Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Pucovski looks comfortable out there. Its my first time watching him bat and there's a lot to like.

He was a bit lucky to survive a dropped catch and a near run-out, but he's hanging in there.

Can someone tell Puc that he's allowed to take his helmet off and let go of his bat during the tea break :)

Reactions: 1 user
Pucovski out for 62. I did not see all of his innings but what I did he looks very composed....except for the hook shot. I saw him play it 3 times for a miss, a drop and one that ballooned over square leg.

Strayas batting still so brittle. No Smith/Labuschagne no Straya.

Labuschagne 91, Smith 100 then

Warner (5), Wade (13), Green (0), Paine (1), Cummins (1)

Cummings was a duck, Lyon a duck, a lazy and meek LBW that one.

'Some people like to expose the tail, they also like not outs'. S.K Warne in commentary.

I wonder which former Australian Captain he was talking about? :rotfl2
He just can’t let it go. I wonder what Warnies frequent co-commentator Mark Waugh thinks of Warnie always having a dig at his brother.

I actually took a big positive out of the batting, it’s been either Warner or Smith to make the runs , now we appear to have added 2 top order batsman who are actually world class test players to help Smith over the next few years. Also appears in time will ad Carey to the batting line up , Green “should” only get better in time, if managed correctly , Wade, Burns and Head failures should now give more opportunities to the untried rather then the not quites.

Classic selfish decision from Warner, yes hes our second best batsman at this point , however going forward I’d much rather see a Renshaw or Harris get another go when heading over seas as Warner has proven he’s not much chop outside Australia (34 av)

I actually took a big positive out of the batting, it’s been either Warner or Smith to make the runs , now we appear to have added 2 top order batsman who are actually world class test players to help Smith over the next few years. Also appears in time will ad Carey to the batting line up , Green “should” only get better in time, if managed correctly , Wade, Burns and Head failures should now give more opportunities to the untried rather then the not quites.

Classic selfish decision from Warner, yes hes our second best batsman at this point , however going forward I’d much rather see a Renshaw or Harris get another go when heading over seas as Warner has proven he’s not much chop outside Australia (34 av)
mostly agree with those sentiments.

We still have 2 very good top order batsmen in Labuschagne and Smith. Warner is just a home town bully, you wanna be a big guy on campus stand up against Stokes and Archer etc.

Pucs score of 62 flattered him but I still think hes gunna be a player. And on Carey the jury is still out he’s going to be a very good no. 7test batsman.

If Matt Wade's your number 5 you owe Glenn Maxwell a shot. In Australia. For more than two Tests in a row. Without shifting him from number 6 to open to number 8 to number 3 every second innings.

Reactions: 6 users
Decision overturned on review was just plain rubbish. Insufficient evidence to overturn the umpire’s call. Farce.
It was an interesting one ... litmus test for the system.
By the absolute letter of the law as they are supposed to process DRS decisions, you could argue that he should have let the on-field decision stand as there was no "conclusive" evidence to overturn (although how you conclusively prove that something didn't happen is beyond me).
But I think the TV umpire had the courage to use a bit of common sense. We talk about "reasonable doubt". To me it was clearly not out. Whether the evidence was conclusive is up to him.
If it had been Australia batting and the out decision allowed to stand, I think we'd have all been pretty miffed.

Umpire's call has to go. I think someone wrote here that whatever the foibles of the system, if it's that close, surely the technology is better that one person who saw it once, at live speed, 22 metres away.
I reckon umpire's call was initially brought in to placate the skeptics at the time. Maybe we've seen enough and it's time to let it go.

If Matt Wade's your number 5 you owe Glenn Maxwell a shot. In Australia. For more than two Tests in a row. Without shifting him from number 6 to open to number 8 to number 3 every second innings.

Maxi hasn't played a first class game since October 2019!

Say it again, Wade is state tier.

Paine is a good captain but Carey would provide more overall pure cricketing value to the team.

Disappointing day, no two ways about it.

It was an interesting one ... litmus test for the system.
By the absolute letter of the law as they are supposed to process DRS decisions, you could argue that he should have let the on-field decision stand as there was no "conclusive" evidence to overturn (although how you conclusively prove that something didn't happen is beyond me).
But I think the TV umpire had the courage to use a bit of common sense. We talk about "reasonable doubt". To me it was clearly not out. Whether the evidence was conclusive is up to him.
If it had been Australia batting and the out decision allowed to stand, I think we'd have all been pretty miffed.

Umpire's call has to go. I think someone wrote here that whatever the foibles of the system, if it's that close, surely the technology is better that one person who saw it once, at live speed, 22 metres away.
I reckon umpire's call was initially brought in to placate the skeptics at the time. Maybe we've seen enough and it's time to let it go.
I didn't think it was out to begin with, and the controlling umpire got bluffed by the strong appeal. But when the third umpire isn't able to get the vision he wants (one angle with the camera too low, one with the ball & hotspot obscured by a fielder) and says "Is that all you've got for me?", he's overstepping the mark in guessing that it wasn't out. You'd hate to think he was feeling implied pressure from the BCCI.

Reckon they got the right decision for the wrong reason. That's not how it's supposed to work.

I didn't think it was out to begin with, and the controlling umpire got bluffed by the strong appeal. But when the third umpire isn't able to get the vision he wants (one angle with the camera too low, one with the ball & hotspot obscured by a fielder) and says "Is that all you've got for me?", he's overstepping the mark in guessing that it wasn't out. You'd hate to think he was feeling implied pressure from the BCCI.

Reckon they got the right decision for the wrong reason. That's not how it's supposed to work.
Better that than getting the wrong decision for the right reason!