Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
We should dismiss it because it's the worst form of the game. We're no good at it and it hampers our efforts to be good at real cricket.

Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
We should dismiss it because it's the worst form of the game. We're no good at it and it hampers our efforts to be good at real cricket.
Yeh, it’s meaningless, totally forgettable fluff.

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Has any cricketer ever dealt with concussion like Pukowski? I don't know about batting at all but unlike footy there isn't a third party involved, surely his technique is an issue? Can't be unlucky that often?

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Has any cricketer ever dealt with concussion like Pukowski? I don't know about batting at all but unlike footy there isn't a third party involved, surely his technique is an issue? Can't be unlucky that often?
I haven't seen every incidence of him being hit, 22, but those I have seen suggest he's in two minds whether to duck or play - at least once he was hit after starting to duck, knee on the ground then attempting some sort of hook.

It's unusual for him because the rest of his game is so orthodox, measured and organised. He seems to play the right shot to the right ball except the short one on or just outside off.

It's probably related to the one flaw in his technique - his front foot getting outside off early. It closes him off a bit and gives him nowhere to go at times, resulting in him getting pinned - or risking LBW to full balls.

I said Slater's a d!ckhead but not when he's talking about batting technique. He highlights Pucovski's front foot here:

Reactions: 2 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
That was informative... smith surely a maverick technique that only works for him.

And took me back to the u11s coach showed me the technique for fwd defence in the nets. Said do it and you get a game. First ball cleaned up middle stump, next was textbook and I was in. Trouble was I never learnt another stroke.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Yep. I went down to Ringwood with a mate to fill in over the summer holidays in a under 16s.
Trial in the nets.
Played a perfect straight bat defensive stroke.
Only problem the bowler was good and produced a lovely off cutter.
Hit me flush on the left thigh and gave me a corkie.
Lost interest there and then.
Tys turned out to be much better than me .

Reactions: 1 user

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
That week I was fielding at point.
Our opening bowler was quick and went on to play district.
The opposition batter slashed at a wide ball.
The ball flew past my open mouth before I had time to move.
Six inches closer and I would have lost all my teeth.
My mother decided tennis was a more sensible game for me.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Yep. I went down to Ringwood with a mate to fill in over the summer holidays in a under 16s.
Trial in the nets.
Played a perfect straight bat defensive stroke.
Only problem the bowler was good and produced a lovely off cutter.
Hit me flush on the left thigh and gave me a corkie.
Lost interest there and then.
Tys turned out to be much better than me .
What year was that? Played all my juniors at Ringwood.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Too long ago. Maybe early 70 s.
Mate was V Patullock ...played juniors for a few years there.
Tys played there at the end of school for a few years much later.
Ah, before my time. That would've been the old nets at the top end of the pavilion, before they built new ones closer to Aquinas.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Zampa has improved out of sight since he went with the Bakes hairdo, is on a hat-rick when he bowls next.

Mustafizur isn't very brave, it looks like Rodney Hogg taught him how to bat.

Edit

Wade dropped a tough catch that would've given Zampa his hat-rick

Last edited:

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Zampa has improved out of sight since he went with the Bakes hairdo, is on a hat-rick when he bowls next.

Mustafizur isn't very brave, it looks like Rodney Hogg taught him how to bat.

Edit

Wade dropped a tough catch that would've given Zampa his hat-rick
Zampa let him know about it, too.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I wonder if the issue is partly around how deep modern players take the back and across movement?

Ponting always used to press forward and he always said he was so good on the short ball because his weight was forward so he could take it back easily, and he felt the English players, who tended to go back and across, were stuck with weight back and had nowhere to go if it was short.

I vaguely remember Ian Chappell used to go back and across but I have a feeling he used to then press forward as well didn't he?

Hayden, Martyn, Gilchrist and Hussey all had degress of forward press, Martyn , both Waugh's back and across but didn't hook or pull.
Chappelli had the most exaggerated back and across. He was a great hooker and puller. So was Bradman, who also went back and across. Ditto Smith and Marnus.

Ponting had a press forward but the actual movement was minimal. Viv had a tiny step back and across combined with a forward press. Both great hookers and pullers. Lara too. One thing you notice with all three is how much of their stumps you can see as the ball is bowled, whereas a lot of modern players are standing right in front of the wicket when the ball is released. The issue might be how far modern players want to get across to the off before the ball is even bowled.

I'm not sure any one method is the be-all and end-all, I agree with Chappelli that's it's all about intent: if you're a hooker you have that movement to get inside the line and means you can avoid the ball relatively easily.

No matter your trigger movement or even if you don't have one, the key is to be balanced on the balls of your feet when the ball is delivered. Looking closer at Pucovski, his front foot is sometimes in the air as the bowler releases, then he plants it and it doesn't move. The video I posted where he gets hit, he's already standing in front of off-stump when the ball is let go. A great bouncer is directed over off stump. Players like the Waughs, who preferred to stay legside of the short stuff, could sway out of the way. Ponting and Viv could too, because they weren't already over there.

Once Pucovski sees that short one coming right at him, his feet don't move. He starts to duck then waves his bat at it as he goes to one knee. Despite his feet being outside off he never gets his head inside the line.

I'm no coach but I'd suggest he stops walking across his stumps so far. I know the legside has fewer fielders and therefore more scoring opportunities but he has a 360-degree game so it's not a big issue. It would also alleviate his LBW problem and he could keep his head out of harm's way. Shelve the hook shot, sway like Mark Waugh and use the uppercut to score off the short stuff.

Reactions: 4 users

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
what possessed them to challenge ?I don't think i' ve seen a worse review. 158 to get to hopefully secure a semi spot.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
133/1 25 more needed, 6 overs left. if they can win with 3 overs to spare that will probably close the door on Sth Africa.