Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Some of the directions CA has issued to local cricket

- avoid using saliva to shine the ball
- hand sanitiser must be made available in rooms
- essential players and staff only at training/rooms
- no sharing of drinks, towels, sunscreen etc
- no sharing of equipment
- wash hands regularly and before eating
- anyone with symptoms of COVID-19 must stand down from matches (it's grand final time)

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Nope, you heard right. All 3 ODIs v NZ to be played “behind closed doors”.
Rest of the tour called off, Kiwis flying home before travel bans there kick in.
Poms pulled out of Sri Lanka tour as well. Aus Women tour to South Africa canned as well.

Reactions: 1 user

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Just finished bingeing The Test in 2 days. Fantastic doco. I feel a bit better towards Langer although I still think he focuses too much on hard work as the primary factor in selection over talent. And of course Tim Paine came across as the hero we needed.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Shane Warne. He's a real enigma. Can have the most fascinating insights into the game, his commentary when on is generally first class. But he also lets himself down with stuff like the comments about Steve Waugh. Didn't watch the recent Howie series, assumed it would simply be an indulgent Warne being fawned over for a week. Would be interested to get feedback from those that did watch it.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Quite amazing really.
We are 2-1 down in a four-Test series which we were expected to win or at least draw to retain the trophy.
Warne has taken 2/268 in three Tests.
He gets dropped for the last game and we win the Test.
Maybe Warne could argue that he had the runs on the board but you cannot dispute that the right call was made with the desired result.
Imagine the flak Waugh would have copped had Warne not been dropped, we lose, and he gets 0 for plenty.

Warne is Trump-esque in his capacity to spout nonsense and expect people to believe it.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Quite amazing really.
We are 2-1 down in a four-Test series which we were expected to win or at least draw to retain the trophy.
Warne has taken 2/268 in three Tests.
He gets dropped for the last game and we win the Test.
Maybe Warne could argue that he had the runs on the board but you cannot dispute that the right call was made with the desired result.
Imagine the flak Waugh would have copped had Warne not been dropped, we lose, and he gets 0 for plenty.

Warne is Trump-esque in his capacity to spout nonsense and expect people to believe it.
I think I read that MacGill had 17 wickets for the series. I think also i have posted before but Warne sooking on the jungle show is great viewing, especially when asked by an innocent on how they went in the test that he was dropped for and he said, yeah they won (or something like that).

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Waugh played it well with his comments: “
“People keep saying it’s a feud,” Waugh told Nine Papers. “But to me, a feud’s between two people. I’ve never brought into it, so it’s just one person. “His comments are a reflection of himself, nothing to do with me,” he said. “That’s all I’d say.”

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
I enjoyed it but I like Warne and enjoy his opinions on cricket.

As for his stuff on Steve Waugh, he says he is the most selfish cricketer he played with. He's not saying he wasn't a good player, in fact he has selected him in best ever Australian sides. He is just saying he was a selfish player and people interpret that as a criticism when it is not really the case.

If someone came out and said Kevin Bartlett was the most selfish footballer he played with would anyone bat an eyelid?
Depends how you say it and how often you say it. Warne says it very often and with great venom.

Reactions: 1 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I think I read that MacGill had 17 wickets for the series. I think also i have posted before but Warne sooking on the jungle show is great viewing, especially when asked by an innocent on how they went in the test that he was dropped for and he said, yeah they won (or something like that).
MacGill took 12/352 for the series and had 7/220 before the last Test. Not a whole lot better actually and given their respective reputations, it's an interesting choice.
Warne was replaced by Colin Miller who took 3/66 for the Test.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
MacGill took 12/352 for the series and had 7/220 before the last Test. Not a whole lot better actually and given their respective reputations, it's an interesting choice.
Warne was replaced by Colin Miller who took 3/66 for the Test.
Cheers 23

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Peter Siddle to play for Tassie for the next 2 seasons.

• Sad

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Perfectly set up for the last day, England leading by 170 with two wickets in hand. Pitch is doing a little bit but still pretty decent.

As I noted when they beat England in the Caribbean last year, there is a quiet renaissance happening in West Indies cricket. No superstars yet, but Holder is a terrific, smart, all-round cricketer and leader getting better. Gabriel is a big, tall, strong, fast bowler who takes wickets in clumps, Roach is the best bowler to left-handers in the world, and Joseph is a promising young quick. Chase bowls some handy offies while also playing a steady hand in the middle order. They bat all the way down, without having a genuine star quality batsman. They are a disciplined, hardworking mob as opposed to the brilliance and flair of their heyday, but it's nice to see them competitive again.

Reactions: 4 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Reckon the windies can chase 200, if Brathwaite holds up an end, and the others bat around him.
Plenty of holes in the Poms top 7, both openers & Denly good for 30 and out, only Stokes is test quality, with Root out.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Perfectly set up for the last day, England leading by 170 with two wickets in hand. Pitch is doing a little bit but still pretty decent.

As I noted when they beat England in the Caribbean last year, there is a quiet renaissance happening in West Indies cricket. No superstars yet, but Holder is a terrific, smart, all-round cricketer and leader getting better. Gabriel is a big, tall, strong, fast bowler who takes wickets in clumps, Roach is the best bowler to left-handers in the world, and Joseph is a promising young quick. Chase bowls some handy offies while also playing a steady hand in the middle order. They bat all the way down, without having a genuine star quality batsman. They are a disciplined, hardworking mob as opposed to the brilliance and flair of their heyday, but it's nice to see them competitive again.

I agree they aren't the easy beats they have been over the last 10 years. I watched a bit of the game yesterday and I'm pretty sure they said Holder is rated the best all rounder in the world which I wouldn't be surprised about. He now has a bowling attack around him that can support him and allow Holder to be a strike bowler rather than having to lead the attack like he's had to over the last 5 years. Agree on their batting too, relatively defensive but disciplined and seem to value their wickets.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Reckon the windies can chase 200, if Brathwaite holds up an end, and the others bat around him.
Plenty of holes in the Poms top 7, both openers & Denly good for 30 and out, only Stokes is test quality, with Root out.

Probably a bit harsh on the openers, particularly Sibley. I reckon he will be a good player. I think Burns is a stop gap. Denly I totally agree with, he's not good enough at test level and at 34 I'd be surprised if they continued to perserve. For what he provides I'd prefer to get games into a young player. Crawley looks like he will be good IMO, add Root and Stokes with Pope (also a good young player that I think will become a good test batsmen) then there is enough there for the short to medium term.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I read somewhere that we haven't played the Windies in a test series for 6 years or something like that and not much less for ODI's. We used to play them all the time.