Daily Player reviews #14 Aaron Fiora | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Daily Player reviews #14 Aaron Fiora

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Part 14 in the series….

14 - Aaron Fiora

Position: Wingman / Half Back
Age: 21, turns 22 two days before our round 4 game v Saints.
Height: 186cm
Weight: 78kg
Career Games: 40
Career Goals: 12
Draft History: Taken Pick No 3 1999 National draft, what has shaped up as a pretty good draft (particularly top 20). While he looked a likely type I was still gnashing my teeth that we overlooked Pavlich (and a few others).

2002 Averages: 19 Games, 6.8 Kicks, 4.3 Marks, 5 Handballs, 0.2 Goals, 1.7 Tackles, 1.5 Rebounds, 2.1 Inside 50s, 1.1 Clearance, 1.9 Clangers

2002 Summary: Bit of a season of two half's for Fiora, first half disappointing, second half was a bit improvement. Was dropped after being a non-entity against the Dogs and spent two games down at Coburg where he earned a reprieve and got a career best 22 touches (including 9 marks) in his comeback game - that memorable one against Geelong. Did well off a back flank in the second half of the year. In the first half he averaged 9 disposals, 2.2 "Clangers", 1.3 rebounds, 1.6 Inside 50's. In the second half they all improved to 15 disposals, 1.6 "Clangers", 1.7 Rebounds, 2.6 Inside 50's (marks stayed about the same). Obviously with the season fading quicker he had more opportunities but a good sign of improvement. Impressed with his capabilities in the Air and his ability to run the footy through the lines and looked to have found a short-term niche off a half back flank (I don't think it'll be a permanent thing).

Previously: 2000 & 2001 were both very much development years for him and it showed. Played 7 games in 2000 with limited game time and around 4.5 possessions a game, creeping up to 7.5 from 14 games in 2001.

Ability: 6.5 - Above average ability in my eyes, but still along way to go. Does show touches of genuine class.
Offence: 5 - Has the weapons to be a good attacking player, when he was prepared to back himself became a much more damaging player
Defence: 6 - I might be rating him a bit high as above average, but he impressed me in the second half with his ability to negate a player and spoil when required.
Hardness: 4 - Not altogether that bad, but just doesn't have the body to be a "hard" player and possibly never will have. With time, strength and confidence he may well improve in this area as he doesn't look to really avoid it. Was far more prepared to put his body in to protect his team-mate and I can see this rating up around 6 or so in the next couple of years.

Speed: 7.5 - Looks genuinely quick - when he has the footy. Often looked lazy when he didn't. Something he needed to work on and another thing which did improve when he got his mid-season wake-up call.
Stamina: 5.5 - Does puff a bit towards the end of games, but never really seen him in a role that has taxed him enough to really call this one.
Delivery: 6 - Above average and improving. Remains one-sided but penetration is good on his left, has been a bit wayward at times which worried me.
Air: 6.5 - Surprisingly good in the air given his body size and one of the genuine weapons he has in his game.
Ground: 6.5 - Again above average, very capable with the ball at his feet and sure hands.
Injury: 8 - No real major injury concerns, given 40 games of senior footy with a still slight frame - good sign.
Ruck: 1 - I'm pretty sure I remember seeing him "trapped" in a contest once - it wasn't pretty.
Temperament: 7 - Hard to judge youngsters but he looks to have a very good temperament.
Ball: 5 - Currently an "average" ball winner, but if he keeps up his form from the last half of the season, then this is an area we can see improve.

Strengths: Has plenty of run and is good overhead. When he was prepared to back himself showed good poise with the footy and a penetrating left foot. Also was more prepared to spot a shorter option inside the corridor (which takes a bit of courage) as the season went on.

Weaknesses: Body shape is a bit of a worry and lacks strength in a contest. Has yet to really impose himself on matches.

Overall: I've often said I'm dirty on missing Pavlich with the pick we used for Fiora (still am) but I'm not unhappy with having Aaron at Richmond, had he been our second pick I'd probably be very pleased. has improved in each of his three years and especially in the last half of 2002 and if he can continue that level of improvement we have a good player on our hands, given his size was probably always going to take a season or two longer than most. Has the class, skill, balance & poise to combine with some quality "weapons" of speed and aerial ability. At this stage I think he's basically on track, although he is now coming up to his "coming of age" years and through 2003 and 2004 he really should establish himself within the top ten at Tigerland. The "sign" I'm most looking for is the standout Best on Ground. Plenty of guys can pick them up out of the blue, but for Fiora it's the step to show he can be better than average. My big concern is his body size, having met his father if he's any guide we shouldn't expect Fiora to fill out much more. I see him playing most of 2003 off a back flank but he looks to me like he'll push up onto the Wing and hopefully will end up an attacking wingman who has learnt a good defensive side of his game in these formative years.

What he needs to do?
1) Be prepared to back himself and continue to attack the footy.
2) Steak, Eggs, Pizza - I don't care - get some weight on - it's a long season and I wonder how he'll go with a full season of pounding at the top level.
3) Develop the right foot. He will start to get caught out as more notice is taken of him. He's no mug and it doesn't have to be as good as his left but he has to be able to use it.

I'm going for Fiora to be our most improved player this season, as he steps up from being a peripheral player to a player who can give some pace and skill to our team, and really make his presense felt.
He's taken a while to develop, but I suspect this will be his season to shine.
I think Aaron is top class, and I look forward to him becoming an elite player in our team.

I am with you on this one Rosy, probably mainly from the POV that I will crack it if another first rd draft pick turns out to be a dud.

Has got the attributes to cut teams to pieces.

He is at his best when he takes opposition on. Don't mind him getting caught every so often as long as he is having a go.

A far as his skinny body goes, he has put on some good size, but from hearing Aaron on the radio last year, he doesn't consider being massive as overly important.

Agree here and was a little surprised he was given more responsibility on Friday night to see how he went.

Would have given him a bit more time in the middle on Friday night rather than having him sit on the bench half the night. Can't learn much there

Aaron's kicking is his greatest concern, especially when delivering inside 50. Also his choice of option sometimes surprises me. Richmond needs a genuine winger - not another back flanker.

For me, this is Aaron's make or break year. :-/