Daily Player reviews #31 Chris Hyde | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Daily Player reviews #31 Chris Hyde

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Part 29 in the series….

31 – Chris Hyde

Position: Half Back
Height: 183
Weight: 81
Career Games: 2
Career Goals: 0
Draft History: Drafted Selection 41 in 2000 National Draft, Delisted after 1 year, redrafted 2001 National Draft selection 68. I mentioned at the time this was strange, his delisting effectively gave us pick 90 in the draft, and we then used 68, we also then draft McGrath after a guy we delisted? Maybe some contract funny business, can't explain it other than very poor planning otherwise.

2002 Averages: 2 games, 4 Kicks, 1.5 Marks, 2 Handballs, 0 Goals, 1 Tackle, 2 Rebounds, 0.5 Inside 50s, 0 Clearance, 1.5 Clangers

2002 Summary: Debut against Carlton in Round 14 after having been an emergency 7 times previously, barely touched the ball and turned it over when he did. Was retained for the round 15 game against Brisbane and struggled again, although did start to find some footy as the game went on. Was reasonably good without being outstanding for Coburg, and really probably got his senior debut more by default as he wasn't exactly staring at that stage. Interestingly enough, did play his best footy after returning back to Coburg and had a good Finals series.

Previously: Spent all 2001 at Coburg where he was fair for that level, but failed to really stand out. Was Co-Captain of Murray Bushrangers U18's in 2000 (with Craig Ednie & Marc Bullen).

Ability: 2 - I'm going to start out harsh, but everytime I've seen him he looks nothing more than a reasonable VFL level player - I don't see an AFL player in him.

Offence: 2.5 - Doesn't look like a forward option, not one to create an opportunity, lacks the skills to be a "finisher"

Defence: 3.5 - Might make a run-with player, but didn't seem overly competent defending a man and was very loose a few times when I saw him.

Hardness: 4 - Seemed reasonably willing to take punishment to the body, would say he has a go at least.

Speed: 6.5 - Probably his main "selling point", looked genuinely quick at times.

Stamina: 6 - Looks to me to be a pretty strong runner, along with his pace, his strong point.

Delivery: 3 - Substandard, even for a guy just starting out. No-pressure errors a big worry for a guy looking to play midfield.

Air: 3.5 - I'm not really sure here, he is fairly reliable when running out wide to receive, but doesn't look to have the greatest hands, will reassess as we go here for sure.

Ground: 3 - More a running receiver (not a criticism - more that's his strength) than a great in and close ground player, this low score probably reflects my opinion of his skills overall.

Injury: 5 - Early days, has had a couple of minor soft tissue injuries.

Temperament: 7 - Has a reputation of being a good leader, not seen anything to concern me in this area.

Ball: 3 - Seems a reasonable ball winner at VFL level, would need to improve dramatically.

Strengths: Has good running ability, looks like he's prepared to have a go, and apparently has good leadership qualities.

Weaknesses: Looks to lack the raw talent to play at the top level, not great hands and poor skills.

Overall: I saw a fair bit of Coburg in 2001, much less in 2002, and while my general view with kids is you don't delist after one year, I was prepared to break that rule for Hyde. He just looks too much like a VFL level player only and was probably a better option on the Rookie list than the main one. He may have good running capabilities but poor skills and decision making with plenty of disposal errors. To give him credit he did finish 2002 off well with Coburg. I'd be very surprised if Hyde was with Richmond in 2004. Got no reason to dislike him, just don't think he's a player, although something about him makes me hope I wrong (might be the black and yellow Guernsey). I think if he's to have a career he needs to develop his strength and turn into a run-with type, capable of running with the quality speedsters in the league, but will need to improve his skill level.

What he needs to do?
1) Survive the cut this year. Early signs don't look good that he's made the necessary improvements.
2) Skill work, his style of play, his type of player, you can't be coughing the ball up as much as he does.
3) Work harder getting back on his man and tighten up defensively.

You will find Hyde was delisted as to get the list down to the required 32? before the national draft. As he was a first year player and on a 2 year contract, he had to be redrafted if he wasn't picked by another club.

I don't mind Hyde, would like to see him be given a go. Give him 4-5 games without fear of demotion and see how he fares.

Rampaging Richo said:
I don't mind Hyde, would like to see him be given a go.  Give him 4-5 games without fear of demotion and see how he fares.

Funny how we were singing for this April last year adn it took him until may 04 to get some ground time. Great development.

I think this player review was wrong. I like hyde and think he will be useful.

I'm a fan of Hyde too
Don't think he'll be a Coughlan or Judd but perhaps a Bowden?
Gets alot of the ball for an under rated player and while he doesn't set the world on fire he doesn't do too much wrong either

GOOD work with the edit of Bentleigh Aunt Rosy... was it my pointing it out that brought it to your attention? Do you think the rest of the gang think I'm a snitch?

NOT sure how that got there, it was meant for another page, LOL.
What I meant to type was

I'm with you on this one Stu. For more information on Chris Hyde visit the increasingly poplular thread '31' in the Tiger Talk section.

Also, don't forget to get involved in the Summer BBQ at Daylesford. (see below)