Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
An average of 50 and he's not a great player. OK if you say so.

BTW the comment on 500 more runs, was 500 more runs than any other ENGLISH player. Nowhere in that post did I compare him to others outside of the England team.
How many games have the guys other Englishman Played? Been a lot of guys in and out of the team.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
My wife who knows absolutely nothing about cricket, laughed at the "shot" that Robinson played to get out. She couldn't believe that a professional cricketer would play such stupid shot especially in the circumstances.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
My wife who knows absolutely nothing about cricket, laughed at the "shot" that Robinson played to get out. She couldn't believe that a professional cricketer would play such stupid shot especially in the circumstances.
I dont want to be injured or any bruises for the plane ride home

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
There certainly was a high degree of pathetic by Robinson. As Vaughan said he just waved the white flag. Robinson really did look like someone who was thinking “let’s get this over with, I wanna get outta here”.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Not really. Boland got a good one. Head, see my previous post. He wants to get bat on ball, its in his DNA, so they played for that and got it, good tactics. Smiths was a strange shot as was clear thats what England were trying to get him to do, sucked right in.

You are essentially saying that any wicket to a short ball is just dumb batting and giving no benefit to the bowler,
There's only one way to get out to a short ball. Apart from Kwaj, the rest of the Aussie bats got themselves out by being lazy n stupid.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Inglis very tidy behind the stump for the Scorchers v Heat. You watch him go with the bat if he gets his eye in.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
One of the most elegant batsman we’ve seen and very good fieldsman, pity he didn’t have anywhere near the guts of he’s brother , not sure the records , however seem to go cheaply when we were 2 for not many imho.

Very very critical and negative commentator I feel , could always have done better himself .

I know averages are not everything, however averaging just over 40 says to me he was lucky to play as much test cricket as he did. Much better one day cricketer imho
Came home from a Sri Lankan tour with the nickname of Audi 0000 while Deano topped the averages for that tour. Guess who never played another test.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Think young Cam Green might just be my new favourite cricketer. Young fella just put the final tick on the resume last night. He found the silent assassin in his bowling.
Gave that Malingerer bloke as sweet a clip round the buccaneers as you'd ever want to see n followed it up by trying to shove a ball up Jig a Jig's left nostril a little later.
Quality pace bowler must have that little drop of nasty evil bastard tucked away in the back pocket for emergencies.
Destroying the Pommy top order just when they were set n looking to throw out a challenge was the work of a master craftsman.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
What is the difference between Cinderella and the Pommies.

A. Cinderella knew when to leave the ball.

Q. What's the difference between the Pommies and a funeral director?

A. A funeral director isn't going to lose the ashes.

Q What do you get if you cross the English cricket team with an OXO cube?

A. A laughing stock.

Q What is the height of optimism?

A: English batsman putting on sunscreen.

Q. What is the difference between an English batsman and a Formula 1 car?

A. Nothing! If you blink you will miss them both.

Q. What do English batsmen and drug addicts have in common?

A. Both spend most of their time wondering where their next score will come from.

Q. What does an English batsman who is playing in The Ashes have in common with Michael Jackson?

A.They both wore gloves for no apparent reason.

• Haha

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
There's only one way to get out to a short ball. Apart from Kwaj, the rest of the Aussie bats got themselves out by being lazy n stupid.

One way? Yet the dismissals were largely different. Head caught down the leg side, Boland caught off his gloves on a delivery outside off. Khawaja with a ball coming across him that caught the glove. Sure there were a few caught on the hook, but not 1 way to get out.

royce67

Tiger Rookie
Jun 4, 2008
Hobart
Came home from a Sri Lankan tour with the nickname of Audi 0000 while Deano topped the averages for that tour. Guess who never played another test.
True, but Deano only had one good game in that series (saved it for us) and wasn't much better in the other two. Matthews was the real star with the bat and McDermott with the ball. Anyway, this a just an excuse to share the crazy last hour or so of the first test. Amazing footage that I never dreamed of seeing.

