Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Probably a bit harsh on the openers, particularly Sibley. I reckon he will be a good player. I think Burns is a stop gap. Denly I totally agree with, he's not good enough at test level and at 34 I'd be surprised if they continued to perserve. For what he provides I'd prefer to get games into a young player. Crawley looks like he will be good IMO, add Root and Stokes with Pope (also a good young player that I think will become a good test batsmen) then there is enough there for the short to medium term.
There's a few holes in Sibley's technique good bowlers will exploit, haven't seen much of Pope or Crawley, Buttler poor, would rather Foakes.
Archer being found out a bit too.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I read somewhere that we haven't played the Windies in a test series for 6 years or something like that and not much less for ODI's. We used to play them all the time.
The last time we played West Indies in a Test series was 2015/16 in Australia.
The last time we played them in 5-Test series was 2000/01 in Australia where we won 5-0 and the margins were an innings and 126, an innings an 27, 5 wickets, 352 runs, and 6 wickets.
From that series on, we are 21-1 and four draws.
The last time they beat us was at St Johns in 2003, by 3 wickets.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Probably a bit harsh on the openers, particularly Sibley. I reckon he will be a good player. I think Burns is a stop gap. Denly I totally agree with, he's not good enough at test level and at 34 I'd be surprised if they continued to perserve. For what he provides I'd prefer to get games into a young player. Crawley looks like he will be good IMO, add Root and Stokes with Pope (also a good young player that I think will become a good test batsmen) then there is enough there for the short to medium term.
England,s team selection is an odd one.
With Root, Stokes and the fast bowlers its the nucleus of a top3 team. But Ando and Broad are done.
So do they prepare for a new generation built around Archer?
It doesnt seem like the selectors know what to do,ie the depth isnt there nor is the young talent. Just drifting along

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
England,s team selection is an odd one.
With Root, Stokes and the fast bowlers its the nucleus of a top3 team. But Ando and Broad are done.
So do they prepare for a new generation built around Archer?
It doesnt seem like the selectors know what to do,ie the depth isnt there nor is the young talent. Just drifting along

It does feel like that a bit. I don't think Anderson or Broad are done yet, but they won't be there for much longer. I can see what they are doing with both, having some experience to lead an inexperienced bowling attack. I think there are more younger bowlers than batters coming through. I like Sam Curran, Tom Curran is ok too (but probably more limited overs). I think they want that experienced bowler and whilst Mark Wood is 30 he's only played 16 tests.

I'm not sure why Johnny Bairstow is not batting, he's the right age group for this group, and whilst his technique looks uncomfortable, he generally gets the job done in the middle order.

The depth of batsmen for me is the biggest question for England at the moment.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
England 3 for 100.
Lots of no-names for the poms, though you might know them mr P but it will be all on Root in the 2nd innings

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
England 3 for 100.
Lots of no-names for the poms, though you might know them mr P but it will be all on Root in the 2nd innings

Its a young team, probably one of the youngest England have had in a long time. 3/207 though apparently the pitch is very slow.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Sibley is the kind of opener you want when your middle order is fragile. He sells his wicket dearly. He's tedious to watch though, and hardly aesthetic - some might say ugly. But he makes runs. Almost all of them through the legside. Zero offside game. It means he refuses to nick off, one of the main modes of dismissal for a top-order batsman, but makes him painful to watch. Like Steve Smith without talent or fluidity. Or a cover drive.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Sho
Sibley is the kind of opener you want when your middle order is fragile. He sells his wicket dearly. He's tedious to watch though, and hardly aesthetic - some might say ugly. But he makes runs. Almost all of them through the legside. Zero offside game. It means he refuses to nick off, one of the main modes of dismissal for a top-order batsman, but makes him painful to watch. Like Steve Smith without talent or fluidity. Or a cover drive.
Showed his dismissals last night, consistently caught off the hip or flicking to the leg side. He'd be pretty easy to dry up.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

Yeh he'd give you the *smile* as the bowling side. Looks very average but hard to remove. PLayed with guys like that, and with others that tore apart everyone in the nets and averaged high teens/low 20's whilst looking like Brian Lara.

I see Root went out to a full ball again, watch how poor his footwork is. He is possibly the worst batsman I've seen average high 40's in test cricket. Why bowlers often feed his back foot play is crazy. Full and straight and you'll eventually get him, he just never gets forward.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/cri...ot-dismissed-for-23/ckcpafsqd006l0go07x6o7dv1

Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Its a young team, probably one of the youngest England have had in a long time. 3/207 though apparently the pitch is very slow.
Good recovery from 3/100. It couldve gone downhill from there.
A slow pitch will bore everyone out

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yeh he'd give you the *smile* as the bowling side. Looks very average but hard to remove. PLayed with guys like that, and with others that tore apart everyone in the nets and averaged high teens/low 20's whilst looking like Brian Lara.
Substitute Mark Waugh for Brian Lara and I resemble that remark. (I had better pull and hook shots but his cuts and cover drives had me covered. Off the pads though, identical. :p )

I see Root went out to a full ball again, watch how poor his footwork is. He is possibly the worst batsman I've seen average high 40's in test cricket. Why bowlers often feed his back foot play is crazy. Full and straight and you'll eventually get him, he just never gets forward.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/cri...ot-dismissed-for-23/ckcpafsqd006l0go07x6o7dv1
Yep, guys like Cummins and Hazlewood must lick their lips. Holder too, he's very good at bowling full and getting it to leave the batsman just enough.

It was always how to get Steve Waugh out as well, yet bowlers broke their backs trying to bounce him because he looked uncomfortable against it.

Nassar Hussein did a good breakdown of Root's back and across and how it's changed since he was making runs for fun a few years ago - basically that his trigger movement now leaves him with too wide a base, with his weight on his heels, unable to get any forward momentum. Compare with Smith, who has a pronounced back and across but still gets all his weight forward when the ball's full.