Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

yeah, keep an open mind. I have no doubt the CCP is capable of doing something like this but a natural origin is also possible. The genomic studies of the virus seem contested right now.

Reactions: 1 user
Started reading her wikipedia bio. Other than being based in Hong Kong when this all started, the bio is littered with Fox News interviews & Fox News comments. I think it's best until her reports have gone through the peer review stage before taking onboard her take on things. Especially as HKU, where she worked, dispute that she ever worked on some of the things she says she worked on.

All fair. Not saying I believe it yet, just haven't discounted the possibility. Posted for general consumption.

Whilst Dr. Yan's story may be quite believable it's also somewhat irrelevant in that the CCP will simply produce evidence (real or created) to discredit her and if we think that the WHO will ever actually produce anything 100% conclusive from their investigations then we're kidding ourselves.

For first time in a long while I looked at global stats - on Age site - from their numbers new cases 7 day centred average have been flat lining around 250,000 per day since late July - nearly 2 months. All the headlines I have seen in news articles was that the Victoria was going to hell in a handbasket, US was out of control, India has exploded and Europe is worse now than it was in wave 1.

So are headlines wrong or Age data BS or some joints are winning South America? (at least for now)?

Chinese defector virologist Dr Li-Meng Yan publishes report claiming COVID-19 was made in a lab

Doctor Li-Meng Yan, a scientist who studied some of the available data on COVID-19 has published her claims on Zenodo, an open access digital platform. She wrote that she believed COVID-19 could have been “conveniently created” within a lab setting over a period of just six months, and “SARS-CoV-2 shows biological characteristics that are inconsistent with a naturally occurring, zoonotic virus”.

Early reports of the origin of the coronavirus, or “spillover event”, were that the virus jumped from animal to human within a wet market in the Chinese city of Wuhan sometime in late 2019.

“The natural origin theory, although widely accepted, lacks substantial support,” Dr Yan writes in the report.

“The alternative theory that the virus may have come from a research laboratory is, however, strictly censored on peer-reviewed scientific journals. Nonetheless, SARS-CoV-2 shows biological characteristics that are inconsistent with a naturally occurring, zoonotic virus.”

Dr Yan’s paper, co-authored by three other doctors, is titled: ‘Unusual Features of the SARS-CoV-2 Genome Suggesting Sophisticated Laboratory Modification Rather Than Natural Evolution and Delineation of Its Probable Synthetic Route’.

Dr Yan claimed her and her team's scientific findings were suppressed, and they were told only to report cases linked to the Huanan seafood market. After becoming fearful of her safety, she fled China on a flight bound for Los Angeles in late April.

Other scientists have disputed Dr Yan’s claim, including a report from Live Science in March, which definitively claimed “SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus”.

Dr Yan’s newly published report echoes claims she made in a recent TV interview, when she appeared on the British talk show Loose Women.

During the interview, she said the coronavirus “comes from the lab — the lab in Wuhan and the lab is controlled by China’s government”.

She also said widespread reports that the virus originated last year from a wet market in Wuhan are “a smoke screen”.

Holy bananas, what a pile of nonsense.

My most hated thing in the planet is when people use scientific language and a perceived position of authority to spew garbage.

Reactions: 1 users
Death numbers will lag, but should hopefully drop in a week or two, life cycle of the virus I figure.

28 is a good number, interestingly, the 5 day centred average doesn't drop much as the day removed (11 Sept) was 35 so 28 isn't much lower. However, it has a bigger impact on the 14 day trailing average.

COVID19 7 day ave 17092020.jpg

Here are the actual numbers:

DateNew Infections7 Day Trailing Ave5 Day Centred Ave14 Day Trailing Ave
12 September 2020​
41​
45.71​
37.20​
61.43​
13 September 2020​
31​
44.71​
37.60​
58.57​
14 September 2020​
39​
43.29​
36.20​
56.86​
15 September 2020​
42​
39.29​
53.64​
16 September 2020​
28​
36.57​
47.79​

14 Day average for the whole of Victoria now clearly under 50, in a few days time we will see the days where the new infections were in the 70s and 60s drop out of that average so, if the numbers stay low, the 14 day trailing average should drop even lower.