I really want to know how good those Keell's sausages are though (about 53:10 mins in).

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
True, but Deano only had one good game in that series (saved it for us) and wasn't much better in the other two. Matthews was the real star with the bat and McDermott with the ball. Anyway, this a just an excuse to share the crazy last hour or so of the first test. Amazing footage that I never dreamed of seeing.

I really want to know how good those Keell's sausages are though (about 53:10 mins in).
Unbelieveable !!!
This is a very famous Test. We won despite being 291 runs behind on the first innings (the highest ever by a team that went on to win) with a hitherto unknown Shane Warne finishing the game with a spell of 4.1-3-2-3.
But it happened in Sri Lanka at a time when if it didn't happen in Australia it didn't happen.
I never knew until now that there existed some film of it. Fantastic stuff.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Gotta hand it to Rory Burns though - bloke was prepared to try anything and everything in support of his team.

Started the series with the beard - then went to the moustache only - had a couple of goes with the heavy stubble look - had a stint as clean shaven - the hair was mostly tied into a bum - and finally let the locks hang outside his helmet.

And all the while he still couldn’t bat or even field a ball cleanly.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
His average last year was roughly double anyone elses too.
He had a great year. But IMO he’s not up there with Ponting/Lara/Tendulkar/Smith/Kohli. Bowl full and straight and he struggles. His front foot play is almost non-existent. I haven’t looked at stats but I’d guess Root gets out more LBW or bowled than all those listed.

Australian bowlers in general have bowled a much better fuller length than the Poms.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
One of the most bizarre selection decisions I can recall; very typical of the NSW selection bias that has pervaded Australia cricket for a long time. Basically ended Dean Jones' test career prematurely; should have played another 20-30 tests.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Just reading about Pat Cummins being commended on his handling of Usman and the spraying of alcoholic champagne. Good stuff but I wonder why they don’t just spray non alcoholic champagne? Spraying of the champagne is just for theatre purposes, no one’s really wanting to drink it so what does it matter if it’s got alcohol in it or not?

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Just reading about Pat Cummins being commended on his handling of Usman and the spraying of alcoholic champagne. Good stuff but I wonder why they don’t just spray non alcoholic champagne? Spraying of the champagne is just for theatre purposes, no one’s really wanting to drink it so what does it matter if it’s got alcohol in it or not?
Not a bad idea. But would then probably have to explain that. Probably better off not doing it at all. Unfortunately with media scrutiny on every single little thing anyone does, you have to decide what will be the least scrutinised. My god the worlds gone to *smile*.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
not a bad solution, though it does highlight how cliched it is. Who really cares about spraying champagne, feels more like a car/bike racing thing.
Why not introduce something different?
In the footy which naturally came from the US its high velocity confetti.
Cant imagine any of the cricketers would be drinking the champers back in the dressing room

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
One way? Yet the dismissals were largely different. Head caught down the leg side, Boland caught off his gloves on a delivery outside off. Khawaja with a ball coming across him that caught the glove. Sure there were a few caught on the hook, but not 1 way to get out.
I'll forgive Boland for getting out to a short outside off, as he's a bowler not a batter. Plus he wore plenty when he went in as nightwatchman.

There is still and always has been only one way to get out from short pitched bowling.

Failure to get out of the way.

Rarely does a player get out from the ball hitting him and falling onto the stumps. Generally its from the player flapping his bat n hands at balls he should simply be leaving alone, especially at the very start of an innings when not properly set n comfortable with the pace n bounce of the pitch.

Kwaj gets a half forgive simply because he copped a beast of a ball that followed him. But he still failed to get out of the way, unlike the other blokes who were busy flapping at rubbish, some in both innings which is totally unforgivable.

Great to see on the news tonight that firstly some of the Aussies n Poms were having an after series session, very impressed that the local Plod were invited along to shut down the gathering.
Even more impressed that some of the players joined the Barmies for a quiet sip or two even though a couple of the boys napped through some of it.