Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

England have put their eggs in the Adelaide test basket. If they lose, I can't see them overcoming a 0-2 position to regain the Ashes. They really needed to play Anderson & Broad this first test to put our fragile batting under pressure. If they're under prepared now, they're not going to be in much better state for Adelaide wrt match fitness. Bizarre...

Only 20 runs to win but Harris could be batting now to keep his place.

Last edited:
England have put their eggs in the Adelaide test basket. If they lose, I can't see them overcoming a 0-2 position to regain the Ashes. They really needed to play Anderson & Broad this first test to put our fragile batting under pressure. If they're under prepared now, they're not going to be in much better state for Adelaide wrt match fitness. Bizarre...

Only 20 runs to win but Harris could be batting now to keep his place.

As a Pom who has been disappointed the last 2 series in Australia where we have won 0 from 10 tests, I'm more focused on winning 1 test before the series comes into thinking. Haven't won a test in Australia since 2011. I think you are right, that we weren't expecting to win in Brissy so have left Anderson and Broad for Adelaide. I don't think the 2 of them can play more than probably 3 tests each so I think they are focusing them on which test is more likely. We have a decent record in Adelaide (far far better than Brissy where our record sucks).

Yes, 'management' important with less than a week between each test but should have at least played one of the 2, probably Broad (v Warner) to try & land blow or 2, rather than virtually concede this test. Just puts more pressure on them to perform in Adelaide & remaining tests.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, 'management' important with less than a week between each test but should have at least played one of the 2, probably Broad (v Warner) to try & land blow or 2, rather than virtually concede this test. Just puts more pressure on them to perform in Adelaide & remaining tests.

I agree. I'd have played Broad personally too, probably instead of Woakes. Having Archer injured doesn't help with Wood's management either, as I suspect they may have rotated between tests with those 2.

Robinson and Wood were clearly the pick of the England batsmen. A quartet of those 2 along with Broad and Anderson will be enticing, particularly for the 2 day / night tests.

Stupid call to bat first by England. Went a long way toward the loss.
Good.
You have to wonder why? Did they not read the obvious weather conditions and what that meant..?
Or was it just Ol Blighty thinking they're above it ? They out-thought themselves ...

I don't think the crowded schedules now allow for the proper preparation, without giving away some cricket.

In 2005 for example, there was a 20/20 match, a couple of one day series and a handful of various length practice games before the first test. A few different squads and England weather issues of course, but the opportunity to get some cricket in and be in good nick for the first test was there. Doesn't feel like that is ever the case now.
I'd love to see more cricket in the lead up to test matches...................Lillee and his son opening the bowling for the Chairman's 11 against Pakistan at Lilac Hill:love:

I just can't see it happening unfortunately.

You mention 2005, I remember the 2004/05 summer fondly.

Aust v Pakistan test at the Waca, McGrath routed Pakistan taking 8fa in their 2nd innings, early on day 4. Did a humungous pub, bus, pub, train pub crawl, finishing up at the Ocean Beach Hotel at Cottesloe.................. I was in my natural prime back then:)

Then onto the MCG for 2nd test, followed by the 3rd test at the SCG. Punter got a brilliant 200, but the highlight for me was Gilly going from 82 to 88 to 94 to 98 in successive balls, and of course he brought up his ton with a 6.
Then flew back to Melbourne for the tsunami charity one-dayer.

Them were the days.

Reactions: 3 users
It
I'd love to see more cricket in the lead up to test matches...................Lillee and his son opening the bowling for the Chairman's 11 against Pakistan at Lilac Hill:love:

I just can't see it happening unfortunately.

You mention 2005, I remember the 2004/05 summer fondly.

Aust v Pakistan test at the Waca, McGrath routed Pakistan taking 8fa in their 2nd innings, early on day 4. Did a humungous pub, bus, pub, train pub crawl, finishing up at the Ocean Beach Hotel at Cottesloe.................. I was in my natural prime back then:)

Then onto the MCG for 2nd test, followed by the 3rd test at the SCG. Punter got a brilliant 200, but the highlight for me was Gilly going from 82 to 88 to 94 to 98 in successive balls, and of course he brought up his ton with a 6.
Then flew back to Melbourne for the tsunami charity one-dayer.

Them were the days.

Made a special trip to see Lilac Hill when in Perth a few years ago.
A great place for an opening social hit.
No doubt the lack of practice games affects the visiting side.

Great. Ashes test in a village cricket setting.

yep - it’s like watching the Aussies in the UK playing county cricket - it’s what cricket should be about.

The last time I saw test cricket at Bellerive was when Gilly played a blinder and scored 149 - took a sickie and wandered across the river, sat on the hill and saw the best days cricket ever (for me).

Big crowds, big stadiums are good for atmosphere but not for the soul of the game.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
yep - it’s like watching the Aussies in the UK playing county cricket - it’s what cricket should be about.

The last time I saw test cricket at Bellerive was when Gilly played a blinder and scored 149 - took a sickie and wandered across the river, sat on the hill and saw the best days cricket ever (for me).

Big crowds, big stadiums are good for atmosphere but not for the soul of the game.
Was that when Gilly and Langer had that big partnership?

Not sure if they did it on purpose but with the numbers on the back of the players now I noticed that Joe Root has number 66.
Root 66 :ROFLMAO:

Thunder v Stars again?? Just played the other night.
Big Bash is becoming irrelevant the novelty has been wearing off the past 3 years and is now nigh on worn off.r

Cowd's are sheizenhausen, and Covid's really helping to kill it off faster than it was already dying naturally.

It has become something easy to watch on TV and the effort and cost to go arent worth it especially with current imposts.

Not to mention its 4 hours of non stop noise assault from ground announcers and music that is a real grind.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Big Bash is becoming irrelevant the novelty has worn off and crowds are sheizenhausen, Covid's killing it off faster than it was already dying naturally.
It's going to be interesting to see what the crowds are like for the AFL next year. Most people will be double jabbed and a lot will have had the booster.
I won't be surprised if the crowds are down quite a bit.