Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
When I was playing, 50 over cricket hadn't been heard of let alone 20 overs:whistle:
Yeah I lasted one season as a junior, that was enough for me lol. Was better with a round and oval ball :)

Cricketers hand eye coordination is another level. And probably a few more levels as well.

I remember seeing Graham Yallop around 1980 on the first hole at Ringwood Golf Course, so going back a bit, and the first then was like 285 metres. This dude nearly drives the first hole, just a little to the right but about 250-255 easily. About 30 metres from the pin. Amazing!!

Me and my mates were jumping all over the place :banana

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Yeah I lasted one season as a junior, that was enough for me lol. Was better with a round and oval ball :)

Cricketers hand eye coordination is another level. And probably a few more levels as well.

I remember seeing Graham Yallop around 1980 on the first hole at Ringwood Golf Course, so going back a bit, and the first then was like 285 metres. This dude nearly drives the first hole, just a little to the right but about 250-255 easily. About 30 metres from the pin. Amazing!!

Me and my mates were jumping all over the place :banana
Yallop was a good bat, was he a left hander at golf too?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
There’s to be a sequel to Amazons series The Test, this one focussing on this summers series v England, there’s to be less focus on Langer and more on Cummins and the players.

• Love

Born_a_Tiger78

Tiger Rookie
Jul 16, 2008
One of the most bizarre selection decisions I can recall; very typical of the NSW selection bias that has pervaded Australia cricket for a long time. Basically ended Dean Jones' test career prematurely; should have played another 20-30 tests.
The decision might of already been made, but there was a 1st class match, Vic vs WI at Sale Oval where Dean could have presented a case for selection. He got out for a duck. He also struggled to keep his eyes open at the local "nightclub" Ringers at 3:00am in the morning he was due to bat for his test career.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Yallop was a good bat, was he a left hander at golf too?
Man, I can't 100% remember that part. Maybe a right hander which added to our excitement knowing he batted left in cricket. Think that was the first time I'd come across someone playing another sport "opposite handed" from their main sport.

That was the time and era left handedness was not encouraged in really anything and all golf courses were designed for right handers and they got into people's heads that you had to play golf right handed, not left handed. David Graham grew up playing golf left handed, showed some ability and they told him you won't get anywhere playing that way. Switched to the right at 14 and at age 16 he was a pro! o_O

Then many years later along comes Mickelson and he made the left cool :cool:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I was there for the Gilchrist one, just an incredible display of ball striking. He was struggling before that game and I reckon he would have joined the other boys who retired at the end of the series had he failed.

He squirted one past gully early and it was like he just said stuff this, if I go down, I'm going down swinging. Unfortunately he was the only person in the WACA who didn't know the record or else he would have broken it easily.
I was there too, Hoggard bowling wide outside off stump didn't help Gilly while he was going for the fastest ever test century, even though Gilly didn't know it at the time.
Got a mate who still bleeds about Gilly's 100, he had to leave early and go to a wedding.

Edit

I was also at the Waca when Chris Gayle smashed a rapid fire test century. Unlike the sixes Gilly hit for his ton, most of Gayle's sixes were at the end where I was sitting, awesome hitting.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
I was there too, Hoggard bowling wide outside off stump didn't help Gilly while he was going for the fastest ever test century, even though Gilly didn't know it at the time.
Got a mate who still bleeds about Gilly's 100, he had to leave early and go to a wedding.
U guys all from WA or go watch cricket around Oz a bit? :unsure:

(Starting to sound like the day DK Lillee rang through the Windies before stumps, took 3 wickets and Windies were 4-10 at stumps). And we're up from about 3-5,000 who were there that late in the day to about 300,000 now claiming they were there :oops:

I was not there!! :unsure: Part of the the 300,000 though ;)

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
U guys all from WA or go watch cricket around Oz a bit? :unsure:

(Starting to sound like the day DK Lillee rang through the Windies before stumps, took 3 wickets and Windies were 4-10 at stumps). And we're up from about 3-5,000 who were there that late in the day to about 300,000 now claiming they were there :oops:

I was not there!! :unsure: Part of the the 300,000 though ;)
From Wa, but used to do every day of both the Waca and Mcg test, and a couple times I did 3 tests in the same summer.

• Love

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
From Wa, but used to do every day of both the Waca and Mcg test, and a couple times I did 3 tests in the same summer.
That's awesome :giggle: When our Test team were all from WA as well :mhihi

still stuck on doing MCG Tests here. Just one Ashes test at the Gabba 2013 (was working in Brizzy at the time). Need to do the Adelaide day-nighter.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Yeah me too, the amazing thing was in the test before in Adelaide he made the most magnificent 150 in true test match style.

Very rare talent to be able to do both.

I went to almost every cricket match Australia played for about 8 years due to my employment.
That's madddd :oops: Well played to you Sir :clap1

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I was at a mate’s place at the time. We settled in to watch the day’s play. He watched the start of Gilly’s innings then had to go upstairs to give his toddler son a bath and put him to bed. Said he would be back soon. When he came back down he apologised he took so long, his son wouldn’t go to sleep. He asked me what he missed. I replied “ History” :)

• Haha

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Yeah me too, the amazing thing was in the test before in Adelaide he made the most magnificent 150 in true test match style.

Very rare talent to be able to do both.
Gayle was criticised for going home to be with his ill mother between the Adelaide test and the Perth test.
His brutal 100 at the WACA was a, shut the **** up, to everyone who criticised him for leaving the tour, I loved it.

• Love

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Wow, tests in 3 states. I was going to say I've only ever been to a test at the MCG, then I remembered, I went to a day of a test at Wanderers in Johannesburg. And what a day, Steve Waugh and Greg Blewett were in all day, we didn't lose a wicket. All the South African supporters stirring at the start of the day was very quiet by the end of the day, I wasn't the most popular person there.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Watched Shane on Amazon Prime, interesting enough, doesn’t scratch the surface too much as Warne is a major participant/contributor.