Computer not shutting down | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Computer not shutting down

tiggytam

Welcome to Tigerland
May 1, 2003
Melbourne
Anyone got any ideas on why sometimes (happening with more frequency these days) my computer will sometimes refuse to shut down and I actually have to turn it off manually. Then when I start it up again it says that there was an illegal shutdown (obviously because I turned it off manually).

tiggytam

Welcome to Tigerland
May 1, 2003
Melbourne
Thanks for replying Smoo.

I am running Windows ME. I think I need to upgrade to XP, I have also had trouble doing routine maintenance ie defragging and running scandisc. Personally I think my computer is stuffed.

smoo

The Tiger Roars Again!
Sep 8, 2003
Melbourne
www.techspeak.biz
Hey Tiggytam. Xp is good, I have run it for about 15 months now. Just a couple of suggestions: Microsoft recommend a minimum of 128 Mb of RAM, I run 256, but friends of mine reckon 512 is spot on.....Be careful with antivirus software as some older a/virus programs conflict a little with XP, and if you are on a dial-up connection, make sure you have a modem that is XP compliant. I don't, and often find I have to reboot so the Operating System will recognise the modem is actually there. Also, if you go XP, make sure you get a legit copy - unless you know someone technically savvy, any upgrades you download from Microsoft will wreak havoc with your PC. I would personally recommend finding a friend or rellie who is tech savvy, saving all th docs/emails etc that you need, formatting your hard drive and starting from scratch. Sounds scary, but ME & 2000 are pretty stable, no need to spend the money on XP unless you really want it. Most times I have found that glitches on your PC happen when you install games and 3rd party software. If you reformat, partition your Hard Drive so any games or 3rd party software can go in a different area to your Operating Systems. If you have any questions, feel free to post a message on the board. Cheers, Smoo.

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Tiggytam, the only effective way of doing a defrag is by booting up in safe mode. Sounds like there are some dodgy inits not shutting down properly. Will the system shutdown properly if you are in safe mode??

tiggytam

Welcome to Tigerland
May 1, 2003
Melbourne
I tried to do that once in safe mode Tiga, but my computer through a hissy fit ??? oops sorry that might have been me :-[

Might have another go at doing that.

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Tiggytam, if your computer is having hissy fits in safe mode ther is something seriously wrong. I suggest format and reinstallation or as others have recommended, get XP. I had ME and went to XP and have not had a problem since.