Daily Player reviews #15 Leon Cameron | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Daily Player reviews #15 Leon Cameron

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Part 15 in the series….

15 - Leon Cameron

Position: Half Back
Height: 185cm
Weight: 84kg
Career Games: 235 ( 63 at Richmond)
Career Goals: 92 ( 24 at Richmond)
Draft History: Selected No 7 in the 1988 National Draft by the Doggies, Traded to Richmond for selections 37 & 66 in the 1999 National Draft.

2002 Averages: 19 Games, 9.7 Kicks, 3.1 Marks, 4.8 Handballs, 0.1 Goals, 1.2 Tackles, 2 Rebounds, 3.1 Inside 50s, 1.1 Clearance, 1.7 Clangers
Stat Fact: Cameron is one of only 4 Listed Tigers in the "Red" with his goals to behinds over his career. He has 92-121. The others are Coughlan 8-9, Fiora 12-17 & Vardy 1-3. Interesting for a guy with such a reputation for his kicking.

2002 Summary: Disappointing year for Cameron after a great 2001. Was good early (IMHO) though and was going along pretty well until injury caught him up and he missed rounds 9-11. One exception to that early run was his game against Essendon where he constantly picked out Bombers with pin-point passes. I thought I must have either drunk way too much beer or entered an opposite parallel universe and was watching the "Evil" Leon Cameron. Pre-Injury he was averaging 17.4 possessions per game as opposed to 12.4 afterwards. He never seemed to get 100% fit after that and gathered a fair bit of bench time. It should be pointed out that his kicking yips though had been well and truly on display in those first 8 games and I was doubtful he was actually fully fit then. Kicked only 2 goals 10 behinds for the year (both goals pre-injury). Standout games for the year were probably against Collingwood first up, Melbourne, Sydney & Essendon (2nd match). A number of other reasonable games but a fair few shockers. Still reasonably reliable as the designated "kicker" from a behind, but even that went astray a bit. Still finished 10th overall for disposals, 5th for inside 50s, 8th for total kicks and equal 9th for Rebounds. Figures that probably show a bad year without being shocking for Cameron in a bad year for the Tigers.

Previously: Was a sensation in 2001, played every game, averaging over 19 possessions per game and kicked 19 goals for the year. Finished 3rd in the B&F. This followed on a good "Debut" year for the Tiges where he was more than solid, averaging over 17 touches using the ball in a way that confused Richmond Supporters (i.e. It went to one of our blokes usually) and finished 5th in the B&F. Beautiful foot skills were what really marked his first two years at Richmond as it had at the Doggies where he won a B&F back in 93.

Ability: 7 - Well above average, has class, poise and quality skills under pressure.
Offence: 6 - Goal kicking has always been an achillis heel for him, but showed in 2001 he can go forward and make a real menace of himself where his creativity can set-up as well as finish.
Defence: 6 - Is primarily an "attacking defender" but shows discipline and accountability within the scope of the role he usually plays as one of guys required to get the footy from the Gaspar's and Co and deliver downfield.
Hardness: 4.5 - Plays a role where he's best out of the heavy stuff, but I wouldn't say he shirks it either. Will take the physical pressure applied to him, although can be knocked around a bit and not the sort to lay the crunching tackle or hip & shoulder.
Speed: 5 - I'd put him about average for an AFL player, though my memories of him as a Doggie was of a much quicker player. Age and injuries have probably put a dent in that speed but he's far from slow and the footy brain can make him appear even quicker.

Stamina: 5.5 - I wasn't real sure about this as although I'd never really questioned his stamina he was spending more time on the bench through 2002 which I put down to never fully recovering from the leg problems. Possibly is starting to struggle to run out games, but will watch with interest in 2003. Has probably never had the stamina of the elite midfielders.
Delivery: 8.5 - Is beautiful to watch kick off either foot, but can get it really wrong at times. Admittedly will push the envelope and targeted for pressure by opposition who know it's his job to deliver the footy. Amazing seems to "shin" the ball, a bit like my golf shanks. Not sure if that's a new thing, can't remember it in his repertoire pre-Richmond days.
Air: 4.5 - Wouldn't call him a great mark but is relatively safe when clear.
Ground: 6.5 - Good on the ground, but not real great at close-in stuff for loose football.
Injury: 5 - Seems to have struggled with injuries for a long time, but still managed 235 games. Missed a lot of footy in 96 (only 8 games) and regularly seems to miss a few each year. I get the feeling Leon plays with a lot more injuries than we know of.
Ruck: 0 - Remind me to reassess my categories! :)
Temperament: 9.5 - Seems a genuine leader on the ground and a total professional. Would appear to be a coaches dream.
Ball: 6.5 - Above average as a ball winner, but has never really reached the big numbers.

Strengths: Creative, has the ability to create space and the skills and football nous to use it. Excellent decision maker usually, good at kick-ins.

Weaknesses: Can struggle under close physical pressure (more in the getting rather than the using), injuries and what appears to be a diminishing running capacity are the major concerns.

Overall: I'm a big Cameron fan. Have I mentioned (maybe just a few times) I thought he never really seemed 100% fit last year and I tend to think it was an aberration for a player with hopefully two good seasons of AFL football left in him. Looks a genuine leader who plays the role of "backline captain" very well. Will never be the sort of player to crunch a pack or jump over that pack for the big speccy. Has probably not got much midfield time left in him (if at all) and it'll be a very big worry if his turnover rate continue as it did in 2002 as that's a real strength of his game. Strangely has had a career long case of the Yips in front of goal which throws some doubt on the prospect of him becoming a regular forward in a bid to prolong his career, but has the footy smarts to contribute wherever he plays. Creativity is a big factor in his game and possibly he pushes the edge a bit which results in turnovers but no doubt has the licence to do so.

What he needs to do?
1) Goal kicking practice - lots of it. We could squeeze another year or two out him maybe in a forward role, but not if he kicks 25.40
2) Watch a highlights tape of 2001 - remember it's only the previous season to last, not that far off!
3) Bring the turnovers under control - a worry when a strength starts to look like a weakness
4) Find out the patron saint of uninjured footballers and pray to him every day.

Leon was a Rolls Royce player in his heyday imo, and even if he can't emulate that standard this season I think he'll still be a class above most others in our team. (I expect Fiora to follow in Leons footsteps though.)
I feel safe when Leon takes the kickouts.
He has pace, poise, and skills rarely seen at Tigerland in recent history.
I'd love Leon to have always been at Richmond, but he probably wouldn't have reached the same standards if he had.