Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Daily Mail reporting that Australian Government is preparing the case to deport Novax. It is the Daily Mail of course

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ralia-government-prepares-case-chuck-out.html

It'll be an interesting outcome. They won't let him off scott-free IMO but I don't think he will be deported. Something like a $25k fine is what I'm expecting and Novax should jump at that. The alternative is he heads back to Serbia with a 3 year exclusion order. They'll balance the International image of Australia against the need to put in a hefty fine to deter others from similar breaches.

vinpaul

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 26, 2009
There is an enormous amount to be gained in reduced cost of the health system by addressing these things but I am not sure raising them in a pandemic would have made a difference.
I think the fact that obese people suffer worse outcomes from Covid infection means that the two are linked and should be addressed. People can’t change their age but most can impact their weight through lifestyle choices.

Not saying that it’s all we should be doing but it should form part of our response if this is in fact about following the science and health outcomes.

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
There are an enormous number of drugs for the treatment of COVID-19 under clinical trial here atm. Approved use requires TGA approval and that requires the drug companies to apply for it, requiring significant amounts of data on efficacy and safety.

Drug companies will always target the biggest markets first which is why they are inevitably approved in USA and Europe before us.
This is the game changer. There were reports in Oct that they had 80% success rates on covid positive patients. It shouldn't take this long.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I would think that now would be the one time when the message has a better chance of getting through if the benefits are clearly articulated and linked with o Covid outcomes.

I would say that not having as part of the Covid response is nonsensical. It doesn’t mean you don’t do other things such as develop effective vaccines, treatment drugs etc.

There is something about an obese person eating junk sitting at a computer and complaining about people not wearing masks or getting vaccinated because of the potential impact on the healthcare system that’s ridiculous.

It's an opinion. My opinion is Scott Morrison or the CHO of the state saying lose weight is good and especially right now would have the cut-through of a limp lettuce leaf. No problem with them doing it but the number of people who change their long-term of behaviour on this will be close to zero.

Obesity is a long term issue. Coronavirus is an immediate issue. People with co-morbidities - many of which are not due to lifestyle choices - absolutely have the right to ask people to wear masks or get vaccinated. Respiratory diseases, heart disease, mental illness, auto-immune diseases, cancer etc all make people more vulnerable to covid and many are not due to "choice".

And all these people with these conditions are missing appointments/surgery/treatments because f'wits won't get vaccinated. *smile* 'em.

Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
RAT's freely available in pharmacies is Sydney - why are there none here in Vic?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
This is the game changer. There were reports in Oct that they had 80% success rates on covid positive patients. It shouldn't take this long.
The TGA is approving drugs far quicker than they used to pre COVID but they can't approve something that hasn't been applied for by the manufacturer. If you recall back when vaccines were just appearing there was pressure on the drug companies to get their data in to get TGA approval.
There are already lots of treatments being used in Hospitals and lots in trial and that is one of the reasons death rates have reduced even before Omicron came along. Treatments are getting better all the time and will continue to as will the vaccines get better.
None of that is a silver bullet now however and it needs to be remembered that to be treated with new drugs for COVID most probably means that person is in hospital taking up a hospital bed.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
RAT's freely available in pharmacies is Sydney - why are there none here in Vic?
Ask SCOMO. The Feds are responsible for distribution to GPs and pharmacies. The State Governments are responsible for getting stocks into the hospital system and that seems to be holding up at the moment although the levels of stock is not terribly high.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
It's an opinion. My opinion is Scott Morrison or the CHO of the state saying lose weight is good and especially right now would have the cut-through of a limp lettuce leaf. No problem with them doing it but the number of people who change their long-term of behaviour on this will be close to zero.

Obesity is a long term issue. Coronavirus is an immediate issue. People with co-morbidities - many of which are not due to lifestyle choices - absolutely have the right to ask people to wear masks or get vaccinated. Respiratory diseases, heart disease, mental illness, auto-immune diseases, cancer etc all make people more vulnerable to covid and many are not due to "choice".

