Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

royce67

Tiger Rookie
Jun 4, 2008
Hobart
“Chief selector Trevor Hohns must be watching a Bancroft doppelganger if he has observed that ‘the improvement in his game is quite noticeable’. It certainly isn’t reflected in the only currency in which it counts – making runs.

I think Hohns has observed that Bancroft now leaves the crease even quicker than before. Marshesque in fact!

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Ha, the guy giving the Welcome to country for the opening day of the cricket just called the Pakistanis “Pakis”.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Ha, the guy giving the Welcome to country for the opening day of the cricket just called the Pakistanis “Pakis”.
I heard it too. He said something like good luck to the Pakis and the Aussies. Hopefully nothing too much will be made of it but if it was some middle-aged white guy making the same comment there would be a flood of complaints on all the usual social media feeds and he would likely be sacked.

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I heard it too. He said something like good luck to the Pakis and the Aussies. Hopefully nothing too much will be made of it but if it was some middle-aged white guy making the same comment there would be a flood of complaints on all the usual social media feeds and he would likely be sacked.

Not so long ago it was part of our vernacular without a hint of controversy.

Openers' gift the one bright spot for struggling Pakis

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Yet again the umpires don’t seem to be watching for front foot no balls. Tv replays show Shah bowling 2 uncalled no balls. Seems the umpires are only asking for replays of no balls when a wicket is taken.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Yet again the umpires don’t seem to be watching for front foot no balls. Tv replays show Shah bowling 2 uncalled no balls. Seems the umpires are only asking for replays of no balls when a wicket is taken.
Well it’s amateur hour in the cricket. The 16yr old Pakistani bowler bowled 2 consecutive no balls that went uncalled by the umpire then on the 3rd one he got Warner out only to find out he’d bowled a 3rd consecutive no ball. It’s quiet pathetic, what are these umpires there for?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Well it’s amateur hour in the cricket. The 16yr old Pakistani bowler bowled 2 consecutive no balls that went uncalled by the umpire then on the 3rd one he got Warner out only to find out he’d bowled a 3rd consecutive no ball. It’s quiet pathetic, what are these umpires there for?

Umpires appear to have been operating to a loose directive to focus on bat & ball decisions for some time, and it's probably something that's best left to the side-on cameras. Yeah the batsmen is deprived of his limited opportunity for a "free swing", but they could penalise a no-ball with two runs to compensate.

Obviously can only be employed at the top level with cameras present. Perhaps possible too for the bowling side to game the system by having a fielder walk in front of the camera while the bowler deliberately oversteps.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Umpires appear to have been operating to a loose directive to focus on bat & ball decisions for some time, and it's probably something that's best left to the side-on cameras. Yeah the batsmen is deprived of his limited opportunity for a "free swing", but they could penalise a no-ball with two runs to compensate.

Obviously can only be employed at the top level with cameras present. Perhaps possible too for the bowling side to game the system by having a fielder walk in front of the camera while the bowler deliberately oversteps.
Well it’s a pretty stupid directive. We’ve seen 4 uncalled no balls (with god knows how many others that they haven’t replayed) costing Australia 4 runs plus any runs that may have come from the re-bowled balls.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Well it’s a pretty stupid directive. We’ve seen 4 uncalled no balls (with god knows how many others that they haven’t replayed) costing Australia 4 runs plus any runs that may have come from the re-bowled balls.

Craddock wrote about it only yesterday.
The time has come for cricket to move out of the stone age and get with the technological times in its detection of no-balls.

In tennis a sensor tells us whether a serve is in or out and its findings are beyond question.

In soccer similar systems are used to tell us definitively whether a ball has gone over the goal line.

Yet in cricket no-balls are “sort of’’ judged by umpires who sometimes look down at their feet and sometimes don’t.

Then they are corrected later on suspicion … sometimes.

It’s the sloppiest part of the game.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
So they've just highlighted there's been 21 uncalled no balls! Outrageous.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
21 uncalled no balls - so far!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Pakistan doing well to ensure Smith isn't a factor in this test

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
So they've just highlighted there's been 21 uncalled no balls! Outrageous.
Maybe Razor Ray could get a job as a cricket umpire, he usually sees everything n even *smile* that isn't really there. Bloody cricket umpires, nothing more than glorified hat racks n sunnies holders these days. Technology covers everything else way more competently.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
India 4/289 "chasing" Bangladesh's 106.
Sheesh. I may be swimming against the tide here but I think the World Test Championship was a dumb idea.
It compels the sport to play series which are massive mismatches, and I don't think it adds anything to Test cricket.
India v Bangladesh in India is nonsense.
I'm not against the sport elevating the likes of Afghanistan and Ireland to Test status, but they need to be clever about who plays who and where.
Bangladesh have beaten Australia in a Test so they are not that bad but it was in Bangladesh.
38 years as a Test playing nation and Sri Lanka still has never beaten Australia in Australia.

brigadiertiger

Tiger Champion
Dec 1, 2005
Craddock wrote about it only yesterday.

I have long wondered why a system similar to tennis couldn't be employed to determine a no ball in Cricket. Even better just go back to the rear foot no ball umpires had time to see where the foot landed then look up to see the delivery or call the no ball in time for the batsman to realise and take a swing.