Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
You’d reckon he would be more frustrated than anyone. I’m sure he has tried lots of different things. He would know what a difference he makes to our chances.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
A fight back of sorts..............after being 6-36, South Africa are now 6-55 against the Poms in the 3rd test.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Sorry to see Aaron Finch not go out on a higher note. Underrated player, has more ODI hundreds than Gilchrist, Hayden and M Clarke, one less than M Waugh.

Going to be a long, sad summer watching cricket without the King in commentary as well. :(

Reactions: 1 user

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Sorry to see Aaron Finch not go out on a higher note. Underrated player, has more ODI hundreds than Gilchrist, Hayden and M Clarke, one less than M Waugh.

Going to be a long, sad summer watching cricket without the King in commentary as well. :(
Aaron Finch has been out of form for 5 years. Surprised it took this long for him to get the flick or retire.

• Wow

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Aaron Finch has been out of form for 5 years. Surprised it took this long for him to get the flick or retire.
Yeah, I don’t know the stats say but it always feels like he’s out of form for long stretches, hits a purple patch then is out of form for long stretches.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Finch is a good captain and always had integrity. But to compare him with Gilchrist in ODI is crazy. As suggested he was pretty one dimensional.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

The video footage is pretty funny.

Reminds me of one of my local suburban sports grounds that I grew up playing footy and cricket on. There is a street of really close houses that have copped multiple cricket balls denting front doors or smashing front windows over the years. Most of them have security grills on windows and doors these days.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Very harsh on Finch, you blokes.

Over 5000 runs at a shade under 40 is an absolute top shelf career. Has the 4th most 100s for Australia in ODIs.

That's an all time great.
White ball cricket. Which is literally flat track cricket. I won't get in to how much easier it is opening in that format, but a comparison with his red ball numbers proves my point.

(Actually, just to get into opening a little, Glenn Maxwell has opened twice in T20Is, for scores of 145* off 65 balls and 66 off 29 - 211 runs for once out off a total of 94 balls. The one time he opened in an ODI he scored 51* off 35. But his mate Finch prefers to bat him at 7 or 8.)

Finch was a destructive player when set and the ball wasn't doing anything. Took advantage of field restrictions early, murdered (non-)spinners later. But I've never seen a top order player bowled through the gate so much (not even Greg Blewett) or LBW, or caught at mid-off.

As a Maxwell fan, his deliberate limiting of opportunity smacked of the type of jealousy that can happen in cricket teams (batsmen are selfish) and seems to be directed at Maxwell particularly (compare how many chances Mitch Marsh has had both at test level and to bat high in the order in flat track cricket).

Maybe the Maxwell treatment wasn't Finch's call but a directive from above (hi JL).

No doubt Finch had a great white ball career, and seems to have been a pretty good captain other than the Maxi misuse.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Very harsh on Finch, you blokes.

Over 5000 runs at a shade under 40 is an absolute top shelf career. Has the 4th most 100s for Australia in ODIs.

That's an all time great.

As spook suggests, bowlers are as much trying to limit runs as take wickets in ODI. Much more defensive. One slip, often no gully, no in close filedsman.

Finch has a first class average of a tick under 36. He's a "good" batsman that was suited to opening ODI's as he was a good straight hitter. And once captain his spot in the side was reasonably secure. Opening the batting in OD cricket is the best spot to be.

Not sure having a ODI opening average of a tick under 39 at 87 qualifies as an all-time great?

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
White ball cricket. Which is literally flat track cricket. I won't get in to how much easier it is opening in that format, but a comparison with his red ball numbers proves my point.

I'm not suggesting he's any good with a red ball, ODI champ.

Not sure having a ODI opening average of a tick under 39 at 87 qualifies as an all-time great?

It's not bad.

Gilchrist 35 at 96, M Waugh 39 at 76, Hayden 44 at 78, Warner 44 at 96, Tendulkar 44 at 86, Gayle 37 at 87, Sangakkarra 41 at 78.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I'm not suggesting he's any good with a red ball, ODI champ.

It's not bad.

Gilchrist 35 at 96, M Waugh 39 at 76, Hayden 44 at 78, Warner 44 at 96, Tendulkar 44 at 86, Gayle 37 at 87, Sangakkarra 41 at 78.

Most of those played a different type of ODI cricket where 250 was regularly a good score. Get 250 these days and most games you will lose in a little over 40 overs.

Just to compare Finch with someone a little more recently.

Jason Roy averages 40 at 107 in 107 ODI's. If Finch is an all time great, that must make Roy an all time great also. I'm not sure many people would call Roy an all time great.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
So much has changed in cricket it's impossible to compare players across different eras. Today's players use bigger bats and hit to shorter boundaries. In the 80s, two white balls were used - one from either end - so they stayed harder longer and swung for longer. And most ODI pitches these days are like batting on concrete - compare with the horrible MCG tracks in the 80s and the Sydney pitches that would turn square, especially under lights. And no one in the last 20 years has had to face the greatest, most terrifying fast bowling attack of all time, or Wasim and Waqar reversing the thing all over the joint.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Will Pucovski starts the season with 193 (retired) for the Victorian Second XI. Let's hope he can get and stay right.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Will Pucovski starts the season with 193 (retired) for the Victorian Second XI. Let's hope he can get and stay right.
He's a generational talent. Must be a pretty mentally strong kid to have the will to continue and front up after what he's been through.