Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I like the side India has picked. Jadeja is a senior man and a contibutor in all three disciplines.
Agree, I'm a big fan of Pant.
A handy 50 run partnership between Labushagne and Head. Labushagne is a good leaver, I wish my mother in law would take note.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Reckon Green might be found out a little until he adjusts to this level. He would get away with a lot of LBW shouts in games without DRS because of his reach.
A tough series to make your debut in, India are a quality bowling side.
I like his temperament, be good if he could come in at 4/250, instead of 4 for not many.
A great 1st over from Starc, he's got it on a string.

Reactions: 1 user

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Just got home from the MCG. Smith, Labushagne, Head and Wade threw their wickets away. India were lucky to get Aust out so cheaply, they set good fields but after Ashwin's first spell both him and Jadeja should have bowled a lot more. Green looks... well green, technique looks OK but he struggles to get runs.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The test cricket win-win-win scenario for this punter. Bit gloomy here at the G, but having backed India at $7.80 prematch, I just had some on Australia at $2.56 and the draw at $23 to lock in a guaranteed profit no matter what. That's how you do it!

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Burns should never play for Australia again for reviewing that caught behind, surely he knew he it !!!!

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Now this test is exactly what you love about test cricket - every ball is important. Batsman showing courage, fast bowlers being hostile, spinners using guile, chirp and feeling between batsman and fieldsman. Gripping stuff. This is the arena where real reputations are made.

Wade consolidating his reputation as a street fighter. Big innings required from Smith. Next session massive.

How good is test cricket?!

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Darn. Terrible review by Wade followed by maybe the worst shot of the series from Head.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Australia essentially 6/2 in their second innings and I bought my tickets for day 4, tomorrow......

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Real talk, this batting unit has been brittle for 3-4 years. Costs us time and again. Poor concentration, shot selection, sure, but Wade Head and Burns just aren’t good enough.

Burns will be extinguished.

Head’s shot was terrible. Terrible. Not convinced by him at all.

Wade up the top? In fact, Wade at all in our Test six? Yeah nah. He’s compact and diligent but is he Test level? Really? I don’t see it. Not if we wanna stay at the top of the tree through the Ashes into 2022.

Depth is *smile* to be honest. Should we continue with mediocre plodders who’ll struggle to average 40 at test level?

Might be time to give Harris (a guy who can actually hold an end despite his limitations) and Warner the opening slots in the 3rd test. Reverse the laughable Hail Mary they tried with the opening pair for the first two.

Yeah I know, Harris is a bit *smile*. But we just need someone to survive the new ball at the moment. 40 off 90 odd is fine if Warner gets going.

I would also blood Pucovski (when he’s ready) at five when the ball is softer.

Harris
Warner
Labs
Smith
Pucovski
Green

A solid top four with youth finding experience before the Ashes. This is the long term setup but I concede JL doesn’t coach this way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
Real talk, this batting unit has been brittle for 3-4 years. Costs us time and again. Poor concentration, shot selection, sure, but Wade Head and Burns just aren’t good enough.

Wade up the top? In fact, Wade at all in our Test six? Yeah nah. He’s compact and diligent but is he Test level? Really? I don’t see it. Not if we wanna stay at the top of the tree through the Ashes into 2022.

Depth is *smile* to be honest. Should we continue with mediocre plodders who’ll struggle to average 40 at test level?

Might be time to give Harris (a guy who can actually hold an end despite his limitations) and Warner the opening slots in the 3rd test. Reverse the laughable Hail Mary they tried with the opening pair for the first two.

Yeah I know, Harris is a bit *smile*. But we just need someone to survive the new ball at the moment. 40 off 90 odd is fine if Warner gets going.

Harris
Warner
Labs
Smith
Pucovski
Green

A solid top four with youth finding experience before the Ashes. This is the long term setup but I concede JL doesn’t coach this way.
This !!!!

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk

Harris
Warner
Labs
Smith
Pucovski
Green

No doubt our batting has been propped up by Smith, Warner and Labuschagne recently, and to an extent by the excellence of the bowlers which has meant they haven't had to make too many on occasion.

But let's talk DRS. In general, I am a fan but it needs to be used better, by both the players and the (TV) umpires.
Burns. WTF? He must have known that he hit that. What's his excuse? Desperation?
Wade. He must have known that he DIDN'T hit it, and by his body language it was obvious he reckoned he was out, but his thought process was "if I am gone here we are history". Probably didn't matter in the end.
The Paine decision. What is their procedures? Surely if hot spot and snicko say such opposite things, you go with the on-field umpire? Or is one of the technology elements enough for "conclusive proof" to overturn? Anyone with any knowledge of cricket could see that was not out. The TV umpires are, after all, also on-field umpires and they know the game. I reckon the TV umpires should be given some degree of free reign o use their cricketing instincts and not be so blindly restricted to a specific process.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
They should just remove on field umpires entirely.

Test cricket is such a slow game the upstairs umpires could simply review every ball and get the right decision (close to) 100% of the time.

No referrals, no challenges, just correct decisions.

Also, if they do stick with the referral system (they will), if the ball tracking says the ball is hitting the stumps - at all - it should be out. No umpires call nonsense.

I know there's a margin of error for software, but I don't care. A computer's margin of error must be less than some dude standing 20 metres away.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Also, if they do stick with the referral system (they will), if the ball tracking says the ball is hitting the stumps - at all - it should be out. No umpires call nonsense.

I know there's a margin of error for software, but I don't care. A computer's margin of error must be less than some dude standing 20 metres away.
Agree. If the margin of error is up to half a ball, they shouldn’t be using it. Just go with the technology - if it’s hitting, it’s out.