computer lock ups | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

computer lock ups

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
Since the new board started my computer locks up several times whilst in PRE. I've been running Nortons System Doctor etc but problem still occurs. I know it could be anything other than the new PRE because it sometimes occurs in Yahoo but seeing I live in PRE for most of the day this is where I get the trouble - any comments or help please

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
It doesn't happen to me CM and I don't think anyone else has reported the same problem.
If you think the new board is causing it I suggest you try going back to the old theme and seeing if that stops it.

feisty tige

Tiger Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Dandenong
My computer (Mac) tends to, if I am using Internet Explorer, all of the sudden quit when i try to enter into a thread

I have started using Safari and it doesn't do it as much.

Although I have not had the whole computer lock up, it is strange that this occurs.

Maybe you could try emptying your cache or altering the number of sites the computer remembers in the history areas or something, I think Rosy also said something about new cookies or something!?

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
Thanks for replies, its not PRE as lock ups now occuring outside of internet. I believe now its as feisty mentioned - number of programmes running in background. There is a freeware programme to turn them off somewhere and that should help. Thanx all

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005
Hi CMT

Mrs TC thinks you may have other problems, maybe with Nortons removing things, we have had that.

But she needs to know what operating system you run, XP?

flinders_72

Tiger Cub
Jun 30, 2004
Do you also have another antivirus apart from AVG installed or 'deleted but not uninstalled'? This is guaranteed to cause your comp to stuff up. You'll need to remove one of them in the proper manner - uninstall, not just delete.

mexican_radio

*fix the midfield*
Feb 12, 2005
South of the Border
CMT - if you are still experiencing system "freeze" or "lock ups" then I would suggest:

1. Check that your system isn't overheating. I have seen cases where the power supply cooling fan stopped working and a heat buildup will sometimes cause a system to stop running. Other cooling fans in your case may also have stopped e.g the video card fan. If you feel the outside of your PC case and it is very hot to the touch, you may have a cooling problem.

2. Run scandisk on your hard drive. This may take some time to complete but should detect logical and physical errors (and correct them if you select that option).

3. Do a complete virus scan of your system. Again, this will take some time to complete but is well worth the effort. I use AVG also and find it generally excellent. You need to be connected to the internet for the auto update feature of AVG to work correctly.

4. Check your driver levels. This might be an advanced topic, please reply here if you would like some more advicew with this one.

best of luck, I know that unexplainable lockups can be a horrible problem

oh, just a final thought, have you considered moving up to Windows XP?