Daily Player reviews #16 Ben Holland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Daily Player reviews #16 Ben Holland

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Part 16 in the series….

16 - Ben Holland

Position: Key Defender (underline Defender)
Height: 197cm
Weight: 100kg
Career Games: 116
Career Goals: 113
Draft History: Taken selection 19 in 1994 national draft by Fitzroy, he never
played a game for them and was traded to Richmond the following year for
selections 16 & 32 in the 1995 national draft.

2002 Averages: 4 games, 5.25 Kicks, 3 Marks, 4 Handballs, 0 Goals, 1.75
Tackles, 1.25 Rebounds, 0.75 Inside 50s, 1 Clearance, 1.75 Clangers

2002 Summary: Was pretty reasonable for the first three games, from memory
you'd say solid but not outstanding then did his knee round 4 in a game he was
truly terrible in, so it just wasn't his day. We lost a good part of our structure
when Holland departed.

Previously: I saw his first game in Brisbane and really thought we had a gun on
our hands. Played 11 games that year, but failed to really make an impact,
which given he was 18 wasn't too traumatic. He'd done enough and looked the
part to have a lot of people expecting him to really step up quickly. Improved in
97, but not at the expected rate, was around now (or the year later) he did start
to show his versatility by having the occasional stint in the ruck. Career really
continued on the same vein, steady but not spectacular and consistent in 1999
with a 4th in the B&F . In 2000 started to show some good form down back and
at the same time never really provided the target needed up forward in Richo's
absence. In 2001 after a slow start, had settled nicely into the backline, playing
his best (IMHO) footy of his career and finished 6th in the clubs B&F

Ability: 6 - Always looked to be a cut above average and probably one of
the "smarter" footballers at Tigerland.

Offence: 3.5 - I might get howled down, but I've never seen him as being a good
forward. Might do a lot of the little things, but not enough of the big things for
my liking. Might have found it difficult being shown up by the big lug (Richo), but
then again at the same time Hollands strengths were often Richo's weakness
and they should have complemented each other but it never seemed to work.

Defence: 6 - Above average and rising. The little things come into bigger play.
The ability to keep a key forward quiet, to spoil to advantage, to work hard
defensively at boundary throw-ins & ball ups, to exert physical presence on key
forwards. One big question mark is lack of mobility which can limit his range of
opponents.

Hardness: 6 - Above average, is strong and physical in a contest, but could use
his size to better effect at times, but maybe his lack of mobility means he can't
get his size to the right spot in times. Wouldn't call him aggressive, he's not the
type to pulverise.

Speed: 1.5 - Maybe alright if he can get going, but the guy ain't quick!

Stamina: 3 - Never looked to me to cover enough ground or make enough
contests to big a top line key position player. Looks the athletic type, but doesn't
seem to translate into great ground coverage.

Delivery: 5.5 - Above average foot skills, but in classic Richmond fashion seems
to manufacture a turn-over out of nowhere at times.

Air: 7 - Well above average. Not as good as Richardson or an Ottens and in
fact not great for a key position player, but better than he sometimes looks. Is
reasonably reliable and although doesn't take enough marks for my liking is
someone who isn't often beaten in the air, contesting the ball to ground a fair bit.

Ground: 3 - Not real comfortable with the ball down low, below average but not
that bad for a man 197cm tall.

Injury: 4 - Persistent shoulder problems, recent knee injury. Some big concerns.

Ruck: 5 - Compared with other ruckmen - I'd say about average, compared with
non-ruckmen, very good. If he was a bit more mobile I'd have thought he was
an ideal back-up/part-time ruck who fits nicely into a key position.

Temperament: 7.5 - Seems to have a very good temperament, looks
a "coachable" type.

Ball: 5.5 - No slouch, but no real great ball winner either.

Strengths: Strong and provides a big body down back to play on the "Gorilla's",
a good reader of the play capable of negating a strong marking forward.

Weaknesses: Lack of mobility, doesn't "impose" himself on games. Not great on
the ground & Injuries becoming a concern.

