Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
It's all hypothetical, but a man in his 50s who has been a heavy smoker for 35 years is under significant risk of developing a critical case of Covid.

He is mildly to moderately ill now and the data shows he would be much worse off in he was unvaccinated. It's certainly not a stretch to say his life could well be under threat had he not have been vaccinated.
What data? Do you have any long term data to base your claim on?

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
I am perpetually bemused, no stunned, by the continued debate regarding covid and vaccination that exists on these boards and in the community.
Let me spell it out.....The vaccinations are wonderfully safe and wonderfully effective.
The virus is a sinister killer of human life.
There is no, absolutely no, arguement not to be vaccinated.
There is absolutely no arguement of any sort to be had.
Be vaccinated and live happily knowing you will not die from covid, or refuse vaccination and live your life forever in doubt that you will suffer covid s effect.
Just stupid to not be vaccinated, just stupid.
But hey, much of the human race is stupid.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Are you anti vaccination? Thought it was pretty clear
It means different things to different people. I’m interesting in knowing exactly what you mean. Personally I don’t think the label antivaxx is useful besides help some people slander others they don’t agree with.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Anyone who is anti vax is a completely unenlightened moron, living in the dark ages.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Anyone who is anti vax is a completely unenlightened moron, living in the dark ages.
Don't forget selfish too as they are relying on the majority of the population to get vaccinated to create herd immunity.

Unfortunately for the anti-vaxers, this time there is no herd immunity and they are going to have to face the real life consequences of their convictions.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
According to the CDC in the USA, 1 in 1 million people get a severe allergic reaction to the polio vaccine.

They also list an extremely rare severe allergic reaction to the MMR vaccine.

Plus, between 14 and 52 people out of every 1 million people getting the smallpox vaccine experience potentially life-threatening reactions.

So, the COVID vaccines, both AZ and Pfizer along with the others we haven't seen yet in Aus, stack up pretty well against the vaccines that we all accepted years ago and most of us have probably already received these vaccines.

It is a simple choice.

You can be gutless, irresponsible, selfish etc and think yourself special enough to not have to have the vaccine (obviously not counting those with medical reasons to not take the vaccine) and let everyone around you take the miniscule risk of vaccinating, or you can be responsible and help protect the whole community by getting the vaccine.

All this talk of individual rights but no talk of the fact that humans live in communities, and that our rights come from our communities and our responsibilities therefore extend to our communities.

DS

Reactions: 7 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Do you really think they are focused on suppressing it? Their rhetoric has been clear, lets vaccinate out of this, and Gladys's presser yesterday gave it away, they are using the outbreak to get themselves ahead of all of the other states by pressuring the government to send them more vaccines so they never have to lockdown again. That was as clear as it comes.
They're going to be locked down - the Sydney way - for months.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
It means different things to different people. I’m interesting in knowing exactly what you mean. Personally I don’t think the label antivaxx is useful besides help some people slander others they don’t agree with.
People opposed to all vaccination in principle.

In this specific case it could be expanded to include people opposed to all COVID vaccines in principle.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I'll see if I can find the same data for the UK too, so we can take both countries risk ratios as a guide.
This is the official UK summary. Scroll to 'Thrombo-embolic events with concurrent low platelets'.

The type of clotting caused by the vaccine is normally quite rare. Various articles have suggested medical personnel are getting better at recognising the symptoms and the fatality rate appears to be declining.

Australian advice: https://www.health.gov.au/sites/def...osis-with-thrombocytopenia-syndrome-tts_0.pdf

Comirnaty (Pfizer) is not associated with a risk of TTS.

Last edited:

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Rather than a $300 handout which will do not much IMO. How about a $300 hospital/front line worker tax that goes to the health care professionals and hospitals that will have to deal with all the sick people that don’t get vaccinated? Actively price the externality not getting vaccinated generates.

it is no different IMO even though it generates very different emotions for people. We just don’t see directly where a handout comes from.

we tax cigarettes which place a burden on healthcare. We also fine people for not wearing masks etc. I see this very similarly.

no political party would ever go for it though so would only every be a theoretical discussion and would generate the whole rich people get to chose not to vaccinate and poor people don’t. And maybe the price should be 2000 or 3000 or even 10000 so there are no kickstarters to pay for vax free.

I’m also for a vax lotto incentive too at same time and maybe using the non vaxxers to pay for this would be even sweeter IMO.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
And maybe the price should be 2000 or 3000 or even 10000 so there are no kickstarters to pay for vax free.

A percentage of income before allowable deductions would help even out rich v poor debate for introducing a medical levy to deal with the COVID strain on our hospitals.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I’m also for a vax lotto incentive too

Vax lotto has always been implicit in the whole concept.

sure, its inverse lotto,

but its lotto nonetheless.

Some of my more cynical days, I think if people are so *smile* dumb that they need a pokies voucher

to be persuaded to take advantage of the privilege of life saving opportunities that a wealthy western democracy affords,

than we're better off as a globe, letting them die.

fortunately I work hard on my cynicism, and the bad days only really come about once a week when Richmond lose.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
When you say opposed do you mean they think no one should be allowed them or is it just a personal choice?

Anti vaccinations is a personal choice. I was wondering if you personally are against vaccinations? Whether that be all or specifically to Covid?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Some brilliant data here on who is slow to take the AZ. I would think Queensland should be pushing hard for a large increase now that they are also in a lockdown.

The one thing that sticks out for me there with that chart, is we are still not getting enough vaccines into the older generations. If we can only get 75% of over 90's to take the vaccine what hope do we have for the rest of the population? Bearing in mind they are most at risk, what are they waiting for or are they spooked by the media outlets. The older generation don't get their news from the internet so are overly influenced by the mainstream media who have jumped at any chance to highlight the dangers of the AZ vaccine, rather than promote its benefits and its low risk impact especially on the older groups.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Rather than a $300 handout which will do not much IMO.
Actually think that sort of bonus might get it done. Migrants might not speak English well but they talk the language of money. Would also appeal to the shiftless.

Reckon you'd capture 98% of the available pool, i.e. non-anti-vaxxers. And maybe even a few of the latter.