Compromised Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Compromised Draft

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Im totally with Clarkson on this.
The Draft was introduced to even out the spread of talent through the competition.
In the last couple of years the draft has been heavily compromised.
The Academy selections are destroying the basic fundamentals in drafting.
Eddie even said the academy selection of Quannoyor wasnt right.
So if it isn't right why they continuing to do it??
Apparently in this draft There are
already 10 kids set to go as academy selections.
What is the AFL doing?
I want it to go back to the good old days of having an even shot at selecting a quality kid.

Reactions: 5 users
The Quaynor selection still boils my *smile*. It goes completely against the spirit of the academies. So *smile* what if his father was born in Ghana? Isaac was born in Australia and grew up in Australia playing footy at Beverly Hills JFC in East Doncaster. Pretty much the same as any of his junior footy team mates. From a footy perspective he experienced no disadvantage.

It's a joke that the scum was able to draft him under the academy rules.

Reactions: 3 users
The Quaynor selection still boils my *smile*. It goes completely against the spirit of the academies. So *smile* what if his father was born in Ghana? Isaac was born in Australia and grew up in Australia playing footy at Beverly Hills JFC in East Doncaster. Pretty much the same as any of his junior footy team mates. From a footy perspective he experienced no disadvantage.

Spot on. The principle is to launch young kids who experience less opportunity than those that grew up in major capitals. Our country is so multicultural now, with multiple generations being AUstralian born. There's miles between a kid like Mabs who grew up in the rigours of South Sedan and a kid who is born and raised in Doncaster.

Im all for ditching everything but the father-son selections - I like the notion of that remaining in place.

Reactions: 5 users
A couple of tweaks to the system will fix most of the issues.

1. no more junk picks being used to draft F and S and academy picks, you must use a pick in the same round as the bid.

eg North bids their pick 21 for Rioli we must use our second round pick and if needed the second round pick from next season.

No More trading for 4 picks in the 40's and 50's to make up the points.

2. no discount for the either of the picks.

This will force clubs to pay a fair price if the player is worth it.

Reactions: 1 user

Yep that's a total joke.

*smile* off the academy selections
And bring down the F/S's to 50 games
The academy selections are some of the biggest p!sstakes going around. I've had enough of the Sydney and Queensland teams seemingly always having access to a top 10 pick by virtue of that player having been born in that state. The zoning selections they introduced recently have just taken the situation even further.

The academy selections are some of the biggest p!sstakes going around. I've had enough of the Sydney and Queensland teams seemingly always having access to a top 10 pick by virtue of that player having been born in that state. The zoning selections they introduced recently have just taken the situation even further.

Biggest rort in the game since the brown paper bags

Even the concept of club-run academies is a joke. Why leave it to clubs to develop a zone that's nowhere near their HQ? This opens the potential for some regions to be "developed" by an incompetent individual or a cash-strapped club.

Game development should be centralised. The AFL should take responsibility. It should be engaging with local leagues and communities directly rather than passing the buck to the clubs.

Im totally with Clarkson on this.
I want it to go back to the good old days of having an even shot at selecting a quality kid.
Clarkson wants back in to a quality team. I say GGF Clarkson. Suck on it.
The good old days when we were a failure of a football team?
We were apparently the most effected club with compromised drafts as the AFL expanded. I say hold fire for a few more years then worry about equality. Well at least until we get Maurice Jnr.

Last edited:
But why should some of your ex players fathering sons who become good footballers give you a massive advantage?

Geelong became one of the great sides of all times largely due to father-son selections.

There will never be an uncompromised draft while it is in place.
Personally, I like the romantic aspect of it - understand that clubs can get lucky, but I'd suggest it is more random than the zoning/academy selections that have been brought in. For every Ablett and Hawkins there is a Tom Roach or David Bourke.

Reactions: 2 users
F/S happens once every few yrs the Academy's are a seperate pool Clubs get each yr. with Syd likely finishing down the bottom they'll get a free hit in the Draft plus a seperate pool to have tucked away until a bid arrives. That is what *smile* me to tears. We may as well just go back to zoning.....

Was it Clarkson who was sooking up about the "compromised draft" last week. How "it's difficult when a club is rebuilding". etc. etc.

Welcome to our world mate, we had to do it during a period of the most compromised drafts in the historyof AFL football.

Shut up & get on with it ya bl00dy sooky Plonker

Reactions: 1 users