Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Bairstows not playing. Pope came in for him. This is all on Root from here on, and if the others can stick around with him.
Yep, I did know that! Lol. Got the Bs confused.

But is this all down to England having focused on short-form cricket? Clearly tossed it in as soon as it looked tough?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yep, I did know that! Lol. Got the Bs confused.

But is this all down to England having focused on short-form cricket? Clearly tossed it in as soon as it looked tough?

The ECB have even moved the Country Cricket season so that the 100 gets the best wickets, which just shows where their focus has been which is on white ball cricket. Doesn't help when we try and get our players playing overseas, for example, here in Australia but they don't allow many if any to come over with only 6 Shield teams to play in.

There has to be a similar focus like there was in the late 90's to change direction and have a massive focus on red ball cricket which culminated in the 2005 Ashes win. We have gone backwards not forwards from there due to the ECB's decisions and I think a lot there needs to change (but not he captain).

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I think Boland coming in with 18 wickets at less than 10 more than mitigated that loss for you. Hazlewood would hardly have been expected to do better than that.

If it was a 6 test series and Hazelwood is fit for the last test, who misses out Cummins, Starc, Hazelwood or Boland?
For mine it has to be Starc, Boland has established himself in the side as far as I'm concerned.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
If it was a 6 test series and Hazelwood is fit for the last test, who misses out Cummins, Starc, Hazelwood or Boland?
For mine it has to be Starc, Boland has established himself in the side as far as I'm concerned.

Its probably a good thing that no-one needs to make that decision, I wouldn't want to make that call, but you'd potentially be right with Starc.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
I think Starc the only quick from both countries to play all 5 tests so would give him a spell if there was a 6th test

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I actually feel really sorry for Joe Root. He's been slagged off (even the commentators have constantly been talking about who replaces him the last 2 tests), yet has scored almost 100 runs more than anyone else in this series, scored more than 500 runs more than anyone else in 2021, and he's also been unlucky this series, either with ballss that stayed low like in Hobart, or he got a few absolute jaffas. I don't remember Root ever giving his wicket away like some of the others.
Root is overrated IMO. A poor front foot player, bowlers for some reason bowl short of a length to him. Bowl full and straight and he really struggles. Great back foot player though.
He isn’t helped by his teammates.
He scored so many more runs because he played so many more tests than anyone else in 2021.
Good player, not a great player.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Root is overrated IMO. A poor front foot player, bowlers for some reason bowl short of a length to him. Bowl full and straight and he really struggles. Great back foot player though.
He isn’t helped by his teammates.
He scored so many more runs because he played so many more tests than anyone else in 2021.
Good player, not a great player.

An average of 50 and he's not a great player. OK if you say so.

BTW the comment on 500 more runs, was 500 more runs than any other ENGLISH player. Nowhere in that post did I compare him to others outside of the England team.

Last edited:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
A tough choice for player of the series, Cummins must've been a close thing. Happy enough for Head to get the nod, his hundred in the 1st innings of this test set the test up for Australia.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Root's a very good, not quite great player for me.

Averages 49 in Test cricket, but 38 against Australia, and 35 in Australia, with zero hundreds in 14 Tests here. But his record against India is magnificent. You could argue he's great, but just short of it for mine.

Shithouse captain, though.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
All-time great this lad Cummins. Thank you Tim Paine's d1ck (ffs, we can't say d1ck?) for forcing the right choice on the selectors.

What about Green. Woah.

Pitches with something for the bowlers. Even in a one-sided series, it makes for better watching than roads with hundreds galore. Earn your runs. An important correction.

Reactions: 4 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Also Wood swinging like he's playing 20/20.

Why? There's being aggressive and then there's being reckless. But Robinson just gave up.
Looked like the white flag went up once Pope and Billings went quickly. Or bowlers tired of being expected to make the runs as well as do the hard work of taking wickets.
Or everyone just wants to go home! :(

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Robinson’s dismissal was painful. Don’t like the cut of that guy’s jib.

