Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Disgrace Tooheys.

Deserted the Test Captain who led us with composure, confidence and calmness when we had no-one else in our darkest hour.

Not to mention his quality on the field (sits in the arguement as our second best keeper batsman - perhaps Marsh gets him for longevity).

Been tried for the same crime twice.
I can understand him standing down. There must be a lot going on in his heads.

I think part of the problem is that he wasnt seen to be "tried" the first time around. While it was an incredibly dumb thing for Paine to do, both as a married man, and as a professional sports person, i really dont know where i think his punishment, if any should have sat.
But both CA and Cricket Tasmania made the mistake of covering it up when they first investigated. While i get the privacy reasons, sporting organisations always appear to think they can make problems go away- especially when the problem involves men doing stupid men things. the fact these organisations are run by men just amplifies the terrible look.

Reactions: 3 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
It's a terrible way for the career of a guy who's done so much good for the Australian team to have his career end like this.
Absolute debacle by the ACB/CA.

I feel very sorry for him, given it was supposed to be done and dusted. He's clearly going through a lot.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Disgrace Tooheys.

Deserted the Test Captain who led us with composure, confidence and calmness when we had no-one else in our darkest hour.

Not to mention his quality on the field (sits in the arguement as our second best keeper batsman - perhaps Marsh gets him for longevity).

Been tried for the same crime twice.
Healy laps him, twice.

Agree with the abandonment, but as proved by reviews, sending the Poms in and dik picks, not the greatest decision maker.

Cummins spoke well in his presser. Calm head, will give Smith the reins at times in the field, probably when he's at fine leg during a spell.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Shocking decision to send Young packing by the local ump.
Latham tried to review but was a second late.
Ball staying low, kiwis realistically no chance.
Gavaskar is a *smile*, not mentioning the crap decision just bagging the batsman for taking too long to review it. It was a *smile* decision from a local ump.
Watch for another 5or6 lbw”s tomorrow.

royce67

Tiger Rookie
Jun 4, 2008
Hobart
Gavaskar is a *smile*, not mentioning the crap decision just bagging the batsman for taking too long to review it. It was a *smile* decision from a local ump.
Yeah, great comeback by the Indian lower order and that is a wonderful declaration. Sunny is a bit of an enigma for me and has been ever since the MCG walk off. Either a complete **** as you say or terrifically insightful. Maybe both, and a bit more?

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Yeah, great comeback by the Indian lower order and that is a wonderful declaration. Sunny is a bit of an enigma for me and has been ever since the MCG walk off. Either a complete **** as you say or terrifically insightful. Maybe both, and a bit more?
Yeh that about sums him up for me too.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

"The defining feature of the Tim Paine affair is that any bloke equipped with half a brain aged 13 and upwards can reflect on this idiotic episode and respond with an apt three-letter acronym: WTF?

Do people even do this?

I mean, people clearly do this. Tim Paine did it. His brother-in-law has also been accused of the same thing. Quite a few NRL players have done it. It happened at the St Kilda Football Club in that strangely homoerotic episode a few years back. It’s also happened in the NFL in the US.

Even a few politicians have come unstuck doing it, most memorably the aptly named Anthony Weiner, who ended his career as a Democrat politician with a series of salacious texts.

Despite all this evidence to the contrary, I return to the question. Who does this? Please tell me it doesn’t actually happen. How is this even “a thing”, as the young people would say?"

This particular section quoted above sums up my thoughts. Leaving aside the inevitable moral discussions that come up. I just look at the whole phenomenon of sexting and *smile*-picks with head scratching befuddlement. And not like I'm of the pre-tech generation either. I'm of a similar vintage to the likes of Paine and (his brother in law) Shannon Tubb.

Reactions: 1 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk

"The defining feature of the Tim Paine affair is that any bloke equipped with half a brain aged 13 and upwards can reflect on this idiotic episode and respond with an apt three-letter acronym: WTF?

Do people even do this?

I mean, people clearly do this. Tim Paine did it. His brother-in-law has also been accused of the same thing. Quite a few NRL players have done it. It happened at the St Kilda Football Club in that strangely homoerotic episode a few years back. It’s also happened in the NFL in the US.

Even a few politicians have come unstuck doing it, most memorably the aptly named Anthony Weiner, who ended his career as a Democrat politician with a series of salacious texts.

Despite all this evidence to the contrary, I return to the question. Who does this? Please tell me it doesn’t actually happen. How is this even “a thing”, as the young people would say?"

This particular section quoted above sums up my thoughts. Leaving aside the inevitable moral discussions that come up. I just look at the whole phenomenon of sexting and *smile*-picks with head scratching befuddlement. And not like I'm of the pre-tech generation either. I'm of a similar vintage to the likes of Paine and (his brother in law) Shannon Tubb.
This has been my reaction too.
There was an article by a woman journalist in The Age describing the phenomenon and the underlying message is that barely a month would go by in her adult life without her receiving one.
I think that professional athletes are taught how to behave on social media. But I suspect what is left out is the fact that anything you type in or upload on an electrical device these days is something that you have lost control of FOREVER. No exceptions. Don't believe any of the idiotic fake facebook disclaimers and the like. I'd like to think that if you had the chance to tell Tim Paine that just before he sent the text, he might not have done it.

Reactions: 1 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
5 LBW's Kiwi's 8/151, 11 overs left.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
5 LBW's Kiwi's 8/151, 11 overs left.
I’ve been watching it and every one of them was out, no doubt. Ball was keeping so low and the pitch was so slow that the only way to get anyone out was lbw and bowled, especially since the kiwis weren’t playing any shots.

They held on in the end with a couple of Indian heritage kiwis playing out the last 8-9 overs which was a bit ironic.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
I’ve been watching it and every one of them was out, no doubt. Ball was keeping so low and the pitch was so slow that the only way to get anyone out was lbw and bowled, especially since the kiwis weren’t playing any shots.

They held on in the end with a couple of Indian heritage kiwis playing out the last 8-9 overs which was a bit ironic.
Yeh the kiwis didn’t review until the 9th wicket so other than the opener they must have all been correct. I saw Jamieson and Southee and they were plumb.
Gripping finish played in good spirits. Competitive but fair, both teams handled themselves well.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Only cricket could start so late on a day that they lose time at the end off the day due to poor light.

Reactions: 2 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Only cricket could start so late on a day that they lose time at the end off the day due to poor light.
I think cricket, Test cricket in particular, needs to have a serious re-think about its daylight related playing conditions if it is to have a future.
I remember a Test a few years ago - can't remember the specific year. It was a highly anticipated match and the first day was completely washed out. Massive disappointment. The second day was beautiful and sunny and out they go to play. 1.00 rolls around and they go off for lunch. 40 minutes off the field at 1.00 pm which is technically the high-point of the day sun and light-wise. I thought to myself, how stupid is this? And it is a sport where, by definition, 9 of the 22 players are off the field ALL THE TIME!
I don't know all the answers, and it's quite possible that the same two batsmen have been out there for those two hours and they need a rest. But they must be able to think up some more flexible playing conditions.

Reactions: 4 users