Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

DIMMA TAKES A GIANT LEAP

RUSSELL GOULD
RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick revealed he had tapped into his former assistant, and now GWS coach Adam Kingsley, after the Giants’ stirring second-half comeback over the Crows in round 1 as the Tigers prepare to confront Adelaide.
He said the Crows’ first half was “quite exhilarating” and that’s what they are preparing for as they look to turn the tables on a 19-point loss in last year’s contest at the Adelaide Oval.
“We know when Adelaide played their best, the ground lends itself to high pressure, high contest footy.” Hardwick said.
“They’ve got really dangerous forwards and we have a good understanding of what they bring and how they play … they touched us up last year.
“So we’re going to make sure we go over there and understand this is a good side that have troubled us and we’re going to make sure we play our very best footy.”
Meanwhile, Hardwick hasn’t quite bought into the idea that the bump is dead to the game as some others coaches espouse.
The triple premiership coach says the “volatile” nature of the game will make bad collisions unavoidable no matter what law makers try.
Three big hits in the opening round of the season that resulted in suspensions of varying lengths and injuries of different degrees, as lawsuits over historical treatment of concussion swirl, has made the bump the biggest talking point in the game.
Several AFL coaches said it was no longer a part of their coaching philosophy, with tackling preferred, and some leading players even declared it had to be eradicated.
While Hardwick subscribed to the tackle before bump theory, he said split-second decision making in the heat of battle would always be a part of the game and bumps would occur regardless of how much players tried to avoid them.
“There are going to be accidents in game you know,” he said on Thursday. “Players don‘t deliberately go out there and try and hurt opposition players, but the fact of the matter is, it is a volatile game.
“It‘s easy to say not to bump, but then when you’re in that situation, sometimes it does happen. I think we’ve just got to accept that it does happen. We’ve just got to make sure that no one gets hurt.
“We prefer the guys to tackle, but until you’re in that situation and you’ve got to make that split second decision, it’s tough. We’ll be talking about it now, and we’ll be talking about for the next 10 years, so it’s just one of those things.
“The head is the most important thing we protect. Obviously, with the current situation with where the AFL landscape lies, we’ve just got to make sure that we continue to protect the player.”

Dimma a tiger legend with three flags.

Also is really in esteemed company from an AFL perspective ……

”He is fourth on the all-time AFL list for most games coached by a one club coach, behind Geelong’s Reg Hickey 304, Essendon’s *smile* Reynolds 415, and Collingwood’s Jock McHale 714.

And he will be one of only eight men to have coached 300 games or more at the one club, with the others being Hickey, Reynolds, McHale, Kevin Sheedy (Essendon), Allan Jeans (St Kilda), Norm Smith (Melbourne) and Alastair Clarkson (Hawthorn).”

Amazing performance really

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Dimma a tiger legend with three flags.

Also is really in esteemed company from an AFL perspective ……

”He is fourth on the all-time AFL list for most games coached by a one club coach, behind Geelong’s Reg Hickey 304, Essendon’s *smile* Reynolds 415, and Collingwood’s Jock McHale 714.

And he will be one of only eight men to have coached 300 games or more at the one club, with the others being Hickey, Reynolds, McHale, Kevin Sheedy (Essendon), Allan Jeans (St Kilda), Norm Smith (Melbourne) and Alastair Clarkson (Hawthorn).”

Amazing performance really
considering the turmoil 2016 brought , even more so

Sanderson on SEN "Craig McRae changed the game".......bloody hell. Short memories this lot in the media have.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
It’s interesting the different lens premierships add…. Great coach, but I think his overall winning % is around 57….(someone will prove me wrong)… whereas other coaches would be under pressure for similar. Interesting times, great coach and a great achievement

Reactions: 1 user
It’s interesting the different lens premierships add…. Great coach, but I think his overall winning % is around 57….(someone will prove me wrong)… whereas other coaches would be under pressure for similar. Interesting times, great coach and a great achievement
I don't think you can count his early years when we were a basket case of a club. He has obviously been a part of the resurgence and I think his performances 2013 onwards and since are more relevant, especially the most recent years. Still getting us close every year, judge on the now not on the past.

Reactions: 3 users