Overall: Probably didn't help him that he was touted so highly when arriving at
Tigerland. The raps on him were that he was better than his brother at the
same age (how often we heard something like that). He's a big size and very
good at doing all the "right" things, will provide the block, the dummy lead, the
shepherd, direct players in and out of space, bring the ball down to the smaller
guys, but doesn't do enough to create scoring opportunities as a forward and
while he would command respect, wouldn't cause an opposition coach
nightmares. Personally I don't think much of Holland as a forwards - he just
doesn't do enough to be dangerous to anyone but the weaker opposition. Has a
couple of 4 and 5 goal bags, but is more likely to chip in with one or two and
when Richo is missing he's rarely stood up for a big game up forward when
he's the main man. But those good abilities that don't shine as much as a
forward are even more valuable as a defender when the ball is being
channelled through his opponent and he's being taken to the ball more, he's far
more effective. The biggest beneficiary of a fit Holland is Gaspar (I know Benny
don't come cheap - but Gas should be directing a few of his $$'s his way) as
Holland is exactly the type to take the players Gas can't - the genuine big guys
who exploited him through 2002. One concern was shown in the first final in
2001 against Essendon. Sheedy basically didn't give Holland an opponent by
taking Lucas out of the forward line. Not many teams can afford to do this (With
Hird & Lloyd & co - Sheedy can), but it did show Holland's limitation in that he
has only really a select few opponents he can match-up on. I doubt Holland can
do a Richo in 96 and bounce back to top form straight after doing a Knee, but if
he can stand upright for 2003 he should be handy down back, even for the fact
that Gas can avoid the big lugs and A.K. can return to his best spot as third key
defender pick-pocketing entries into the forward 50.

What he needs to do?
1) I'm getting sick of typing this - but stay fit and in one piece.
2) Put some extra work into his ruck skills. Needs the versatility of swinging
into the Ruck or Forward when there's not an appropriate match-up.
3) Try and find an extra yard or two of pace (maybe not year 1 after a knee but
over the next couple of years) to expand the range of forwards he can take.
4) Take an angry pill or two every now and again. Gentle Giant sometimes
comes to mind.

I think I'll be the lone hand here somehow, but I prefer Dutchy to Richo at CHF.
He isn't as flashy but more reliable imo.
I think he presents better and makes a good contest, and I prefer Richo on a hff so he can run and jump and lead to the pockets to his hearts content.
I think Dutchy is one of our most important players because of his virsatility in being able to play any key position at a pinch.
He has good bulk and strength in the back line and was missed there bigtime last season.
Gas and AK will welcome him back for sure.
Dutchy might get off to a slow start, but with careful management I hope he's really hitting his straps towards the business end of the season.

IMO Holland has had one good year for us which was 2001. Up until then he had all the co-ordination of a new born foal.
He is important to the team structure because of his size. But if we had a decent youngster that could replace him I'd happily trade B Holland away tomorrow.
If he doesnt play the rest of his career like 2001 we have been ripped off big time!
And his brother is dud. They both have consistency and injury problems. I dont know if they are lazy or what but they have shown they have the ability but too often go missing.

Interesting Rosy, CHF? Hmmm, maybe... I think we need him to plug up CHB but if we had 2 of him, i wouldn't mind seeing him taking a key spot up forward either. Would be handy to take the heat off Richo and we'd still have a reliable forward to kick to when Richo is having one of his "moments" (tantrums).

I agree with OMH's friend. I didn't think Dutchy did much in our forward line. His career was at the crossroads until he moved to CHB.

I prefer Dutchy in the backline too, but I'd like a decent option to Richo at CHF on the days he cracks them cos things aren't going his way.
He's as handy as teats on a bull in that situation, and is too undisclipined and unreliable at times to hold that vital spot.

Interesting comments. I think it shows players shouldn't be pigeon holed into positions or forever judged on where they played in their earlier days.

Against Collingwood Dutchy did very well when he went to CHF. It's the first time this season we've had some stability in that position.

Usually the ball gets that far then turns over again.

I still stand by my comments from Feb. Dutchy is a far better option at CHF than Richo imo.

Have a good pre season Dutchy, the team needs you fit and firing next year no matter what end of the ground.

I think Richmond has been missing something in their structure since Benny Gale retired, namely, the ability to float across CHF or CHB and take those timely marks that were a feature of his game. Dutch is the closest thing the Tiges have to a replacement for Benny, plus OK as a pinch-hit ruckman. I think when Dutch played CHB he made Gaz look good. The back lines are more balanced when Dutch is "in form" and his inclusion in the team makes it easier for Otto & Richo & Stafford & gives Spud another choice to switch forward when needed.

if he doesnt get injured he will be ok for melbourne in the backline, nothing great.

He was never going to be much at Richmond, he needed to be at another club to become a better player.

I mean we basically traded him and pick 6 for brown.