Pommies were *smile*, but this Aussie team is building to something. Good leadership, great camaraderie, lethal bowling, new steel to the batting.

England in England, India in India, South Africa in South Africa. The trifecta awaits.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Theres something not quite right about Robinson right? Thats why I think he needs to be sat down and asked if he wants to pull the hard yards for England. If he doesn't then release him back to County cricket and move on with someone else. He has all the skills to lead our bowling after Anderson / Broad but he needs to get super fit and increase his speeds. I'm not sure how much he really wants to be playing for England though, he just doesn't seem that committed to me.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
All-time great this lad Cummins. Thank you Tim Paine's d1ck (ffs, we can't say d1ck?) for forcing the right choice on the selectors.

What about Green. Woah.

Pitches with something for the bowlers. Even in a one-sided series, it makes for better watching than roads with hundreds galore. Earn your runs. An important correction.

Green is going to be something really special. His bowling is outstanding. His batting is a bit robotic at the moment, moreso when he's starting out but once he gets passed around 25 or so, he seems to relax and looks so much better. He just needs to trust in himself and gee he could be anything. I'm seeing someone as important as Kallis was to South Africa (probably a bit more weighted to bowling though). Kallis was 55 with the bat and 33 with the ball. I can see a similar gap between them, something like 25 with the ball and maybe low 40's with the bat. Would go down as 1 of the greatest all rounders with that (plus will pick up a heap of catches as he's excellent in the field)), again comparing to Kallis who took 200 catches (about 1.3 / game), Green already has 9 in 9 tests.

Reckon thats what the aspiration would be, a more bowling focused Kallis type.

The wickets were good, as you say much better than those runfests.

Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I went out to the cinema tonight, left with the score at 0/55, get back in the car 3 hours later, all out 124!

Watched it back on Kayo, geez England are soft.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Pommies were *smile*, but this Aussie team is building to something. Good leadership, great camaraderie, lethal bowling, new steel to the batting.

England in England, India in India, South Africa in South Africa. The trifecta awaits.

I really like the way they have stopped the sledging and actually smile while they are playing. I reckon getting enjoyment out of the game is good for their form, worked for Richmond.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
England not helped by being England. Pressure, build up, 2 years planning and a fanfare that this year is the year.
And then the implosion.
Not helped by pandemic and excessive touring and constant restrictions, but who is surprised that England just collapse into a heap. Every single time, every series.

At least they turned up To play away, which we haven't done yet.

There is a malaise that settled into England like pneumonia. Joe Rot.

Not from playing county cricket in the spring and short form in the peak summer.
But from letting 39yo Anderson bowl spells that decrease in intensity if its not his conditions.
Letting sessions drift until the new ball by bowling Root and Malan in tandem.
Australia might bowl Smith or Marnus, but only for 2-3 overs looking to get an ugly wicket. But England will let the game ebb and not look to dictate.
Throwing wickets away. It's not a white flag Mr P, it's worse. Woakes, Robinson, Wood, all the tail enders. This wasn't going to be a Sydney draw, but its an opportunity to practice scratching and clawing and surviving. So that when a Sydney comes then they have the experience to fight.
what they did wasn't taking the attack to the Aussies, or give up. They showed that they don't value their wicket. It's worse than giving up.

Fortitude isn't built in good times. Effort isn't something you turn on or off to conserve for a better day.
England lacked energy and heart, because as a team and a cricket association they allow it

Reactions: 1 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
It's no secret England's administration were desperate for a World Cup and have seriously prioritized white-ball cricket for the last five years.
It worked. They got their World Cup.
But they also have to put up with performances like today as a consequence.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I really like the way they have stopped the sledging and actually smile while they are playing. I reckon getting enjoyment out of the game is good for their form, worked for Richmond.

DS
Yes I have noticed this as well. Despite the result one thing that has characterised this series is the lack of nastiness. It is like the two teams actually get on…..

I think the two captains have had a lot to do with that. Not sure whether Root is a good captain but I thi k he has carried himself incredibly well during the series.

Reactions: 3 users