And all these people with these conditions are missing appointments/surgery/treatments because f'wits won't get vaccinated. *smile* 'em.

It would probably be useful for a study to show what co-morbidities seem to be present in those that die of Covid. If the % of people dying with co-morbidities have obesity as 1 of their co-morbidities then maybe it may have an impact in pushing more people towards a more healthy lifestyle.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The TGA is approving drugs far quicker than they used to pre COVID but they can't approve something that hasn't been applied for by the manufacturer. If you recall back when vaccines were just appearing there was pressure on the drug companies to get their data in to get TGA approval.
There are already lots of treatments being used in Hospitals and lots in trial and that is one of the reasons death rates have reduced even before Omicron came along. Treatments are getting better all the time and will continue to as will the vaccines get better.
None of that is a silver bullet now however and it needs to be remembered that to be treated with new drugs for COVID most probably means that person is in hospital taking up a hospital bed.

Drug manufacture is complex - if we are talking about Pfizer's Covid treatment pills then it takes months to scale up for global distribution.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Drug manufacture is complex - if we are talking about Pfizer's Covid treatment pills then it takes months to scale up for global distribution.
yes it is. My comments are more generic about the number of COVID treatments that are being trialled all over the world. For there to be general use there needs to be TGA approval, which requires an application and then as you rightly say there has to be a distribution chain.
Medicare also needs to register the drugs under the PBS which always takes time

meownotroar

Tiger Cub
Nov 6, 2009
Game changer maybe, more likely a step in the right direction. I am a bit sceptical about results posted in drug company sponsored studies. I think they bias the study objectives to help give the answer they want. I generally like to see a few independent studies with results that support the drug companies initial claims.

Merck's Molnupiravir was initially touted as a "game changer" by the company but full clinical trial data showed lower than expected efficacy.
Gilead's Remdesivir was similarly touted in the early days of the pandemic but has subsequentialy been show to be much less a "game changer" than an expensive treatment that may have some efficacy.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It’s not an infectious disease but could probably argue it’s contagious.

More importantly Does it take up a significant amount of money and healthcare resources and contribute to a strain on the healthcare system ?

As do many things, but right now it's unvaccinated people contracting COVID that is putting our healthcare system at risk. Something that can be easily solved if people get vaccinated. Really, that should be the only message that people are focused on right now.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Game changer maybe, more likely a step in the right direction. I am a bit sceptical about results posted in drug company sponsored studies. I think they bias the study objectives to help give the answer they want. I generally like to see a few independent studies with results that support the drug companies initial claims.

Merck's Molnupiravir was initially touted as a "game changer" by the company but full clinical trial data showed lower than expected efficacy.
Gilead's Remdesivir was similarly touted in the early days of the pandemic but has subsequentialy been show to be much less a "game changer" than an expensive treatment that may have some efficacy.
We need some more de-wormers and maybe a bottle of White King to be trialled.

Reactions: 1 users

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
Queensland Borders re opening up on Saturday No Passes needed No RAP tests needed

meownotroar

Tiger Cub
Nov 6, 2009
yes it is. My comments are more generic about the number of COVID treatments that are being trialled all over the world. For there to be general use there needs to be TGA approval, which requires an application and then as you rightly say there has to be a distribution chain.
Medicare also needs to register the drugs under the PBS which always takes time
TGA approval does not necessarily mean the drugs are listed on the PBS. PBS listing is separate again.

vinpaul

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 26, 2009

Politicians saying it once won’t have an effect, politicians putting policies in place such as personal training subsidies, gym membership subsidies, continuous media campaigns etc may have some effect. Even a small percentage of people making positive changes would have a big effect and add years to their lives.

Btw l think it’s pretty well known that diet and lifestyle choices have a significant impact on the co-morbidities you mention eg. obesity and heart disease etc.