Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
England are 3/259 needing another 119 runs to defeat India.

Their new aggressive style under Kiwi coach Brendon McCullum was on full display with their openers putting on a opening partnership of 107 off 21 overs.

Chasing 378, it's great to seem them playing test cricket in such a positive way, they're now afraid of not winning instead of being afraid of losing.

Virat Kohli's demise continues averaging just 28 in his last 17 test matches, his average is now under 50. It would give me a lot of joy if he retires with an average below 50. He's one on the best batsmen I've seen, but is such an entitled schmuck.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
England are 3/259 needing another 119 runs to defeat India.

Their new aggressive style under Kiwi coach Brendon McCullum was on full display with their openers putting on a opening partnership of 107 off 21 overs.

Chasing 378, it's great to seem them playing test cricket in such a positive way, they're now afraid of not winning instead of being afraid of losing.

Virat Kohli's demise continues averaging just 28 in his last 17 test matches, his average is now under 50. It would give me a lot of joy if he retires with an average below 50. He's one on the best batsmen I've seen, but is such an entitled schmuck.
Yeh, I watched a fair bit and they are super aggressive. As you suggest it is great for test cricket in general. Unbelievable that they are going to do it again. Root gives me the *smile*, I'll never understand the way most fast bowlers attack him. He's the worst best player I've ever seen in relation to shots and style. But his record is commanding. I'd love to know the % of runs he scores from point to 3rd man.

The track wasn't playing any tricks, the Indians clearly thought they had enough runs with some poor batting. They had the chance to bat England out of the game. It is fantastic for test cricket and perhaps we are seeing the benefit of test cricketers playng 50 over and 20/20 matches.

Kohli seems to have lost his appetite for the game. Disagree on the entritled schmuck bit, he's almost single handedly lifted Indian cricket to where it is, I've loved the way he plays, loved his attitude. Yeh he's crossed the line at times (mostly in disputing umpire decisions for me) but his combative nature has been great. The Indians no longer get bullied by anyone.

Test cricket right now is in the best place its been for years IMO. If only the WI could get a strong side together again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Yeh, I watched a fair bit and they are super aggressive. As you suggest it is great for test cricket in general. Unbelievable that they are going to do it again. Root gives me the *smile*, I'll never understand the way most fast bowlers attack him. He's the worst best player I've ever seen in relation to shots and style. But his rtecord is commanding. I'd love to know how the % of runs he scores from point to 3rd man.

The track wasn't playing any tricks, the Indians clearly thought they had enough runs with some poor batting. They had the chance to bat England out of the game. It is fantastic for test cricket and perhaps we are seeing the benefit of test cricketers playng 50 over and 20/20 matches.

Kohli seems to have lost his appetite for the game. Disagree on the entritled schmuck bit, he's almost single handedly lifted Indian cricket to where it is, I've loved the way he plays, loved his attitude. Yeh he's crossed the line at times (mostly in disputing umpire decisions for me) but his combative nature has been great. The Indians no longer get bullied by anyone.

Test cricket right now is in the best place its been for years IMO. If only the WI could get a strong side together again.
Yes Kohli has done a lot for Indian cricket in changing their mindset. As I mentioned, he's one of the best batsmen I've seen.
It's just his in your face, carry on in the field that annoys me, much the same as Warner's did too.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Is this what pride in your team feels like?? I haven't felt this for a good 10 years haha.

Its great to see the aggression but more so, the openers. Lees has at times been too defensive but looks so much better playing aggressively, harsh on him the way he was run out, inside edge towards the stumps, missed the stumps but he was watching where it went, he looks up and Roots halfway down the wicket running at him so he had to run and was run out by some margin.

Good to see that inning by Crawley, yesterday I mentioned that he needed to improve on his shot selection as he's been out far too often flashing at the wrong ball outside off and getting thick edges. In the main part he was very disciplined, they kept probing that line, but he was disciplined and let many of them go, and he then targeted the poor balls, the ones on the pads and the overpitched ones, very encouraging. Unfortunately was doing this so much, he left one outside off he should have defended and got bowled.

