possible team selected.

Richmond wouldn't have entered into the agreement if it wasn't to the teams advantage though.

Who selects the Coburg team? Are they told which Richmond players have to get a run and then left to fill the spots?