Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

How do you come to that conclusion that we should have opened on 6th September?

I assume you are in the position where we shouldn't have got down to this low a level of cases??
Question 1. I only say that easing restrictions should have occurred around the 6th September if there ends up being an influx of the virus from international sources. If universities were to full reopen for example. Currently news around this is somewhat promising. What would have been the point of the last ten weeks if come February thousands and thousands of students come back, with the risk of hundreds of infections that would not be able to be managed effectively?

Question 2. No. However, nobody knows the cost of getting to this low level as opposed to say reopening with a 7 day average of around 40 (approx 13th September). Surely 40 per day would be a manageable load for effective contact tracing by a suitably resourced contact tracing team? Also, nobody knows if the well resourced contact tracing team could have continued to reduce the numbers down, and at what speed. That's why I'm watching Ireland - somewhat similar to Victoria / Australia but certainly not comparable to the UK.

Just read about 4 new cases of community transmission in NZ. Also read that NSW authorities are trying to track down 455 people who have arrived from NZ since November 5th. WTF is going on? Obviously people from NZ can fly into Australia but not quarantine now. Who knows where these people are now. Geez we keep finding ways to *smile* this up. We need to keep the NSW border closed until the end of the year at least.

If we have another lock down caused by transmission from NSW I will dead set SPEW UP!!
Seriously what is Morrison doing?
If the borders get locked down again because of this I'll definitely spew up.
All I want to do is see my folks. If that is put in jeopardy after all this hard work & sacrifice to get our numbers to zero.......

I had a test last week & it only took 7 hours to get the results..how on earth are these travellers not being tested & found to be negative before they get on a plane?
Yeah my 15 year old woke up a bit crook on Friday morning. We took him for a test around 9am and had the negative result back at 8am on Saturday.

No excuse not to be testing people when results come back that quickly.

Reactions: 1 user
Trump holding 4 and 5 rallies every day in the lead up to the election has lead to a massive spike in covid cases, (184,000 new cases yesterday).

Mocking Biden for wearing a mask at those rallies is disgraceful, and would be a key factor in the huge rise in covid numbers.

Daily cases have doubled in 3 weeks, which coincides with those rallies, Trump should be charged with endangering lives.

‘Strange monster’ has city in its grip
Tom Kington
The Times
November 15, 2020
(paywalled)

Maurizio Di Mauro took three weeks to win his personal battle with coronavirus. As he returned to work at his hospital in Naples he was facing a war.

The director of Cotugno hospital, perched on a hill overlooking a stricken city, resumed working this week amid headlines about seriously ill victims being fed oxygen by medics in the car park after beds ran out.

“We found people in their cars with pneumonia,” he told The Times. The Red Cross is setting up a tent with oxygen supplies to handle the patients.

Mr Di Mauro admits that he has no idea how or why the virus can strike hard or not at all, nor how he got it. “It’s a strange monster,” he said. “I don’t understand how some need a ventilator in two hours and others don’t suffer. I have always worn a mask and I have no clue how I got it. Maybe I touched something with the virus on it.”

The hospital director is at the centre of Italy’s second wave of the disease, which has put more than 33,000 people in hospital, more than during the dark months of March and April, and is killing about 600 a day.

The relief felt this northern spring as Italy’s tough ten-week lockdown kept the virus away from the underfunded hospitals in the south has turned to horror as Covid storms through Campania, of which Naples is the capital, with more than 2,000 in hospital and daily cases exceeding 4,000.

The city is not coping. Police were called to the crowded Cardarelli hospital this week when a patient posted a video of a suspected virus victim of 84 slumped dead in a lavatory and claimed that he had been abandoned by staff. The government placed the city and its region of Campania under partial lockdown yesterday (Friday), along with Tuscany, joining the other “red zones”, Lombardy, Calabria, Piedmont and Valle D’Aosta and the province of Bolzano.

“The health service has had since March to get ready for this,” Luigi de Magistris, 53, the mayor of Naples, said. “So dead bodies and queues in cars are unacceptable. Regular operations have been put on hold for the past six weeks and people with broken bones are stuck at home.”

Hospitals in the Lazio region, Campania’s neighbour to the north which includes Rome, reported dozens of Covid-19 sufferers arriving in rented ambulances from Campania this week searching for a bed.

“The news coming out of the hospitals is atrocious,” Chiara Landi, 26, said. “I want to know why we haven’t locked down already.” The trainee magistrate was joining the queue in Naples at a station where 1,100 people are tested a day.

“I know two families who are totally infected as well as my boyfriend’s sister and now my mother, who has fever. I am terrified she ends up in hospital.”

Further along the queue, Maria Domenica Falciglia, 61, said that she was testing because her son, a doctor at Monaldi hospital, was positive. “I am scared of being here,” she said, pointing to others in the line huddled together.

Government advisers along with Mr De Magistris and Vincenzo De Luca, the regional governor, have been calling for a lockdown. Many are asking why it was left so late.

“It’s like an Agatha Christie mystery,” Mr De Magistris said. He suspected that government officials deciding the fate of Naples had been fed overestimates of the number of hospital beds. “Where are these beds?” he asked. “The hospitals are full.”

The mayor blamed Mr De Luca, who has responsibility for local healthcare, and suggested that the false count was given to conceal how little preparation was undertaken for a second wave.

Mr De Luca, who has threatened to break up gatherings with a flame-thrower, has denied negligence and threatened to sue his critics.

