Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
The making of him will be when he comes in at 3 for 10 and toughs out a ton.

Warner and Labsuchagne had already worn the bowlers down. Good knock but cashing in on top-order work. But that's the job.
The bowlers had their tails up when he stared, they took 4-29 from when Labuschagne got out, (2/166-5/195) to when Carey came in. They needed to re-establish.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Sure, but the bowlers were also tired, with an old ball.

Agree spook. The batsmen that for me was the best for Australia was Marnus, it was why the dropped chance that fell early to Root was so important in the context of this game, got to get Marnus early, think he scored nearly another 60 after that.

An 85 ball century in a test shows how much Head could take on the bowlers because of what the top order managed to do. No way you score an 85 ball century in a test if you are under a lot of pressure.

Reactions: 2 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
James Brayshaw already calling it one of the greatest Ashes 100's ever.
Is there a bigger flog in the media?
It was good knock, but that's a bit over the top.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Hameed needs to bat a lot better than he was in the field. He had a shocker in the field for much of that innings.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Gee Burns gave Starc another good look at his leg stump !!

At least he did better this innings and forced the decision onto the ump and DRS rather what he did in the 1st innings. IMO ball tracking wouldn't have shown the swing that the actual ball did if he had kept his stumps protected by his leg. Most likely wouldn't have been given out IMO in the 1st so at least he's learnt a little bit. His footwork looks very shaky though doesn't it.

I know they've just been talking about 2011 when Strauss and Cook scored whoppers in the 2nd innings at the Gabba but Burns and Hameed are a long way from Cook and Strauss. Burns in particular.

Reactions: 1 user

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
It might be treasonous as an Aussie, but I'd like to see the Poms put on a good score in this innings so there's something to watch over the weekend.

Nothing worse that a lopsided test match.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
It might be treasonous as an Aussie, but I'd like to see the Poms put on a good score in this innings so there's something to watch over the weekend.

Nothing worse that a lopsided test match.
Agree. I don't watch cricket, especially the Ashes, for thrashings.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I’d like see Starc came around the wicket to Burns, hone in on that leg stump.

I think that would suit Burns. Starc is encouraging him to move across his stumps, and if he comes around the wicket he will be bowling on his legs which is generally Burns strength but without the excessive movement of his right leg coming across his stumps (as we see when Starc is bowling over the wicket) then it would probably work into Burns favour as he is very much a leg side player.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I think that would suit Burns. Starc is encouraging him to move across his stumps, and if he comes around the wicket he will be bowling on his legs which is generally Burns strength but without the excessive movement of his right leg coming across his stumps (as we see when Starc is bowling over the wicket) then it would probably work into Burns favour as he is very much a leg side player.
Yes possibly, though after I posted about Starc coming around the wicked, Hazelwood targeted Burns leg stump with one ball. He was good enough to get bat on it, but It showed to be it would be worth a try.
Conditions aren’t as conducive for swing today, which is in Burns favour.

Edit
A shortish quick ball just outside off stump might be worth a try:)

Last edited:

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Burns, no, no, no, no, no. 2 awful dismissals for an opener in this test. Bowled around his stumps and then plays ridiculously at a ball that should have been left on length alone. No need whatsoever to even play at that ball.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Harsh, posh. It was a brute of a ball. Beaten for pace and bounce.

Maybe a touch harsh, it was a good ball, but Burns has never been an off side player, he scores very heavily on the left side and we are losing by 250+ runs. You just don't try and cut those sort of deliveries IMO, especially in the 1st 10 overs. You look at Marnus yesterday and there is no way he would have played anywhere near that ball and he has a far more expansive arsenal of shots than what Burns has.

Reckon this series will kill Burns career.