DS

Attachments

• COVID19 7 day ave 17092020.jpg
    COVID19 7 day ave 17092020.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 2 users
Reactions: 1 user
China invented paper more than two millennia ago. Would've thought they'd know about hygiene by now.
You'd think so wouldn't you? If the source of this outbreak is as described it probably gives Dr Yang's story more credence. Interesting that Twitter suspends her account but lets multitudes of CCP bots stay on line.

Just thought I would post this, I am not on Book of Face but someone on another forum posted this from there, bit of perspective:

From Someone based in Barcelona;

If you think this might be directed at you, it probably is.

Melbourne can, and has, learnt the lessons the rest of us had to experience first hand. As a result you've locked down hard and for a long time, and viral transmission has been limited, while the healthcare services haven't been over extended.

You've gone from over 700 cases a day to consistently well under a 100.

This is because businesses have been closed, people have been forced to spend more time at home and less time mingling with strangers and because masks are mandatory.

That's a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! success story you absolute numpties.

Anybody protesting about that is rallying in favour of death. Everybody complaining about this online is spreading propaganda in favour of a deadly virus.

Here in Spain we didn't have the same lessons on hand. Italy was just beginning to unfold, China was both secretive and living under a different political system altogether, and the rest of the world was about to feel the effects of the virus.

But shall I remind you of what happened in Spain?

This is an illustration of what transpires when you implement and state of alarm, shut down businesses and enforce social distancing too late:

Two weeks before lockdown we were experiencing around 700 new cases a day.

Once they decided to lockdown on March 14th that number was nearer to 8000.

One week after lockdown that number was 11,000.

Two weeks after that peak we were counting almost 1000 deaths a day.

And that lasted a while. A thousand people a day who could have lived for days, months, years and decades longer, not to mention the countless more who will suffer chronic illness for the rest of their shortened lives due to being infected with the virus.

It wasn’t until the end of April that the daily new infections number was back down to 1,500.

By the end of May, when we were allowed out of the house for an hour to exercise per day the number was around 400.

That last milestone is important, because once we got there we were allowed outside for an hour at sunrise or sunset. From March 14th until May 25th we weren’t allowed outside to exercise.

For 72 days we weren’t allowed outside at all, unless to go to the supermarket or to take a dog outside to do its business, and people were getting fines for going to the supermarket too often/to supermarkets that weren’t the closest to them, or for walking the dog further than 100m from their front door.

It would be another month after that before we were allowed out of Barcelona's city limits.

Now I know that some of you might be saying, but why are Melbourne’s lockdowns so extreme when the cases are so low compared to Spain’s? And for that I have two answers.
Melbourne’s lockdown measures aren’t that extreme. That’s not to say that it hasn’t been too long, nor that it’s easy for you, but it’s not extreme, not compared to what other cities and countries have been and are going through. You can leave your house to exercise and you can travel up to 5kms from your home (and I know that many Melbournians don’t leave their neighbourhoods during healthy times – I kid, I kid).
Also, and this is the most important to understand, but Melbourne and Victoria and Australia’s cases are so low because the lockdowns happened quickly. They appear disproportionately harsh because they’ve been so successful.
This success story is due to the fact that Dan Andrews listened to his expert advisors and his expert advisors learned lessons that the rest of the world had to fight through. When someone sees this kind of success it’s absolute lunacy to then go and doubt them, second guess them, call for their resignation or openly defy them.

Do you want to know what Dan Andrews and his advisors saw in Spain that they don’t want repeated in Victoria?

We’ve now recorded over 500,000 infections.

So far 30,000 people have died.

Too many of the 470,000+ survivors will suffer long term health problems and complications from the virus.

At the peak the city of Madrid converted the municipal ice skating rink into a morgue.

The army had to go through nursing homes to clear out corpses after residents had been left first to die, then to rot.

Spain is again recording new daily infections in the 1000s. We didn’t get the virus out of the community, so once we opened up again it just came back.

Australia has had 26,000 cases.

Less than 800 people have died.

And if lockdowns endure long enough there’s a good chance Victoria can be like West Australia and New Zealand with very few cases in the community and a good chance for life to be back to normal while a vaccine is developed, produced and distributed.

So please, tell us again why you’re complaining about having to live with one of the most successful virus prevention regimes in the world.

Are you coming from a short sighted, selfish, pro virus or pro death perspective? It kinda has to be one of them.

DS

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Ever been to China ? Anywhere where food and/or animals are handled and sold is a big risk in the vast majority of the country
People taking a dump on the platform of the Beijing underground doesn't help either.