Daily Player reviews #11 Joel Bowden | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Daily Player reviews #11 Joel Bowden

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Part 11 in the series….

11 - Joel Bowden

Position: Midfielder (Wingman)
Height: 188 cm
Weight: 90 kg
Career Games: 127
Career Goals: 120
Draft History: Selected under Father-Son rule in 1995 National Draft, the good ol' days where you didn't have to burn a selection, just sign the forms, and tack him on the end.

2002 Averages: 22 Games, 15.1 Kicks, 5.7 Marks, 7.8 Handballs, 0.82 Goals, 2.9 Tackles, 2.7 Rebounds, 4.7 Inside 50s, 3.2 Clearance, 2.6 Clangers

2002 Summary: Finished 4th in the best and fairest and had a pretty consistently good year without really reaching great heights and some games where he racked up the stats but had little positive influence. Never less than 17 possessions in any of the 22 games, 14 times 20 or better, 4 times over 30. Big numbers but the question marks over his effectiveness and accountability were there throughout the season. Of interest, he lead the club in total numbers of Kicks and Inside 50's (next was 27 behind) and then was 2nd in total Marks, Handballs, Tackles and Clearances (Equal with Coughlan & Ottens), Also managed to be third in total rebounds and fifth in total goals. That's a lot of very good, but maybe not enough "great". So often his numbers were diluted with poor defensive efforts , overly "cute" disposals and lairising or long bombs to nowhere. Did show tremendous running ability - his average number of rebounds combined with inside 50's puts him up in the top 10 in the league. I thought he did push the football forward more often than in the past couple of years with less cheap kicks down back (though still quite a few of them) but I thought he ended up wider, more open and in less dangerous spots.

Previously: Finished 4th in the Best & Fairest in 2001, 3rd in 2000 when he kicked a career high 26 goals. Averaged 20+ Disposals in 2001 & 2000, 19 in 99, 17 in 98 & 97. Hasn't missed a game since returning from a shoulder injury Round 5 1998. Made a big impact as a Teenager and while progressing steadily hasn't probably hit the high marks Tiger fans seem to expect. Impressed me as a Teenager with his ability to win contested football in close and showed a hardness that seemed to disappear once he went through his shoulder problems. I remember being rapt that I thought we'd at last found a big strong centre square presence and devastated when he did his shoulder. Has consistently been within the top 3-4 players at Richmond but never really made the step to an "elite" player. The same criticisms of Bowden have pretty much been there through his entire career but also the ability to be a genuine quality player and potential match-winner has also been there.

Ability: 8 - Without doubt one of the most talented players at Tigerland and certainly closer to the best than the average guys.

Offence: 7 - Has the ability to kick goals from outside 50 which makes him very dangerous up forward. Good at making space in the forward line and can mark effectively inside 50. Loses marks for the ability to miss shots he should nail with a well below average efficiency rate with shots at goal which is very disappointing for a player of his ability.

Defence: 4 - Not a complete hack in a run-with role, but in general lacks accountability. Another who pushes back into defence pretty well, is often the guy who runs into space to take the reliving kick.

Hardness: 3 - Well below average. I have no doubt that Bowden's shoulder problems have left him a different type of player than what he was going to be and to me he still seems a bit gun-shy. It's been over four years now - I wish he'd get over it.

Speed: 5.5 - No sprint champion, but can be deceptively quick at times.

Stamina: 8 - Well above average in this department, Bowden is improving every year and is heading towards becoming one of the competitions best runners.

Delivery: 6 - Surprisingly, overall I rate Bowden as having above average disposal. Admittedly can miss the target badly at times, but then again has many more opportunities than most to muck the disposal up. Has a bad habit of over-kicking at times and tries way too often to be overly cute with the ball. Will hook the ball badly at times as well. But on the positive side, will regularly spot a target very well over 40-50m and over. Has a worryingly long time from hand to foot at times.

....cont

Air: 7 - A lot better than he looks in the air, is reasonably sound overhead and has the ability to out mark similar sized opponents regularly. Rarely drops what he should take, but body contact can make him vulnerable.

Ground: 6.5 - Rarely fumbles and is solid without maybe being spectacularly clean. Not great in close and can struggle when under close physical checking.

Injury: 6.5 - Hard one to mark, on one hand he hasn't missed a game in years, on the other hand he suffered two bad shoulder injuries early in his career. You'd have to say well above average and rising, but those early one's cost him points.

Ruck: 3 - Not a Ruckman's butt really, but quite capable of competing against other non-ruckmen and will hold his own against them.

Temperament: 5.5 - Squeaks in above average but some concerns over his attitude towards other players. The fact he's failed to address some lingering concerns and continues with overly cute stuff makes me question his "coachability".