I went to sleep just after tea, at the time it looked like England were imploding, but great to see that Root and Bairstow played well again. If we can see more of what we've seen from the openers in this innings, they need to consistently apply this, then maybe we are seeing a turnaround in Englands fortunes.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yes Kohli has done a lot for Indian cricket in changing their mindset. As I mentioned, he's one of the best batsmen I've seen.
It's just his in your face, carry on in the field that annoys me, much the same as Warner's did too.

He doesn't get pulled up on it either. A bowler slightly strays with a foot onto the wicket and he's warned about running on the wicket. India get someone out and he wants to be in their face so runs all over the wicket carrying on like a pork chop and the umpires say nothing to him. If it was anyone but Kohli I would think it was just celebrating, but with it being Kohli the way he is, I wouldn't put it past him that he was trying to break the wicket up by running all over it but making it look like bravado.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
He doesn't get pulled up on it either. A bowler slightly strays with a foot onto the wicket and he's warned about running on the wicket. India get someone out and he wants to be in their face so runs all over the wicket carrying on like a pork chop and the umpires say nothing to him. If it was anyone but Kohli I would think it was just celebrating, but with it being Kohli the way he is, I wouldn't put it past him that he was trying to break the wicket up by running all over it but making it look like bravado.
Yes, his antics are way over the top, and are not a good example to young cricketers.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yes, his antics are way over the top, and are not a good example to young cricketers.

Its not even the antics as such, but its the way he does it. I like seeing different personalities on the sports fields, I liked Ginnivan earlier in the year after the game, had no problem with Shai showing the ball etc, but its when there is something more sinister happening to try and gain a benefit I don't like it. Both wickets after tea yesterday, Kohli did what other cricketers don't do.

On the Lees run out, all the other Indians ran to celebrate with the fielder who through the ball towards the stumps, Kohli didn't, he ran across the pitch and celebrated by himself.
On the Pope dismissal, all the other Indians ran to congratulate Bumrah, Kohli didn't, he ran all over the pitch and celebrated by himself.

There is something not right in letting a player run all over the pitch to celebrate away from the rest of his team and not assume that theres not something untoward going on.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Its not even the antics as such, but its the way he does it. I like seeing different personalities on the sports fields, I liked Ginnivan earlier in the year after the game, had no problem with Shai showing the ball etc, but its when there is something more sinister happening to try and gain a benefit I don't like it. Both wickets after tea yesterday, Kohli did what other cricketers don't do.

On the Lees run out, all the other Indians ran to celebrate with the fielder who through the ball towards the stumps, Kohli didn't, he ran across the pitch and celebrated by himself.
On the Pope dismissal, all the other Indians ran to congratulate Bumrah, Kohli didn't, he ran all over the pitch and celebrated by himself.

There is something not right in letting a player run all over the pitch to celebrate away from the rest of his team and not assume that theres not something untoward going on.
Yeah, He’s always done that annoying thing where he goes and raises his arms/fists to opposition crowd, like he’s taunting them. Tool.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

Hopefully that's what the umpire chatted to him about, if it wasn't, it should've been.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Well played England, they demolished India getting the 378 runs off 76 overs:clap2

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Aussies making a mess of the second test v. Sri Lanka.
It’s always amazing when one side makes it look so easy then the opposition gets in and there’s a complete turnaround.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
It never ceases to amaze me that Aussie cricket is happy to adopt a "horses for courses" policy to pick a second spinner on the subcontinent, yet they continue to pick a leaden-footed walking wicket like Head. Maxwell is a thousand times better player of spin.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
It never ceases to amaze me that Aussie cricket is happy to adopt a "horses for courses" policy to pick a second spinner on the subcontinent, yet they continue to pick a leaden-footed walking wicket like Head. Maxwell is a thousand times better player of spin.
5, 12 and 6. Not good reading.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Green needs to take the long handle to them, just stalling the inevitable if they both try to block it out.