As politicians pointed fingers at each other, Luca Liuzzi, 30, a male nurse, was working hard to swab those in line at the testing centre. After losing his grandmother, 86, to Covid-19 in April and watching his brother, who worked alongside him at the centre, become infected, Mr Liuzzi said that he risked contagion every shift. “Everyone is scared,” he said. “But my granny’s death motivates me and I am not giving up.”

• Sad
Free
I had a test last week & it only took 7 hours to get the results..how on earth are these travellers not being tested & found to be negative before they get on a plane?
Depends on who does the testing. Did you get your test done at a major metropolitan public hospital ? Some of them are very fast because they have the correct equipment and don't have to send the test elsewhere.

You trust other countries test procedures?
Depends on the country
One thing that needs to be remembered is that there is still a worldwide shortage of lots of equipment, PPE and consumables around COVID responses and that is also hurting lead times on other medical equipment and consumables all across the globe. Because we are almost an outlier in the world right now our needs are not a priority for the major medical suppliers, they have their hands full with Europe, USA and much of the rest of the world.
If we had another wave we may well struggle again

I can’t see how this doesn’t get back into Victoria eventually. This thing doesn’t go away - it just hides for a while.

Vaccines are the only way this thing stops.

Question 1. I only say that easing restrictions should have occurred around the 6th September if there ends up being an influx of the virus from international sources. If universities were to full reopen for example. Currently news around this is somewhat promising. What would have been the point of the last ten weeks if come February thousands and thousands of students come back, with the risk of hundreds of infections that would not be able to be managed effectively?

Question 2. No. However, nobody knows the cost of getting to this low level as opposed to say reopening with a 7 day average of around 40 (approx 13th September). Surely 40 per day would be a manageable load for effective contact tracing by a suitably resourced contact tracing team? Also, nobody knows if the well resourced contact tracing team could have continued to reduce the numbers down, and at what speed. That's why I'm watching Ireland - somewhat similar to Victoria / Australia but certainly not comparable to the UK.

With regard to Question 2, we will only know the real answer in 2 years. All well and good to look at Ireland, but there is a difference in GDP terms from a partial open economy with low consumer confidence and a close to fully open Domestic economy with medium to high consumer confidence.

Hindsight is the only thing that will show this, Ie. looking at GDP growth rates per year through 2019 to 2022 and cross referencing this with death rates.

At this stage, we ultimately just do what we think is the best scenario. For me, the way we have done it in Victoria may well come out on top but like I say only time will tell, but it won't tell us that in a couple of months.

4 new locally acquired cases of coronavirus in SA today linked to hotel quarantine..
First local cases since April.

Here we go, it didn't take many cases coming out of our hotel quarantine to set it off.

The more I see the less I think hotel quarantine is a good idea.

DS

The article says workers are tested every seven days. That's a lower standard than the AFL.

Meanwhile Victoria is set to host tennis tournaments normally held in six other cities, beginning next month.

[Mr Tiley] said tennis chiefs “had to make a decision to move everything to Melbourne’’ because other states could not guarantee player quarantine arrangements or make a “commitment of open travel between cities’’.

Because we do quarantine so well here...

Watching what is happening in Melbourne closely as I need to visit to see my elderly mum sometime soon .. Was hoping to come over around March , depending on the quarantine situation

Because we do quarantine so well here...
I have said it many times on here Lee that that is a far too simplistic way of looking at it. The Hotel Quarantine program caused just a few infections in itself, the inability to control what happened after those staff/contractors were infected caused the spread of infections that resulted in the 2nd wave.
You can see from what happened in South Australia that it can happen, keeping infection control perfect in a Hotel situation is very very challenging, but what we have hopefully improved is our ability to contact trace, isolate and control the spread as well as managing the environment itself.

Last edited:
17 cases now linked to the Adelaide Hotel Quarantine outbreak..and growing. Not good at all. Just shows how quickly it can spread from a small error.
This outbreak has occurred despite knowing & learning from Victoria’s problems with the HQ strategy many months ago.
Not so easy is it.

Reactions: 1 users
17 cases now linked to the Adelaide Hotel Quarantine outbreak..and growing. Not good at all. Just shows how quickly it can spread from a small error.
This outbreak has occurred despite knowing & learning from Victoria’s problems with the HQ strategy many months ago.
Not so easy is it.

Also shows that that it can spread from Hotel Quarantine even with the army more involved. Gee maybe all those epidemiologists were correct.

Here we go, it didn't take many cases coming out of our hotel quarantine to set it off.

DS

You dont need to be an epidemiologist,
Or even very smart

To see that until we get quarantine out of our CBD's,

We live with Covid.

It seems extraordinarily simple to me;

Off shore, centralised, federal quarantine. Well Paid Staff on a month roster; 2 weeks work, 2 weeks quarantine, 4 weeks off.

Reactions: 5 users
You dont need to be an epidemiologist,
Or even very smart

To see that until we get quarantine out of our CBD's,

We live with Covid.

It seems extraordinarily simple to me;

Off shore, centralised, federal quarantine. Well Paid Staff on a month roster; 2 weeks work, 2 weeks quarantine, 4 weeks off.
Agree with this. Off shore quarantine would be ideal but even somewhere in a regional area would be better than in the middle of a city of millions of people. I get it will take a lot of work set up but we spend $200m on hotel quarantine in Vic and all we have to show for it is 20,000 infections and 800 deaths.

On another note, would it be possible to ensure any returning Australian resident returns a negative test (or two) before they travel? That would help make quarantine less of an issue. Is that feasible? There still seem to be a lot of people returning to Australia Covid positive. Why can't it be a condition of return that they need to test negative before travel?

Reactions: 2 users