Ball: 9 - Without a doubt one of the leagues top ball winners, or should that be receivers? Bit of both. Can win plenty of his own football, and has a great ability to create space to receive football - which is a skill in itself.

Strengths: Exceptionally good at creating space, great stamina, can kick long goals and is able to "cross the lines" with his long kicking. Does read the football well and can make clearances through smart play.

Weaknesses: Similar to his strengths - stays off his opponent too often at times, is a 50-50 shot at goal, will bomb the footy to nowhere at times. Lacks a bit of "Bash & Crash" and will struggle in close or under strong body pressure.

Overall: I think Joel Bowden is a very, very good footballer, but in my eye's he falls just short of the elite level. In a lot of ways his career has mirror images in Campbell's with one big exception. They are both very hard running highly skilled midfielders who have had a lot of critics, win a lot of football, have question marks over "hardness", accountability and efficiency but Campbell has worked a lot harder to overcome his deficiencies while Joel seems to carry them with him like a badge of honour. Never met him so I'm in pure speculation mode here (nothing new there), and from all accounts seems like a good bloke, but I get the feeling he's got a fair sized ego and not someone prone to self analysis - probably wouldn't think he has weaknesses to work on being more likely to look to improve his strengths and I doubt he'd understand why he gets the level of criticism he does. The biggest criticism would be his disposal but in fairness one of the reasons he makes those mistakes are because he gets more opportunity to, has a habit of hooking his kicks and has a terrible wind-up when he kicks which I think often takes him from clear to pressured. Would love to know how often he gets smothered or run down from behind - probably only just a few less than Ray Hall. For all that, I rate him in our top half dozen and a lot of his critics are probably frustrated fans who think he should be one of the best in the competition. Maybe the reality is he's not and never will be. If he is going to take the next step you would think 2003 would be the time. Is a borderline top-50 player in the Comp and on his day can be a match-winner for all his deficiencies is one that realistically we should be very happy to have at Richmond.

What he needs to do?
1) Forget the cute stuff and return to ensuring he gets the basics right first.
2) Work on his hand to foot delivery - it's too slow and looks to be a technical deficiency that hurts his disposal skills.
3) Get some extra strength in the body and be prepared to use it - he's a pretty big unit and could use it a bit more.
4) Acknowledge and work on his weaknesses.

A very good assessment of Joel, OMH. He would be up there as our most talented player. Apart from his occasional laspes into laziness (which he deserves to get bagged for) I think, like Campo, Joel cops unfair criticism from our own supporters as they both are forced to carry the side in the midfield due to the previous lack of inside midfielders. Hopefully now with Cogs, Johnson and Rodan getting the ball and feeding it out of pack situations and ball-ups, Joel will be able to get on the end of the ball fed out and deliver precisely to our forwards and kick quite a few more goals himself.

Forget the cute stuff and return to ensuring he gets the basics right first.

If there was one and only one thing I would get Joel to do to improve his game and take it to the elite level it's this. His lairising and laziness at times costs us goals (both for and against). The classic examples were his games against Adelaide and Hawthorn in 2001 (where he marked 35m out from goal and instead of going back to take the kick, he tried to run around the guy on the mark and coughed up the ball :p) and this year playing on from the kick-outs and getting himself into all sorts of trouble. He's got to learn to concentrate for the whole game and to not take any possession for granted (especially the easy ones :mad: ). Think man THINK!...ha!

The time's here for Joel to really deliver. He's skillful, he can run all day.
I think he'll benefit from the new midfielders we've drafted taking a bit of attention away from him.
Get rid of the laziness Joel, make every posession count and we'll be premiers.
He's so close and yet so far from being one of the really elite players in the league.
A really top game by Joel can win a game for Richmond, and I think that's a pretty rare thing in our team.
(P.S. Danny, unless things have changed dramatically please don't play Joel on Hird, ha.)
Go Joel, time to lift a notch.

For all that, I rate him in our top half dozen and a lot  of his critics are probably frustrated fans who think he should be one of the best in the competition.

I don't know who your friend is OMH, but he's right on the money there.

Pretty good assesment.

I do know Joel personally, and he is a very nice bloke and not at all a big head. His family are pretty salt of the earth and would bring him straight back to earth.

Has more ability than most players in the AFL but a lack of genuine pace hurts Joel a bit.

He is clearly a player that doesn't relish the physical stuff although before he broke his collarbone he was quite hard at the man and contest - as was mentioned "gun shy".

A big year for Joel (looked in top nick at the intra club), and with the support that should come from Kane Johnson and Justin Blumfield, I think Joel will cut some teams to pieces.

Go Joel

Look